Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2011, 20:50   #1

Sailing Instructor / Captain Needed

Hello,
I'm finalizing purchasing a 39' Cutter Sailboat located in San Carlos, MX. I would like to obtain someones services to show me sailing, anchoring, basically the rules of road when it comes to sailing a sailboat. I of course will cover food and drink. My wife I are planning this trip from San Carlos later this year around fall for two weeks but could be flexible to your schedule. You don't have to be a certified Captain but someone who has the skills and patience to teach someone. Thanks!

Mike
Old 28-06-2011, 23:13   #2

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: Sailing Instructor/Captain Needed

Nukids, what part of the world is your home? There are many ways to learn enough about sailing to become more safe and confident, and some of them can be started on before you take possession of your boat. For example, in New Mexico we teach a one-day boating safety basics class at the State Parks that's free. It's not sailing specific, but it does cover laws, equipment requirements, skipper responsibilities, navigation basics, and how to avoid and respond to common emergencies. Did I mention that it's free?

And, just hanging around with sailors, volunteering to crew or help with events, hanging out at regattas, reading books, watching videos, and bugging people are all great, especially if you intersperse the theory with practice -- even a tiny dinghy can cheaply teach you tons about sailing -- and mistakes on a dinghy are usually cheap to fix.

Could you describe what drew you to sailing and to buying your boat and what sort of sailing dreams you have or experiences for which you are looking? This will be a big help to any instructor or mentor; to customize your learning he or she will want to know where you are and where you want to be.

Pat Byrnes
Desert Sea - New Mexico and Southwestern Sailing, rgscpat@gmail.com
Old 29-06-2011, 11:26   #3

Pat Byrnes,
Thank you for the kind response. I will be attending sailing school prior to sailing on my own sailboat but wanted a more salty sailor there for the first couple of days to help with my own boat. I know I could just wing it and learn from my mistakes which I know I'll have many chances later to do but just getting the boat set up and learning on my own sailboat would be great.
As for why I'm doing this I've been part of a sea going service for over twenty years and have been on many smaller power boats and a few sailboats and think it's my time to set out on my own and enjoy cruising according to my own schedule. It's a community I've been around and admired for many years and now wish to join in my retirement. Now, I know its hard work and cursing isn't risk or drama free but that's what I want to be busy and challenged along the way.
So that's why I would like to hire someone for a week or two to help me with my own sailboat since every boat is different and unique in her own way I wish to be prepared the best I can.
Mike
Old 29-06-2011, 11:34   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there is a guy in mazatlan who has a boat here and is a captain and does this stuff--he3 wants to take his boat to san carlos for hurrycame season, ast i heard-- what is your time frame???? there are many folks in sea of cortez at present with excellent skills in sailing-- many in san carlos....there is a sloop named arctic tern ---if you see them, he is smart in sailing. very smart--also good at anchoring--i bet that he could help if offered beer and mebbe some fuel....many options down her for you-- smoooth sailing.
there is also a cpt in sd who has a schooner-- patricia belle--i bet for the right offer he would help ye also--is a smart man. pb is findable on facebook under schooner patricia belle. not sure how to find the arctic tern--i think they are anchored out near san carlos. i know another captain in san carlos--his boat is on hard there--might be able to find him ---he is on my skype contact listing....i would need to include how to contact you --he isnt on forums.
Old 29-06-2011, 11:49   #5

Re: Sailing Instructor / Captain Needed

Thank you Zeehag I really appreciate the information! My time schedule is around November this year but I would be flexible around someone else’s schedule. Thanks for any contacts in San Carlos.

Mike
Old 29-06-2011, 16:18   #6

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Mike,
That should help folks a lot; especially the info that you have a fair amount of general boating experience. Which school will you be using? Besides NM, I visit AZ a lot and occasionally SoCal, TX, and Colorado. We took classes some years ago in Santa Barbara and have talked with friends who've done classes in a couple of other schools. My son is in Arizona and is certified as a dinghy sailing instructor. Several of our friends have sailed in San Carlos but I've never been there.
Old 29-06-2011, 16:59   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

keep in touch and i will find some folks ye can choose from this summer....mebbe my friend in ensenada can come personally teach--he is goooood.....will present to him--he doesnt do puters...is a waterman...
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran

Hello Nukids2, I sent you a private message...

Tags
sailing, captain