Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 05:44   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50 MKll
San Blas Islands Panama

Here to enjoy over 450 tropical islands made out of white sand, coconut trees, surrounded by 86 degrees water. Scuba diving, snorkelling of miles of barrier reefs, fires on the beach with the boat feet away. Learning to Kite Surf. No big Blue Water Passages at this time but will be gearing up for our route around the Earth soon, after we hold down a few islands. Time to enjoy what the sailing thing is all about.

You can contact me direct at timeforsunandsea@gmail dot com.

Looking for the right compatible people with little to no experience needed as I repeat you can not sail at night here, too many islands and coral patches. It is simply a sailors paradise if you like islands that no one lives on and many anchorages.

Enjoy.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:27   #2

Re: San Blas Islands Panama

I just sent you an email.

Victoria
Old 03-03-2016, 18:46   #3

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Wow, sounds like the Caribbean, but many times over. I've been to Panama, but on the Pacific side, so we never got over to the San Blas Is., but I've been fascinated ever since to get a chance to visit them. I even have amazing story about an Panamanian immigration ordeal (I almost had to stay). I'll PM with my particulars. I'm laid back (aren't all sailors) and congenial, good sense of humor and look forward to refreshing my diving skills and will enjoy being anchored at night (for a change). My Pacific passage was a 30 day 24x7, although I throughly enjoyed being on watch for the sunrises.
Cheers.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:17   #4

San Blas Islands, called Guna Yala by the Indians who own the islands, are one of the last chain of islands that have not been developed in the Caribbean and the Guna's do not want them developed. Some islands would be worth tens of millions if you could buy them. Simple pure white sandy patches with a clump of coconut trees growing in the middle. All protected by miles of barrier reef and the fact there is no hurricanes here. The Guna's used to trade in coconut and it was their legal trade up to 20 years ago. The strong and constant NE trade winds make it an ideal place for Kite Boarding. Diesel fuel and supplies can be a concern but Colon is 60 miles away, where I am at now restocking, and everything is here. Some good marinas too but some can be pricey as massive super yachts in the area too - however few in San Blas as there is allot of coral. Do not sail at night in this area - charts are no good. Just watch the water colours like you do in the Bahamas. You need the local Cruising Guide by Eric Bauhaus, 5th Edition. After we finish loading heading back to Guna Yala and will be in the area for awhile as it has been a pleasant find.
Old 05-03-2016, 13:07   #5

time4sea, Wow, you had me at "pure white sandy patches ...". Does this not sound like a preserved patch of 'heaven'? And how commendable that the indigenous peoples there appreciate the importance of continuing to preserve that. How wonderful it sounds, so now I am even more committed to spending time there, hopefully as a volunteer crew with on your vessel. PM is probably the best way to proceed, rather than ramble on here.
Old 05-03-2016, 14:02   #6

Boat: Westsail 32

They're actually the Kuna Yala , awesome people (the Kuna) , amazing place to sail
Old 06-03-2016, 06:53   #7

The 2015 cruising guide is called Panama Cruising Guide by Eric Bauhaus. In it is a good section on the San Blas Islands, over 150 pages including info on the Guna Indians - not Kuna. It has some of the Guna history and photos. Guna is pronounced Kuna. Even the Guna who run the Guna head office in Porvenir like to clarify this. I would not go to the San Blas without it. Maps and charts are not correct. Around 20 ships a year hit reefs and some are a total loss. Heading back there today. One island group is of 3 small islands - you anchor feet from shore of one, in a deep pool of clean warm water. You have 3 white sandy tropical islands around you. No one lives on any of them. Islands covered in coconut trees. One island is like a jogging track. Caught a good sized Red Snapper just fishing off the boat.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:54   #8

Hi again, I'll definitely be getting the 'Panama Cruising Guide' you mention. The pristine islands you describe harken back to my first sailing in the BVI, as a teenager (five decades ago) before 'civilization' discovered the BVI and expanded further into it's remaining uninhabited spaces. Nothing against civilization per se (I enjoy being able to buy groceries as much as anyone), just it's so refreshing to find quiet, hidden places that have been overlooked by it.
Old 13-03-2016, 05:13   #9

We are leaving Colon March 20th approximately. Sailing to San Blas, Honduras, Cuba and Key West. The sailing up east coast of USA. Looking for crew who are compatible and not necessarily experienced. Please reply to timeforsunandsea@gmail dot com.

Tags
Panama