Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 00:39   #1

Boat: Ericson 41
Sailing in Greece

Hi,
I have papers allowing me to sail ships up till 24 meters in length and with 12 paying passengers. I would like to sail a week in Greece, and wonder if you know how I can get in contact with people that need crew or some help with sailing.
I offer my help for free, as long as I get to sail with them.
I was thinking of a week in end of August.
I can fly from Trondheim Norway to Rhodes for less than 100 on Wednesday August 20. and 27.
I am looking for one week, but can take two weeks if that is the only option to get to sail. I have a 41 foot sailboat in Trondheim that I use almost every week, but the temperature in the Norwegian sea will kill you if you fall in, so I would love to sail some more in Greece water.
Regards
Svein Utne

Old 01-08-2014, 02:56   #2

Re: Sailing in Greece

I have just booked the trip to Rhodes on August 20. From what I can see, there are not so many sailboat laying in Rhodes, but I see a lot more in Kos, so maybe it is better to take the ferry to Kos and try to find a sailboat in Kos to be crew on?

Old 06-08-2014, 09:44   #3

Dear Melissa,
I did som search on the web for low price flights from Rhodes or Kos to Lefkas, but there was no cheap flights so I thing I have to decline your offer. I hope I will find something in Kos or Rhodes.
Regards
Svein Utne
Old 06-08-2014, 10:10   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Svein,

When we were there a few years ago, there was no need to fly anywhere, as ferries around the Greek Islands are cheap and abundant!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:58   #5

I did some search also for ferry, and ferry from Kos to Piraeus takes 12 hour and cost 51. Then I am half way to Lefkas, and I have to return to Rhodes the 27th of August, so it will be a lot of stress and very little sailing.
So now I am free from August 22 in Kos for 5 days.
Regards
Svein
Old 06-08-2014, 22:45   #6

we are sailing greece in late september....so if you can change your dates....the boat is a lagoon 450
Old 07-08-2014, 04:11   #7

The trip from August 20 till 28 is already booked, but it was extremely cheap. But a lagoon 450 is a very nice cat, and I have dreamed about renting one just to try it, so I might take a second trip if I can get some low price tickets. What is your plan for iteration? When do you plan start?
My email address is: svein_utne@hotmail.com
Regards
Svein
Old 10-08-2014, 00:57   #8

I think I need to improve my application as crew. It is getting close to departure, and I do not have any arrangement. I will fly to Rhodes on Wednesday 20th of August, and have booked hotel for the first night and ferry to Kos with hotel there. My plan is to find a sailboat in Kos marina that might start iteration on Saturday. I think most rentals run from Saturday till Saturday. I will bring “Greek water pilot” by Rod Heikell. That is a wonderful book full of good information of many places to anchor and rest. I will also bring ipad with good sea map and gps, underwater camera and good spirit.
If there is no free cabins in the boat, I can sleep in the cockpit or on deck. It might be the best place to sleep in the boat when it is very hot.
Also I can delay my return by a week if there are wishes to keep me onboard for a longer time.
Hope someone out there might want an extra hand. When the wind is blowing at 50 km/h it might be good with an extra hand.
Regards
Svein
Old 10-08-2014, 08:01   #9

Do any of you have any idea about what I can do to increase my chances for getting a position as crew before I go to Kos?
It would be nice to have this in order before I go, but I guess my best chances to get a position will be when I walk along the pier talking to the sailors before they go out on Saturday.
Old 16-08-2014, 15:50   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Wild Cherry

Hi - I have a 50ft Beneteau Oceanis and will be somewhere around Palermo, Sicily around the 1st week in September. Looking to sail her to either Naples and Rome (up the Italian coast) or across to Croatia or maybe even Greece. Sailed last year from Northern Italy to Elba, Corsica, Sardinia, Tunisia and now in Sicily. My sailing partner is no longer that, and I am still undecided where to sail to. Will need 1 or max 2 crew. I throw this out there and maybe something positive comes back. Chris.
Old 16-08-2014, 20:46   #11

Thank you Chris. A 50ft Beneteau Oceanis is nice and with a lot of space. I would love to sail it with you, but I can not start the first week in September.
I will be in Greece from 20th till 28th of August. Then I will have to be in Norway for at least 3 weeks, but then I can fly to almost any destination in Europe for a week or two.
Regards
Svein
Old 17-08-2014, 02:57   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Wild Cherry

Thanks for your reply Sven - I am sure I would hang around Palermo for a while as there is lots to see and the Marina is right in the old city. I have guests until the end of the month and will take it from there. (like the proverbial reed in the wind).
We stay in touch.
Kind regards
Chris

Tags
Greece, sail, sailing