Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 11:09   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 30
South Africa to Barbados

My wife and I thought we had crew but they fell through. Looking for one or two crew (2 male, 2 female, or a couple since you will be sharing a cabin). Leaving Cape Town around December 5th with stops in Namibia, St Helena, Ascension and Barbados, before settling down in Grenada. Your time commitment should be in the six week range. You will be responsible for transportation to and from the boat.

The boat is a well-equipped Bristol 45.5 which is completing a circumnavigation in the Caribbean. We are a Canadian couple who are good company. We are looking for crew with at least some bluewater experience.
Old 20-12-2013, 11:13   #2

Re: South Africa to Barbados

Hi, I'm in Cape Town, South Africa, looking to crew to South America (Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina) or the Caribbean as soon as possible, later, or whenever possible. Am presently doing a Competent Crew course but am prepared to do anything more than that. I can: cook; handyman; jack of all trades; general repairs; work on diesel and petrol motors; deckhand; read charts & am learning to navigate; etc....
I did a lot of small boat sailing as a teenager and four open sea voyages in Europe over the years (although I'm originally from SA, I lived for 33 years in Europe - am still based in Belgium). I love the sea and sailing - was always a dream of mine to just keep on sailing.
I speak:
- English - fluently;
- Deutsch - ziemlich fließend;
- Italiano - abbastanza fluentemente;
- Nederlands - vlot genoeg;
- Français - modérément;
- Español - moderadamente;
- Brazilian Portuguese - am learning it now;
- Afrikaans - more or less.
I'm a professional musician: alto saxophone and one-man-band/showman to entertain all onboard during the voyage.
email: townsendjonathan@msn.com
tel: +27(0)789125317
Jonathan Townsend
Old 24-12-2013, 08:15   #3

Hi again,
I suppose you already left SA. Have a good voyage.
Jonathan
Old 29-12-2013, 16:24   #4

Hello. I only have two weeks of vacation from march 2nd-16th 2014. I'm interested in helping out to further my experience. If I can assist in part, or in whole, let me know.
-Gene
Old 30-12-2013, 11:18   #5

Hey!

Hope your trip is safely underway. I have extensive sailing/racing experience in the Great Lakes and blue water passage making. Would love to help on the next leg of your voyage if needed. My contact info is mostapiak@gmail.com or 289-442-0365. Feel free to call or text at anytime.

Thanks
Mark
Old 03-01-2014, 23:16   #6

Good luck on the crossing. What is the name of your boat? I'll keep an eye out for it while I'm there.
Old 28-01-2014, 03:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
My wife and I thought we had crew but they fell through. Looking for one or two crew (2 male, 2 female, or a couple since you will be sharing a cabin). Leaving Cape Town around December 5th with stops in Namibia, St Helena, Ascension and Barbados, before settling down in Grenada. Your time commitment should be in the six week range. You will be responsible for transportation to and from the boat.

The boat is a well-equipped Bristol 45.5 which is completing a circumnavigation in the Caribbean. We are a Canadian couple who are good company. We are looking for crew with at least some bluewater experience.
I asume this boat has left sa allready, if not reply via email to cland1@telkomsa.net as i am available and has done all the nessary courses in sailing, and want to gain sailing experience.
Pierre
Old 31-01-2014, 09:02   #8

Hey guys,

I keep seeing your ad so I'm not sure if you've departed South Africa yet. If not, allow me to introduce myself:

I'm Simon, a 31 year-old (next week 32) Aussie. I'm a nomadic adventure writer bartering my way around the world without flying on very flexible dates, destinations and on pretty flexible legs. I seek a position as a participating member of a crew heading anywhere to South\Central America.

I'm currently travelling in Madagascar after 34 days at sea. Should arrive in South Africa mid-March (winds-pending).

Ready to hoist sails when you are.

Sailing Experience:
Darwin, Australia to Kupang, West Timor, Indonesia - 516 nautical miles on a 50-foot Ketch, 'Tropicbird' with a crew of 7.

The following destinations were sailed on a 47-foot Sloop, 'San
Miguel' with a crew of 3:

Phuket, Thailand to Galle, Sri Lanka - 1087 nautical miles

Galle, Sri Lanka to Chagos Archipelago - 1006 nautical miles

Chagos Archipelago to Agalega, Mauritius - 1090 nautical miles

Agalega to Nosy Be, Madagascar - 603 nautical miles

And soon to be added, Madagascar to Capetown

Total sea miles: 4,302 nautical miles

I won't win the America's Cup any time soon but have gained some a better understanding of the principles of sailing... I think.

Attributes:

- Bloody hard worker
- Bloody reliable
- Bloody good cook (picked up a few extra galley tricks with a French chef)
- Bloody quick and bloody eager learner
- Bloody good team player
- Bloody good at taking on responsibilities
- Bloody helpful at helping with the preparation of your vessel

As far as I know (which isn't far), I don't get seasick. I'm an avid surfer (most people call it 'wiping out'), a great swimmer (most people call it 'drowning'), love to write and meeting new folk. I love learning new skills and I have an urge to sail. Can't explain it, it's just in me, denying me to fly.

If you think I'm the missing link to your crew (which, let's face it, I am), I'd be happy to meet 'n' greet in person anytime-anywhere around South Africa (once I get there).

To get more of a feel for who I am here's the link to my website: thenomadicdiaries | seeing the world in high definition

Let me know if the ad and timing is relevant.

Regards,
Simon

Tags
Africa, Barbados, South Africa