Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:29   #1

Boat: John Traylor - Cutter Rigged Sloop - 65'
San Diego to Hawaii

Non-profit in search of 4th crew member with open ocean sailing experience. Depart San Diego around last week of September.

Matt

Old 02-08-2011, 06:04   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Re: San Diego to Hawaii....

We really could use some more information….

Who pays for what?
Tell us about the boat?
What about the other crew?
What does your Non-profit do?
Etc.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:02   #3

Of course...
Vessel is a 1994 65ft custom cutter rigged sloop. Spent last two years to ready boat for remote south pacific sailing.

Older and newer pics can be viewed @ MobileMe Gallery

Existing crew:
Myself, Matt: 10 years coastal cruising experience.
My father, Rod: 2 years sailing experience on current vessel.
Craig: Serious beginner sailor....will be with our crew long term.

Costs: Hoping to find someone that just loves to sail that has experience and can help our non-profit. We can provide your meals.

Our non-profit, Sailing to Recovery, is assisting with medical and dental work in the Republic of Kiribati. We will be assisting another non-profit, Search for One in a logistical capacity....mostly transportation of equipment and personnel.

Any more questions?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:52   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

Thanks !!!

Sounds like a great project.

Charlie
Old 09-08-2011, 09:12   #5

Re: San Diego to Hawaii

Hey Matt,

Sounds great, I'm definitely interested. I have a bunch of offshore experience (3000nm logged) although I havent crossed an ocean yet. I just finished training for the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race (68ft) so I am freshly RYA Dayskipper Certified with all the trimmings (sea survival, VHF/Short range radio, lifejacket servicing certified; email me for a complete list). I am free from September til March so let me know!
Old 09-08-2011, 18:31   #6

How long is the commitment? Looking to do nonprofit work. Got accept to MSF recently. Cheers
Old 09-08-2011, 20:36   #7

Boat: '83 Beneteau First 38

I know the thread is from FEB, but I'd like to get in contact with you.
Sorry, I cannot send a direct personal message, since I am a new member to this site.

I am a 34 year old Pediatric Dentist who normally lives in San Diego and rec sails out of Mission Bay. I participates in volunteer healthcare missions myself. My original home is Honolulu, where I was born and raised. I have recently stopped private practice in SD, and am currently in Annapolis, refurbing and preparing my 40 foot sloop to sail the Caribbean and Pacific for a few years. My long-term career goals involve leaving private practice and discovering or founding a health-care NPO that centers around boat-based medical/dental clinics in the S.Pacific and SE Asia. My cruising background is intermediate. My family has a strong background in sailboat racing, although my own racing experience is limited. My bluewater experience is limited, although I have been preparing myself for my own upcoming sailing plans.

I am extremely interested in learning more about your organization, and about your upcoming sail.
I am available during your dates, and would be very excited to be on board with likeminded individuals.

Please contact me by PM, Thanks.
Old 13-08-2011, 21:43   #8

Well it looks like our departure is going to be pushed back more due to a newly diagnosed and unexpected hernia. I doubt I'll be up and running in 6 weeks based on the fact that I'll have to wait for when the VA can fix me:-(. Bumer for sure!
Old 14-08-2011, 13:10   #9

Boat: Coronado 41 CCS

oh wow, sounds like a real fun trip. When I was in the navy we did the San Diego to Hawaii run many times,... I can just imagine what it would be like sailing it.
Old 15-08-2011, 08:18   #10

Sorry to hear that you are waiting on the VA. On the plus side while you wait you may be able to meet crew candidates and take a few short trips.
I would be interested in joining on if you would feel confident with it. I have not had sustained days over open water, I have done a few multi day trips off, running the coast of NS by 10-80 nm, and faired well with weather.
I'm about 90 minutes from San Diego and looking to get back on the water. I have a radio operator's card as well.
Old 15-08-2011, 09:19   #11

Have you considered assisting with medical and dental work right here in the USA?

There is a great need and you wouldn't need a sailboat or is that the point?

Anyway, good luck helping others and enjoy your cruise.
Old 15-08-2011, 14:03   #12

Hello!

I am a practicing Physician (Internal Medicine/cardiology) living in Japan. I worked 7 years in the WHO. Its great your taking your years of Dental Experience to use in the field for a NPO. I have done this before in Africa and the amazon. Its a rewarding experience!

I look forward to following your practice. Would you happen to have a blog?

Cheers!

Glenn
Old 19-08-2011, 09:50   #13

Hi,
My name is David Leggitt. I am looking for an adventurous boat to crew on this winter for a few months. I have a bit of experience on a 26’ sloop in the waters around Juneau, Alaska and in the Pacific coast of Panama. I have also been taking friends out on a 16’ Hobie Cat on the lakes of northern Arizona where I live and work as a seasonal wildland firefighter in the summers. I only work for half of the year so I have the rest off to make my own adventures. I have spent most of my life working and playing in the outdoors. I have experience leading river and mule packing trips into remote locations for multiple days. I can cook, I can clean, I have basic knowledge of small motors and pumps, I am Wilderness First Responder certified (an 80 hour course dealing specifically with medical emergencies in remote locations), I am confidant sailing small craft in light winds but I love the thrill of high winds and high seas and am eager to learn more. I am available after mid-October and I would like to be home for the holidays but if things are good I can skip that. I can meet you wherever you are and can contribute to costs aboard the boat. I have a valid passport and can speak passable Spanish. Give me a call at 818 939 2635 (because of my work schedule I might not respond for a week or two, but I will respond). Thanks for your time.
Cheers,
David

Tags
hawaii, san diego