Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 04:17   #1

Seeking One Experienced Sailor with Circumnavigation Their Sights

Seeking long term, committed adventurers/sailors for west bound circumnavigation embarking December, 2012, from Fort Lauderdale. Age, gender not critical; positive outlook, open-mindedness, curiosity about people and places a must!
Here's a bit about me and my mission. I'm a physician in semi-retirement, at the moment finishing up a few years also as a goat herder/cheese maker and taking a sabbatical from work in women's health. Circumstances and modest savings permit me to get back to one of my first loves (other than my mother) of sailing. I have just purchased an Atlantic 46 catamaran designed by Chris White and sitting in Florida. I did a lot of monohull sailing between 1995 and 2006 in the Atlantic (Bermuda), the Bahamas, the Caribbean, and off the coast of California. This would be my first trip through the Panama Canal and the South Pacific. My hope is to circumnavigate if all works well and crew turn out to be dedicated to the idea and compatible.
I am a pretty laid back, open-minded, non-religious adventure minded person. I look forward to seeing new places and taking things as they come. I am an amateur musician, love reading, am fairly wordy and enjoy discussing anything from politics to you name it, even play a little bridge.
Currently, regarding crew, I have a Canadian man definitely committed to at least six months and maybe more who has a woman friend who may join up along the way. There is also an Italian sailor who's very interested plus a couple of others interested in short stints. I would prefer longer commitments although I realize anything can happen along the way. Of course, I have family and friends who might meet up at different points as I hope you may.
As far as expense sharing, that remains to be seen although my intentions are to keep things as simple as possible. I would like at most four including myself aboard and that would keep food, fuel, visas, transit expenses to a minimum. I am guessing with four folks, $400-600/month/person would be in the ballpark Obviously, boat maintenance is my responsibility.
I hope this gives you a thumb nail sketch of things in the wind. Oh, I hope to launch sometime in early December and would love to have crew aboard before then to help prepare the boat for its journey. Crew will have to pay their ways to the boat.
I'm sure I've left lots of things out so please fire back with questions.
Tim
Old 02-11-2012, 21:13   #2

re: Seeking One Experienced Sailor with Circumnavigation Their Sights

Hi Tim,

Sounds like a tremendous opportunity! I am an RYA Coastal Skipper and my wife is ASA104 qualified. We have blocked out the next 5 years or so to go sailing. Are you interested in having a couple along?

Please PM me if you're interested.

Kind regards,

Bryce.
Old 02-11-2012, 21:25   #3

Boat: 41' Sail

Really?! WoW! Yet another incredible opportunity for some very lucky sailors. I only wish I was available for the proposed sailing plan and I would gladly throw one my Mount Gay Rum hats in to the ring for consideration! When I was much younger I was fortunate to have opportunites like this cross my path and I took them! Boy Howdy! I wish you only great experiences and safe passages! Cheers~ Jeffry
Old 03-11-2012, 08:18   #4

Boat: 1974 American 23'

I am interested in your sailing plans. I just joined this Forum yesterday and I'm not sure if what I am writing is private or public. Please PM me.
Thanks,
Christine
Old 03-11-2012, 09:35   #5

Boat: 1974 American 23'
Re: Seeking One Experienced Sailor with Circumnavigation Their Sights

I put my e-mail address in, but it must not like that... So I'll try another way.
Send mail to, wein 39 (at) aol (dot) com.
C
Old 04-11-2012, 16:27   #6

Hi Tim.

Seems you made it through Sandy well so here goes...
My name is Mark Knight. I have ASA 101, 103, 104, 114 <--Cat! and was going for the hard-core navigation stuff (ASA 105, 106, 108) until I found out what the boat time required for a USCG six pack is. OUCH!
I have a current passport, have been sailing since I was 10 and have owned many smaller boats. (Force5 Lazer, Hobie, Prindle)
While a young 50 I've retired 3X so far. USAF Firefighter / EMT, A Police Officer and an IT Admin. I have no burning desire to find a real job again.
I recently returned from a delivery from hell trip. Gig Harbor to MDR. Although the owner claimed she spent over 10G having the boat checked and ready for the trip..if it could break it did so I became the "go to, fix it fast guy" and usually in the middle of the night. 12 days became 3 weeks and because of her, I own my own safety gear including an immersion suit rated for Alaska. LOL

I am interested and can do the full ride if desired. So take my first and last name and change the order the add A T T period n e t
Old 19-04-2013, 16:10   #7

Hi Tim,

I'm interested in a circumnavigation - especially on a catamaran. Timing seems to be the problem here. I'm in Fort Lauderdale now and you aren't.

Where are you now and are you still looking for crew?

Richard
Old 25-04-2013, 09:23   #8

Ur plan sounds perfect for me, but I am in sydney now and try to sail to UK. Is there any chance you pass by asutralia please? My email is 908089538@qq.com n my skype is luojiebj. thank you.

Tags
circumnavigation