Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 18:10   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41 (1978)
San Diego to Seattle/ Captain and Crew Wanted

Hello all,
This is my first post on CruisersForum and I'm happy to be here!

My fiance and I are planning an excursion from San Diego to Seattle in early July. We had originally planned to do this trip with our friend--a licensed USCG captain who has done this trip before--and his brother, and we have been preparing with that in mind. Problem is, our captain and his brother are faced with a family crisis now and had to pull out. Eeek!

We need to make this trip to move the boat but we won't do it without a captain.

CAPTAIN WANTED:
We would love to hire a captain to make this trip with us. Preferred qualifications: you are USCG licensed, patient with us landlubbers, have done trips like these before, and are available in July.

CREW WANTED:
If we find a captain, we would also love one more crew member. Please be somewhat experienced, easy-going, and hardworking. You will need to pay for your own airfare and food.

ABOUT THE BOAT:
Our boat is a beautiful 1978 Morgan Out Island 41. She just had a survey last month and was found in good, solid condition. We have spent the last few weeks refitting her.

ABOUT US:
We are a fun, adventurous couple in our late twenties, early thirties. My fiance has been sailing since he was young and I just took it up two years ago. We sail regularly around the Puget Sound/Vancouver Island area but have not sailed in the open ocean before. We are definitely looking for someone to show us the ropes (so to speak).

Please let me know if you are interested!

Happy sailing!
Denise
Old 10-06-2011, 14:23   #2

Re: San Diego to Seattle/ Captain and Crew Wanted

Hello again!
Thank you for your messages. The captain who canceled on us helped us find another captain this morning. He's affordable and experienced so we signed him on.

We are still looking for one more crew member (unpaid). If you're interested, shoot me a message.

Cheers,
Denise
Old 20-06-2011, 02:50   #3

Location: I live on the Lake Michigan shoreline. The name of the town is Silver Lake, MI

I am a 22 year old U.S. Army Veteran who recently traveled the world for 9 1/2 consecutive months. During that time (Aug. 2010) I sailed from Hurghada, Egypt to Kochi, India over the course of 42 days. Myself and wonderful girlfriend were the only working crew to speak of, as the owner/captain and wife were in their mid sixties and feeling it more and more each day. We logged approximately 3800 Nautical Miles via the ports of Sudan, Massawa Eritrea, Assab Eritrea, Aden Yemen, and final port of call being Kochi (Cochin) India. I have experienced a couple force 8+ monsoonal storms, Successfully navigated the coral fields of the Red Sea, Transited the tricky tidal extremes of the Bab-el-Mandeb, safe passage of the Gulf of Aden (Pirate Alley) and did it all with no auto pilot so I suppose I managed quite well for never sailing prior to that.

I'm very easy to get along with, I am in the beginning stages of turning a lifetime of poetry in to a singer/songwriter hobby so I may be able to entertain us a bit during down time. Enough about me...

I'm writing all of this in hopes to get a response to a few questions. I'll keep them short and sweet as possible.
-An estimated cost for provisions (my out of pocket expense)
-Desired departure date and estimated arrival date.
-As much info. on the vessel as you care to share so I know what I have to work with.
-Maybe a bit more about you two.
That's about all I ask. I'm pretty easy to please I think. I pack light, live light, and I'm really just trying to sail up to see the love of my life who is now living in Seattle after we were separated by Dengue fever in South Thailand 7 months ago. I've always wanted to sail that portion of the Pacific.
HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU GUYS SOON!
Old 21-06-2011, 10:58   #4

Hey Nryder64,
Good to hear from you. I sent you a private message yesterday outlining the specifics but I forgot to answer your question about dates: we will be casting off on July 4th or 5th and scheduled to arrive in Seattle anywhere between the 23rd and the 31st, depending on conditions. Look over the message I sent you yesterday and if you are still interested, please let us know right away! We are hoping to make our decision about crew tomorrow evening or Thursday morning.
Cheers! Denise
Old 21-06-2011, 11:34   #5

Location: I live on the Lake Michigan shoreline. The name of the town is Silver Lake, MI

I never received your Private Message yesterday. I have only received one message on this website and it wasn't very nice, haha. I have checked over and over trying to see if I'm missing a message somehow but I don't see how that's possible. If you send me an email at my screen name at yahoo dot com I will surely get it. I am very interested in the details of this trip. I like the dates and I want to end in Seattle so HURRY!

Thanks
Nathan
(nryder64)
Old 23-06-2011, 21:52   #6

Hey all,
We found our crew and captain. Happy sailing!

Cheers,
Pleione

Tags
captain, crew, san diego, seattle, wanted