Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 15:37   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
San Diego to Puget Sound

If I can get a couple crew members lined up fairly soon. I'll be motor-sailing the Ugly Duckling⛵️ back up to the Puget Sound, most likely Bellingham.

The motor has less then 400 hours. Anything else about the boat is on my blog, at the bottom of this post.

I don't have a departure date yet but I need to be in the Sound by the last week/end of August. It's a 1100 mile trip. I estimate 200-300 motoring hours. The boat cruises at 6.5 kt in a flat sea. I'll be stopping in LA, SF and Cresent City for fuel.

I need crew that can wheel and/or tiller steer, by compass/GPS. Do have a tiller pilot for calm seas. I will sail if I can get the wind in the right direction but it's unlikely, north bound. It'll sail at 8-9 kt.

PM me or post here. I'll get back with you ASAP.
Old 03-08-2016, 16:19   #2

Re: San Diego to Puget Sound

Hello, interested in helping you out. I don't have a lot of experience with driving with GPS or Compass but have some experience with tiler and wheel. I live in San Diego on a 40 ketch.
Old 03-08-2016, 16:32   #3

Hi Audi,

I'm sending you a Private Message.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Hi Audi,

I'm sending you a Private Message.
No reply!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:04   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Will be delighted to see the Duck back in the PNW. If I am lucky Idora will be out of the yard by then. It's been a crappy year for Juan de Fuca. Many days with 20 knot chop out there. Hopefully September will be more usable. Cheers!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:50   #6

Boat: lancer 36

i'm an experienced racer/cruiser, retired and could make it work depending on shove off date. transportation expenses? i split my time between home in norcal and boat in oxnard. travel expenses??

john
Old 04-08-2016, 09:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
i'm an experienced racer/cruiser, retired and could make it work depending on shove off date. transportation expenses? i split my time between home in norcal and boat in oxnard. travel expenses??

john
I'll be paying for all the food/fuel for the trip, a shopping day before getting underway. I'll be stopping for fuel along the way so anything can be added or refreshed.
I plan to drive down to SD when I accuire a crew and leave a day or two after. In your case, I can pick you up on the way down from Seattle. And can pay for your trip home. Also, I'll need to return to SD to pick up my vehicle.

I hope to leave fairly soon! I'll PM you with my phone#.....
Old 04-08-2016, 14:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Will be delighted to see the Duck back in the PNW. If I am lucky Idora will be out of the yard by then. It's been a crappy year for Juan de Fuca. Many days with 20 knot chop out there. Hopefully September will be more usable. Cheers!
Yeah but, it still beats some other west coast places. I shuda never left. Regrets!
It's them raining of ice cubes and moss growing on the halyards that gets to me. But that southern sun sure can cook a boat in no time. My paint went to cheet just after 1 year in SF. And finding a place for maintenance down there i$ a pain. CC&R's
Old 04-08-2016, 14:38   #9

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Well, as a retired master machinist.....you can just hop a flight to the PI and stay for a few months and recharge to deal with the moss when you get back.:-)
Old 04-08-2016, 14:40   #10

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I'll be paying for all the food/fuel for the trip, a shopping day before getting underway. I'll be stopping for fuel along the way so anything can be added or refreshed.
I plan to drive down to SD when I accuire a crew and leave a day or two after. In your case, I can pick you up on the way down from Seattle. And can pay for your trip home. Also, I'll need to return to SD to pick up my vehicle.

I hope to leave fairly soon! I'll PM you with my phone#.....
sorry. can't leave for a couple weeks. good luck.
Old 04-08-2016, 14:41   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 27

FWIW, I suggest having Pilot Charts aboard.
Old 04-08-2016, 15:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
FWIW, I suggest having Pilot Charts aboard.
Jrbogie, OK

I do, for the whole year. 👍
Old 04-08-2016, 15:14   #13

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Del, if you don't have a ton of gear to schlepp, you might consider taking the Coast Starlight down, save you a trip back to get your vehicle, not to mention 2700 some miles driving!

I wish I could volunteer for the trip, but I've got another four years until retirement, and I'm already going on the TaTa rally next month.
Old 04-08-2016, 16:31   #14

See you already have quite a few offers. Just in case you still have room for one more a PM will be sent.
Old 04-08-2016, 17:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Del, if you don't have a ton of gear to schlepp, you might consider taking the Coast Starlight down, save you a trip back to get your vehicle, not to mention 2700 some miles driving!

I wish I could volunteer for the trip, but I've got another four years until retirement, and I'm already going on the TaTa rally next month.
I may do that on my return trip to SD. 👍 I have a cargo trailer full of boat tools/supplies that I'll be hauling back up with the truck.

Tags
puget sound, san diego