Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33   #1

Boat: 37' Endeavour
S/V Felicity sets sail from the Puget Sound to Sea of Cortez mid January 2013

I'll be leaving mid January 2013 and looking for crew to join in with legs of the trip or for the whole trip. Plans are to stay near the coast and keep a good eye on the weather without time limitations for holding up and letting storms blow over. Crew will need to take care of own airfare, provision expences and have proper gear for colder weather and lighter gear for once we get to warm weather. 38' S/V Felicity has two open berths for the trip.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:59   #2

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"
Re: S/V Felicity sets sail from the Puget Sound to Sea of Cortez mid January 2013

Sailing the WA, OR, N.CA, coast in the middle of winter endangers the lives of our dedicated Coast Guard men and women.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:01   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: S/V Felicity sets sail from the Puget Sound to Sea of Cortez mid January 2013

Agree with hglad.

The same time of year, a delivery of a 44 foot brand new catamaran coming North from San Francisco ended in the loss of all hands. It washed up on the Oregon coast, capsized without rig or crew.
They were delivering it for the Seattle Boat Show in January.

There's a thread somewhere about it on CF.

You should have gone in Sept at the latest, so if you REALLY want to get there now, truck it.

Ayn Rand
Old 11-11-2012, 10:32   #4

Thanks for the concern, I'll definitely do my research before leaving also know someone that has done the trip over thirty times so I'll pivot off his advise. Haha, think that I'll get a trucking price just incase.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:54   #5

@Tommacdon-

Very interested. Please contact.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:11   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

You can download pilot charts, here:
Maritime Safety Information

Highly recommended. Even a cursory look at Aug/Sep vs Jan/Feb is quite telling.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 12-11-2012, 11:14   #7

Tom, my email address is tommacdon@msn.com . My trip scheduling is a little open pending on weather. Why don't you send me a email telling me about your availability, your current location and figure thing out from there. Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 17:41   #8

Boat: Bingham custom cutter rigged 35 loa 28 lod
Send a message via Skype™ to Dean Samuels

I am ASA 104 qnd willing to crew. PM me if you still need someone.
Old 12-11-2012, 22:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommacdon View Post
I'll be leaving mid January 2013 wrong time! and looking for crew to join in with legs of the trip or for the whole trip. Plans are to stay near the coast worst place to be, do some research! and keep a good eye on the weather without time limitations for holding up Good luck with that. USCG often close ports with bars in winter and letting storms blow over. Crew will need to take care of own airfare, provision expences and have proper gear for colder weather and lighter gear for once we get to warm weather. 38' S/V Felicity has two open berths for the trip.
I want to do a similar trip, but will wait until at least March possibly June. And go wide when I do it.
Old 12-11-2012, 22:17   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

It is a very tough time of year to make that trip. (I have done it many times commercially and a few times on well paid professional yacht deliveries)

Washington/Oregon coasts ports of refuge close down often because of sea state at bar entrance and by the time you get down towards Columbia River, odds are a system will be nearby.

Nasty, so if you can reschedule for favorable season… why make it such a high risk?
Old 13-11-2012, 07:26   #11

I have will,
kindness and some capability , but in particular i'm a good person.

I started in the Nautical sector, 10 years ago, and year by year i've increased my experience/qualification about Nautics.
At the beginning i made some sailing course and some cruising as au pair in West Cyclades , Ionian Island, Dalmatia, Albania, Montenegro, Sardinia Tour, Corsica Tour, and all Italian Coast .
After , when i started to become more skilled ,i found paid position during the summer.
Now I 'm a seasonal worker, and i've a little bit experience in sailing boat (Jeanneau
54 DS for 4 seasons (July-Agoust) as Deckhand/Steward/Co-Skipper : for Ref. owner Ing. Carmelo Cosentino (Vice -President of Alenia Aermacchi Aeronautics and President of Superjet International SpA)
I have teached sailing to child at : Garda's Lake (may 2009) for ref. (News | SpheraSail) ;

Alghero at Yacht Club Alghero (june 2009 Chief Marco Badessi) ) and Civitavecchia (june 2010) for ref . www.lnicivitavecchia.it (Chief. Marco Senio Corti)
I have got the Italian navigation Licence by 2008 without limits (Italian's name : patente nautica vela/motore senza limiti ).

I did a Skipper in Flotilla in April 2008 in Greece (Ionian island), Corsica in May 2008, and skippering from Nice to Olbia via Genova Gulf with a Super Mistral ( 24 ft) in May 2009.
I did regattas by 2004 to 2009 above Este 24 as bower and tailer .
I have also teached to disalbled person in May 2007 at Home - Vela insieme
I 'm also an owner of 470 and Laser Std.
Last Year experience :
2011 : March : 1st level Sailing Instructors Licence of Italian Sailing Federations
2011 (June -July) : Skipper of Bavaria 42 between Ionian Island with Circolo Velico Lucano - www.circolovelicolucano.it (Chief . Sigismondo Mangialardi)
2011 (Agoust-September): Seaman/Co-skipper above Jeanneau 54 DS.
2011 : (October) : Skipper Bavaria 40' (Owner Rob Gruntijes ) from Alghero to Marsiglia
- Co-skipper above OVNI 37 from Fiumincino (Rome) to Porto Torres (Sardinia) Ref. Navigare nel Mediterraneo per chi ama divertirsi con la barca a vela, il mare, il sole e la natura.
29/30 October 2011 : Skipper at Capri week-end during Confindustria Young Enterpreneurs meeting : Bavaria 40
2012 : (January) RYA Coastal Tidal and RYA/MCA Shorebased Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaster Offshore at Blue Oyster Sailing School in Gibraltar (UK)
2012 : March : Canary Island Tour : Skipper - OVNI 37
2012 : March : Italian VHF Licence
2012 : April : IMO-STCW 95 Naples (Italy)
2012 : May-September : Sailing Instructor & Skipper at Orza Minore Sailing School ( Orza Minore scuola di vela. Patente nautica, corsi, vacanze in vela e noleggio. Sardegna, Liguria, Lago di Como. )
- Porto Pollo (Sardinia- Italy)(Ref. Dario Boiocchi)
2012 : October : Delivery as crew : Ocean Science Schooner '60 for Ref. Ocean Science Yacht Charters from P.to Torres to Palma de Maiorca (Owner Glenn Cooper)
2012 : November : RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Sail & Power c/o VMB Yachts -Italy

i'm available by now.
No Tatoo/Piercing, No Smoke, No Alcool

Contacts :
Diego Di Brigida
Mobile : +393384836470
e-mail : diegodibrigida@tiscali.it
p.s.
At the moment i have passed the exams and i'm waiting the documents by RYA( first days of december for the Commercial Endorsement)
Old 13-11-2012, 07:46   #12

Agreed, I've put the trip off for a few more months.. I have no idea of how to delete my first thread and now it seems like I'm just set up for long term messages saying how dumb I am but also have had a few kind messages of good advise. I'm now thinking of leaving early May.

Tags
sail