Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2008, 20:10   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Hmm, wise words from Pelagic.

Having been a Merchant Mariner on big ships as well as passenger on cruise ships as well as charter guest on smaller boats and owner/operator of small boats with charter guests onboard I can certainly agree.

Unless ya hire a "Hotel Director" to deal with the pax, ya are stuck being a slave to spoiled eco-tourists or adventure-junkies that are to lazy to do their own real adventure, instead they hire on a few weeks or months and expect their payment to outrank the Master and by the way, my coffe is not right, please bring me a fresh cup Captain..

Better screen the customers good before ya cast off them dock lines.
Old 25-03-2008, 21:36   #17

Boat: small ship 36m Tateyama Maru private charter research vessel
wise words and thank you.

but you r putting me off somewhat I understand what u a r saying and without question i agree with you .

hotel type simple life aboard on the great barrier reef we provide you a lock up cabin for your security etc you pay us in advance the rest is up to u.

if you want food buy it from us or negociate with us in advance come and go as you please , just some ideas .

whatever else thank you for your input i think i will go buy a lotto ticket
Old 26-03-2008, 00:44   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Piratepat, it is not as dour as CSY suggests and with your intimate size all the crew will need to be multifunctional and not above helping each other out, with the Captain setting the example.

It is a great lifestyle if you have a positive attitude (i.e.…no ego). Being less formal you can have a lot of fun with the guests, make great friends and it can be much more rewarding than being on a cruise ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepat View Post
hotel type simple life aboard on the great barrier reef we provide you a lock up cabin for your security etc you pay us in advance the rest is up to u.

I think you are on the right track, but a few suggestions to take advantage of your type of ship.

1. Being a tough, seaworthy vessel that can do many things, so look at areas where there is not much tourist competition established already and also utilize the commercial side in areas where a primary industry might need your services in the off tourist season.

2. Develop a base tourist attraction (like kayaking tours) that lends itself to you being the mothership, providing a lock-up cabin and a hot shower for guests who are mostly off the ship.

3. Provide simple hearty meals, it is a lot less hassle than a do it yourself mess and that way you and the crew eat for free.

Let me describe a very simple itinerary in an area near you that has those attributes.

· Your guests fly in to Alotau: S 10:19 , E 150:27, boarding in Milne Bay PNG for a 2 week kayaking/snorkelling tour to some of the world most prolific marine nurseries and breathtaking islands.

· Overnight out to the Conflict Group (10:47/151:49) where the kayakers explore inside the safety of a remote Atoll, enjoying camping on their own deserted beaches, snorkelling for lobster

· After a few days acclimatising, kayak in stages heading west over shallow reefs and small islets downwind towards the Islands framing China Pass

· Kayak the fast waters of China Pass and explore the old trading station at Samarai Island (13:37/150:40)

There is so much more there in that area I could fill pages but the other part (Commercial jobs) would be done by informing the Australian and International Mining companies of your availability.

To me, doing that kind of stuff is better than winning the Lottery!
Old 26-03-2008, 01:19   #19

Sorry but,20 passengers in 9 rooms booked for 1 wk + ya buy ya own food and alcohol.What would you imagine the base price would be per person?It would have to be very high just to run the crew and pay for diesel,insurance and any other Tax required.Lots of luck.Mudnut.
Old 26-03-2008, 23:54   #20

Pelagic.See now that WOULD work!!! Mudnut.
Old 28-03-2008, 14:08   #21

pelagic

Pelagic that is a very good idea and i just have to work through the practical issues related to an adventure of this kind.

I am considereing a start on the Great Barrier reef shadowing the cruising fleet provide support services some stores, ice, extra accomodation, toys maybe even some night life entertainment from time to time.
Much the same as the American shadow boat concept but at a different level.

I have got to keep my costs down every which way i look especially labor costs.

In good conditions I can handle the ship on my own including my wife but i do not want to find myself in this situation when the weather changes, because then its not so easy.

Ideally I would be looking for another couple who can provide either captain services or engine room service as I can provide either.

The only real issue I see in the Great Barrier Reef area is treading on other peoples toes . We just lost a job here in Brisbane because a local Politician wanted a job for his mates and demonstrated his influence over the project to our loss.

We know and expect to be confronted with these kind of issues and it certainly doesnt make live any easier.

Thanks for the help offered from everybody.
please keep it up
Old 28-03-2008, 17:12   #22

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Stepping on toes.

Great idea Piratepat I can only guess from your comments that an opportunity was lost in Brisvegas .The further north you go the more toes get stepped on.Marine park permits ,licencing,boat survey etc.have all got to be 100% to pass insurance and legal operation.Once you start charging people to be on your vessel youll need master class 1 and full survey then permits for Barrier Reef marine parks,without this you will be stepping on over 200 licenced boats toes.Following the annual cruising fleet north would probably not be cost effective due to most boats day island hopping and usually only a day or so to next town to restock food and grog as they "we" head sailing north ,where you would be burning fuel for bugger all sales of stores.Maybe if you were to go to Lizard Island for an extended stay at anchor and do a fortnightly run to Cooktown to replentish food booze and fuel to restock cruising boats there may be a profit if the southerly trades dont turn.Have lost count of the ideas to make money while travelling by boat with your type of vessel would look at selling shares to intersted couples and run as co op .Good luck and ill drop in with a beer when i see you.Geoff.
Old 31-03-2008, 00:58   #23

WHEN I GET NORTH ALL MY TOES WILL BE GONE Then WHAT AM I GOING TO DO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
Great idea Piratepat I can only guess from your comments that an opportunity was lost in Brisvegas .The further north you go the more toes get stepped on.Marine park permits ,licencing,boat survey etc.have all got to be 100% to pass insurance and legal operation.Once you start charging people to be on your vessel youll need master class 1 and full survey then permits for Barrier Reef marine parks,without this you will be stepping on over 200 licenced boats toes.Following the annual cruising fleet north would probably not be cost effective due to most boats day island hopping and usually only a day or so to next town to restock food and grog as they "we" head sailing north ,where you would be burning fuel for bugger all sales of stores.Maybe if you were to go to Lizard Island for an extended stay at anchor and do a fortnightly run to Cooktown to replentish food booze and fuel to restock cruising boats there may be a profit if the southerly trades dont turn.Have lost count of the ideas to make money while travelling by boat with your type of vessel would look at selling shares to intersted couples and run as co op .Good luck and ill drop in with a beer when i see you.Geoff.

Yo Geoff.

We are the way through the legal hoops even insurance Registered as class 2C for 10 passengers plus 4 crew. Heading down to the Clarence river in about 2 weeks for slipping and then we are free to come north.

We had a small job with the Desalination plant at Tugan what a **** fight it turned out to be. Unqualified incompetent people who bulshit the politicians and what does a politician know about, nothing about anything except lying and taking his take

Dont expect it to be any different for us travelling north pretty selfish world we live in.

I just watch my back as best i can and if they get caught tough luck for them

Easy way to start is just an accomodation block no charter keeps me out of the GBRMA and selling ice and bottled water.

Thanks for the input stop by if u r in Brissy

Regards
The Pirate