Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 15:02   #1

Skipper wanted-Bundaberg to Brisbane

Hi

Looking for an experienced skipper to help us navigate our lovely yacht 'watermusic' from Bundaberg to Brisbane. Financial situation has forced a change of plan and we need to head to the big city to make our money before we can set off cruising. We are a small family, Husband/wife and 23 month old baby. We have little in the way we can offer apart from hearty meals, good company, lots of books to read and a rail ticket back to Bundaberg or nearest place. Husband has experience of sailing but this will be the second time she has been taken out under our watch and so we really need someone with the relevant/local knowledge to ensure a safe passage.
We hope that you are the person to assist us on our journey!
Rob, Laura and Summer
Old 09-05-2012, 15:09   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Skipper wanted-Bundaberg to Brisbane

Its pretty easy.
Keep the land on the right, try not to hit it and stop when you get to the tall buildings.

What sort of boat?
Old 09-05-2012, 15:34   #3

Spray replica

I hear what you are saying about it being pretty easy, as told by other boaties I have spoken to, however she is a big girl and it will be only the second time we have taken her out (the first was with an experienced skipper and was more of a sail about, then back to berth) hence the reason for the post. Cheers
Old 09-05-2012, 15:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermusic 1 View Post
Spray replica
There are a few in that list.
I thought you may have been restricted by draft, but it looks like even the biggest should be fine getting down the inside.

Quote:
SPRAY SAILBOATS:
PLANS & FULL SIZE PATTERNS
Spray 22 Trailerable sailboat plans
Spray 27 Trailerable sailboat plans
Spray 28 Cruising Sailboat plans
Spray 33 Cruising Sailboat plans
Spray 36 Cruising Sailboat plans
Spray 38 Cruising Sailboat plans
Spray 40 Cruising Sailboat plans
Spray 55 Cruising Sailboat plans
NEW C-Spray 30 TRAILERABLE Sailboat
C-Spray 34 RB Cruising Sailboat plans
C-Spray 36 RB Cruising Sailboat plans
C-Spray 38 RB Cruising Sailboat plans
C-SPRAY 425 Cruising Sailboat plans
C-Spray 45 RB Cruising Sailboat plans
C-Spray 50 RB Cruising Sailboat plans
Old 09-05-2012, 17:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

thought the trip south from bundaberg may look easy on paper , i would reccomend having an experianced skipper onboard,
as conditions can very rapidly become challenging on any part of the australian coast.
i would also reccomend taking the out side route with a favourable weather forecast,currents run strong in hervey bay and the southern exit can be quite nasty in the wrong conditions.

money spent on a good skipper is money well spent,and will allow you to get to know your boat with confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermusic 1 View Post
Spray replica

I hear what you are saying about it being pretty easy, as told by other boaties I have spoken to, however she is a big girl and it will be only the second time we have taken her out (the first was with an experienced skipper and was more of a sail about, then back to berth) hence the reason for the post. Cheers
Old 10-05-2012, 01:36   #6

p.s. she is a 48ft cutter rigged ketch, about 10 years old and all ready to be cat 1 exept raft and offshore flares. we also have a recent survey showing she is sea worthy.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:53   #7

Boat: Traditional 30

It sounds like a lovely classic lined boat. Are you suggesting taking the baby on the trip? that's how it reads. On a side note. Ask around the yacht club at bundy and let nearby sailing schools know you are looking for crew as well as a skipper. You may find an inshore inshore instructor wanting to get his offshore hours up so he can teach offshore as well.

Yes she is a big girl. You will need more than just one experienced person on board if the youknowwhat hits the fan. Good luck with the trip. Thats a lovely part of the world.
Old 10-05-2012, 13:46   #8

since we traded our earthquake damaged homes insurance for her, Watermusic is now our family home. This is a good idea, i will see who I can find at the Port marina and the Bundy cruising club this weekend.
Old 10-05-2012, 14:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thought the trip south from bundaberg may look easy on paper , i would reccomend having an experianced skipper onboard,
as conditions can very rapidly become challenging on any part of the australian coast.
i would also reccomend taking the out side route with a favourable weather forecast,currents run strong in hervey bay and the southern exit can be quite nasty in the wrong conditions.

money spent on a good skipper is money well spent,and will allow you to get to know your boat with confidence.
Go round rather than inside? No way that would be my choice!

For a start you'd have to head way north, just to get round Breaksea spit!

Bundy to Hervey bay is an easy day sail. Go with a rising tide and you'll have a favourable current nearly the whole way.

The inside of Fraser island is full of safe, sheltered anchorages. A spray will have no trouble with draught down the sandy straits. Plan to be at Sheridan flats at high tide, and you'll have no problems at all.

Wide bay bar has a reputation, and rightly so, but it is fine as long as the swell is less than 2 metres. Again, go near high tide.

If the weather turns nasty, I'd far sooner be west of Fraser than stuck east of it!
Old 10-05-2012, 15:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

Bundy to Hervey bay is an easy day sail. Go with a rising tide and you'll have a favourable current nearly the whole way.

The inside of Fraser island is full of safe, sheltered anchorages. A spray will have no trouble with draught down the sandy straits. Plan to be at Sheridan flats at high tide, and you'll have no problems at all.

Wide bay bar has a reputation, and rightly so, but it is fine as long as the swell is less than 2 metres. Again, go near high tide.

If the weather turns nasty, I'd far sooner be west of Fraser than stuck east of it!
+1
Though it
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
may look easy on paper
to go outside you certainly have a lot more options on the inside.
VMR Tin Can Bay will provide all the details needed for safe transit across the bar, make sure you speak to them and log on and remember to log off after you are across.
Old 10-05-2012, 15:09   #11

Bundy - Hervey bay looks good for this coming Sunday - W-SW at 10 - 15 knots. Nice gentle offshore breeze - perfect.
Old 10-05-2012, 15:09   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

if time or cost is not an issue, working the tides,motor sailing and waiting for the right conditions on wide bay bar whilst paying someone a daily rate,by all means take the inside route.........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

Old 10-05-2012, 15:17   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

And after my recent nervousness I'd add make sure your bottom and prop are totally clean, don't hesitate to use a little extra throttle and check weather forecasts for at least a few days before you go.

A few extra crew would help, even if they don't have much experience.
Old 10-05-2012, 15:25   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

What 44C said. Bundy to Hervey Bay - easy simple day sail. A day or so day sailing down the inside of Fraser. Wait at Inskip for the Wide Bay Bar to be good, Day sail to Mooloolaba ( I often anchor at Double Island Point but it can be a bit rolly in a mono - mind you the spray of that size will probably be quite comfy at double island) or if nice weather a half night extra to the west of moreton then anywhere you like in the bay after that.

I would go the outside if particularly pleasant north winds were on offer, and enjoy the run straight to Brisbane. But its fifty miles north east from Bundy to Breaksea spit before you can turn south. So it add a fair bit of extra milage. From the sound of these folk a number of pleasant and easy day sails may be more enjoyable.

When do you want to go? I'm busy until mid June, but I would be happy to go for the sail then, maybe to late for you. Where in Brisbane?
Old 10-05-2012, 15:37   #15

Thanks for all the messages/info guys. LookING to leave around the 20th or at least that week as will have a job waiting for me on arrival. Look at heading up to a berth in Manly, unfortunately my partner has not be able to again employment in Bundy (still waiting for teacher registration) and so we are living on my wage. Times are hard (as I am sure they are for most other people) so need to get to Brisbane asap.

Tags
brisbane, skipper