Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2013, 14:15   #1

Skipper Wanted for Delivery BC to Alaska

Hey all! I am new to this site and to sailing. I am looking at purchasing a 30' sailboat that is in Gibsons, BC. My boyfriend and I are inexperienced sailors but experienced boaters. We will need someone to help us get this boat from BC to Juneau around November/December.

I am wondering about availability of experienced skippers and pricing. Also, if anyone has suggestions about good sites for finding reliable crew.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Adrienne
Old 24-07-2013, 14:20   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Skipper wanted for delivery BC to Alaska

Welcome to the forum, you might have a bit of a challenge going that way, that time of year. Seems like a lot of lows stack up and bash the PNW that time of year, though you sometimes get a clear shot for a couple of weeks. Good Luck.
Old 24-07-2013, 14:32   #3

Thank you. We may end up moving the date forward or pushing it back. We are somewhat flexible with the timeline. But either way we need a skipper.
Old 24-07-2013, 14:40   #4

We are both engaged in seasonal work, but if there is a crew willing to deliver it without us present during the summer/fall we may be open to that as well. Southeast is beautiful in the summer.
Old 25-07-2013, 05:59   #5

Hey Adrienne,
I am 23, Yacht master offshore with over 30,000 sea miles under my belt. This sounds like an amazing trip I would love to be a part of it. Where in BC are you? How much would you be willing to pay a skipper. Or even maybe work out something and just cover flights. I am based in New England, but could get up to Toronto pretty easily (much cheaper, domestic flight).
Let me know! This trip sounds awesome!!
email: tristan.desilva@gmail.com
Tristan De Silva
Old 26-07-2013, 19:40   #6

Experienced blue water sailor and delivery skipper. Long time PNW resident, previous passages to Junneau, Glacier Bay, etc. Might be available and just plain interested. Maintaining a hard schedule unlikely that time of year because weather Rules all. So many great places to hole up and wait though. Love to share experiences with minimum ego and plenty of patience.
Need airfare, vittles and cost covered. Over and above that very negotiable.
Private contact prefered: praxical@live.com
Old 26-07-2013, 21:39   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
Re: Skipper Wanted for Delivery BC to Alaska

After "Fogust" the weather gets pretty nasty and the days are getting really short up north. We came back in late August a few years ago and had to hole-up for two days already north of Bella Bella. Some stretches in the long reaches have no protection for long distances. Occasionally, it takes a full day (in summer) to get from one safe anchorage to the next. Latest I would do it is September.

Ask fishermen for advise, specifically American, as the go up and down for the season from the Seattle area every year.

In summer time it is heaven!!

Tags
alaska, delivery, skipper, wanted