Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 15:45   #1

Seattle to San Fran

Looking for two blue water experienced sailors to join us from seattle to San Fran. Looking to make the push all at once if weather agrees. Open to leaving shilshoe or port townsend around the 12th-16th. Will pay for all food, the celebratory meal and drinks in san fran and flight back.

Us: a couple in our early 30's with a jeanneau SO 37 that we have prepped for coastal cruising these last six months. Doing a shake dwn in san juans and then ready to go. We have been sailing for five years and both have up to our asa 104. , but no real blue water experience. A weekend of coastal aussie and mexico, but the rest is all the sound. Very easy going and fun folks. Safety first, fun follows.

Drop me a msg if interested!!
Old 06-08-2015, 17:55   #2

Boat: 19' Lightning
Re: seattle to San Fran

Do you have all the requisite safety equipment? Do you have ASI, sat link for weather information, GRIB files. What type of watch system will you employ, straight 4 on 6 off or rotating? How about meals, simple with rotating assignments? What's in the "ditch bag"? Just a few things for you to consider. Offshore is a different animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-08-2015, 18:12   #3

Thank you for your message. We have all the things you mention. We attended many seminars and ecen a shake den with a hired captain. We plan on rotating meal days, one person each day. Four hr watches.

We have all the coastline digital and non digitalcharts. We have a sat phone that sends weather updates as well and text msg info. We have ais, two gps systems, radar reflector, vhf, ditch kit, harnesses and jacklines, watermaker, auto pilot, etc.. we are ready to rock. Are you?
Old 06-08-2015, 21:32   #4

Boat: 19' Lightning

Sounds like you're well prepared, very good. The GRIB charts show strong northerlies until Sun, then the offshore winds turn south off WA and OR and lighten considerably through the 11th. I would take extra fuel. I'd like to help, but the boat's too small and I'm too old for that long a passage. Fair winds to you, have a safe trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-08-2015, 08:39   #5

Boat: Niagara 35

I made the trip in a Westsail 32 a few years ago. It was a great experience. I wish I could join you guys. PM me if I can answer any questions.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmj80 View Post
Thank you for your message. We have all the things you mention. We attended many seminars and ecen a shake den with a hired captain. We plan on rotating meal days, one person each day. Four hr watches.

We have all the coastline digital and non digitalcharts. We have a sat phone that sends weather updates as well and text msg info. We have ais, two gps systems, radar reflector, vhf, ditch kit, harnesses and jacklines, watermaker, auto pilot, etc.. we are ready to rock. Are you?
Why the knee jerk 4 hour watches. Have 5 transatlantic plus many offshore miles. 3 hr rotations are easy 4 hrs-the last hr you just think about getting off watch. you aren't in the Navy
Old 07-08-2015, 12:21   #7

Boat: campion 32 motorsail. 25 beachcomber ketch

hello from vancouver island; i may not have the blue water experience you may be looking for but i have logged thousands of miles of west coast cruising aboard my own boat. i hope you would consider letting me join your crew and am available for the dates you mentioned. you can contact me at roytfraser@yahoo.com . all the best; R
Old 07-08-2015, 14:56   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Would love to do it if I was in the USA as I did it a month after 9/11 from Port Angeles in a 65ft schooner. Blew out a headsail in a squall because we didnt roll it up early enough & owner let the sheet go when I was tryn to furl it. Did a lot of motoring tho as owner loved his engine & was happiest in the engine room but to be fair there was a time factor. It was an interesting experience coming into San Fran a month after 9/11 for a New Zealand passport holder I can tell you. Thought I was going to be imprisoned for a while. This post doesn't help you but forgive for dreaming in the depths of a rainy NZ winter.
Bon voyage
Old 09-09-2015, 13:31   #9

Heading the same way about the same time on our Morgan 33. Weather permitting Maybe watch each others back. Let me know. Thanks Richard
Old 10-09-2015, 10:04   #10

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Seattle to San Fran

I helped crew on a Tayana 37 in late August last year. Your boat is not too small for the trip although it will definitely be "cozy" for two crew plus you guys. We did not have favorable weather - lots of fog, southerlies, with some stormy weather. We also had a couple of excellent days. But we spent several days in Newport waiting for better weather, and then again in Bodega Bay. In 2004, my wife and I did it all in one trip with beautiful weather and good winds the whole way.

Night watches are not a big deal for me now, but what I learned was that it really can be for anyone who has not done it. Ditto for cruising with radar. Lots of fishing boats, and crab pots. There is a designated crab free zone going down but you may already know that.

But the most important issue we had was electricity with running the autopilot and radar long distance at night. And knowing how to use your radio(s) if you plan to be in an SSB net or download files. Verizon had great cell coverage out 10 miles but AT&T was terrible and often not available. The skipper had planned to navigate using his iPad but it kept running out of juice and his USB charger was a low amp one and could not keep up. And the GPS antenna for it kept acting up. I would definitely recommend you have a backup plan for your charts. And keep close tabs on your water and fuel. Good meals will help keep a happy crew.

Fair winds on your trip. Just don't let a schedule or preconceived ideas keep you from going in to port to wait out weather if need be. And pay attention for the traffic out there. It is pretty heavy and not everyone else is looking out for you like you might think.

Tags
seattle