Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 14:43   #1

Question SEEKING SEA TIME – CORPUS CHRISTI AREA

I am looking for open ocean sailing time on coastal cruisers in the Corpus Christi bay area. I am an experienced lake sailor having sailed on Canyon Lake for over 20 years on my father’s 22’ Catalina. I am making the transition to open water sailing. I have completed the following American Sailing Associations (ASA) courses:

· ASA 101 - Basic Keelboat Sailing Course
· ASA 103 - Basic Coastal Cruising Sailing Course
· ASA 104 - Bareboat Cruising Certification Class

with Captain Chris out of Learn to Sail Texas in Corpus Christi. He will be happy to provide a reference for me. I qualified on the 103 and 104 was a 30’ Hunter. Although, I have limited ocean sailing experience, I would like more time on the water to feel comfortable as an eventual skipper. My goal is to get the confidence to skipper a boat of my own for rental on vacation or to purchase a boat of my own in a couple of years.

I am looking for hours on the water on a boat over 30’ in length. I would like practice as the skipper getting the crew organized, planning the trip, navigation, docking maneuvers, VHF radio calls, etc. I would like to sail around the Corpus Christi Bay area, the Texas Intercostals, Port Aransas, Rockport, and of course venture into the Gulf of Mexico – which I have never done. I would also love to do an overnighter/ multiple day trip from one of the Texas Gulf Cities to the next (Houston, Corpus, South Padre Island) to get the experience of a few nights at sea.

I am willing to pay up to $100.00 a day, plus fuel, plus extra for overnight or berthing. I am willing to pay for all of my meals, provisions, and travel.

If interested in training a future captain, please respond and I can give you my contact information.
Old 20-09-2013, 18:41   #2

Re: SEEKING SEA TIME – CORPUS CHRISTI AREA

Lets chat. Have a 36' in the Corpus Marina and need some people to sail with when I am in town. Kevin 512.917.four seven eight two.
Old 20-09-2013, 18:59   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Don't forget the harvest moon regatta is coming up. Many crew positions to be found, race or delivering the boat back to clear lake texas .
We have a Texas Social group, be sure to post there too
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Texas Group
Old 20-09-2013, 19:43   #4

Great point Ocean Girl. I am crewing it this year. Will be my first time - really looking forward to it.
Old 21-09-2013, 04:30   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Don't forget the harvest moon regatta is coming up. Many crew positions to be found, race or delivering the boat back to clear lake texas .
We have a Texas Social group, be sure to post there too
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Texas Group
+1. Harvest Moon is a great way to build some sea time and meet other sailors...Ive run it many times.