Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2006, 23:51   #1

Boat: Carl Bostek
S/V Aphrodite Cruising Hawaii

I brought Aphrodite over to Oahu in June, arriving at the Hawaii Yacht Club on 3 July. Yesterday I moved her over to Rainbow Bay Marina at Pearl Harbor where she'll be undergoing repairs in preparation for an April departure to the Marquesas and French Ploynesia before returning to Oahu in July.

I'm looking forward to cruising around Hawaii beginning in late Sept and into late October; and maybe some more in January. I have to work the rest of the time.

I'd like to meet some folks who are interested in doing some cruising.

Info on me and Aphrodite can be found at www.svaphrodite.bostekanesthesia.com

Cheers,

Carl
Old 24-07-2006, 02:42   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Who is the redhead on the picture...?
Old 24-07-2006, 15:40   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Is that a standard sail setup?
Old 24-07-2006, 18:13   #4

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
CSY Man's comment or the boats rig?

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
Old 24-07-2006, 21:54   #5

Well, like it says in the caption, I don't know who she is. The pic was taken before I bought the boat and she didn't come with it!

As for standard rig, all boats should come with a comely wench. The problem seems to be finding one who wants to go cruising.

The sail rig is an aerofoil design called a Gallant rig. Very similar to Chinese lug rig except for being an airfoil. These were designed by a British aerospace engineer in the 70s and were manufactured at least through the 80s. I have been unable to find any info on how many of them were actually built and put into service.

Carl
Old 25-07-2006, 12:17   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Carl,
Did you post your thread twice? I responded to the other one earlier. Are you reading it too?
Kind Regards, --JohnL--
Old 25-07-2006, 14:58   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Tell the truth now...

You can tell us.
What is that rig really like?
Old 25-07-2006, 20:26   #8

Hmmm, I think I only posted the thread once. If I messed up and posted it twice, I'm sorry...

What's the rig like? Basically pretty easy to handle with the existing rigging. Each sail has a haliard and a sheet. There are currently no parrels to control twist. Basically, I trim it like a junk or lug rig. Before leaving for French Polynesia I plan to add parrels to help control twist and to re-rig the lazy jacks.

The boat is heavy (37,000 lbs in the slings) and needs 20 kts to really get going well. She's not real weatherly -- will point to about 45 deg, but prefers the wind on the beam or slightly behind.

Coming out of Coos Bay in 30 to 35 kts I made 180 nm in 24 hrs with 2 reefs in the main and 3 in the foresail while running with the wind off the quarter. With 24 kts of wind on a run, the main furled and the foresail fully raised I averaged 6.7 kts. I haven't yet had a chance to try her out well going to windward. That will have to wait until I get some repairs done on my booms.

Cheers,

Carl
Old 30-12-2006, 10:08   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
"The problem seems to be finding one who wants to go cruising".
....I take it you have not tried inviting a Female out for an afternoon sail and just never returned!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 30-12-2006, 10:37   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
You'd be advised to get your cruising the islands done in the summer. There almost no year around anchorages here so you'll be forced to go into harbors if the waves are up.

If the weatherly performance of junk type rigs is true, you'll be hard pressed to lay the Marquesas from Hawaii. Might want to plan on Bora Bora as your first land fall. Also, leaving from the Big Island will give you more Easting. Fortunately, the trades blow strong above the doldrums so you should make good time while they last. The doldrums can be non existant to all the way to Tahiti so that's a crap shoot. A bit of extra fuel wouldn't be a bad idea if the light winds are prevailing.

We are in Kona, email me when you may be in the area. Would like to look at the rig and talk boats when you are here.

Aloha
Peter O.
Old 30-12-2006, 13:45   #11

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Carl, when you have a moment perhaps you could answer a few questions for us. After reading your logs I was left wondering...
1. Did you finally get comfortable with the Autohelm windvane...or does it remain somewhat problematic to use at sea?
2. You've probably seen the threads on this BB about the limited dockage available for transients who arrive in HI. However, you managed to find an immediate space and then a longer-term berth, which leads one to believe things aren't as tight as we hear. Can you offer a bit more commentary on that?

Many thanks and good luck on the 'round-Hawaii cruising. Wish I could ask for a bunk aboard.

Jack
Old 30-12-2006, 14:39   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jack,
Carl hasn't posted since July but I do know that he went in to Pearl Harbor which is restricted to retired, reserve or active military.
Carl may respond too but just thought I'd clarify that.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 30-12-2006, 16:32   #13

Hmmmmm, I have mentioned the abduction scenario to a couple of gals I took out on day sails; but, did you see what happened to Borat when he put the sack on Pamela? It might take awhile, but I wouldn't want Interpol looking for me! Ah well, someone will turn up eventually.

Let's see -- the Autohelm. Yes, I got pretty comfortable with it beating and reaching. But like most wind vanes, it doesn't work well running. There's just not enough apparent wind. And if there was, the seas would probably be too high to trust it. My boat gets a bit squirrely surfing and has a tendency to want to broach. Can't have that! So when running I rely on the autopilot. That'll handle waves up to about 20 feet. Don't have any experience with any larger than that. Since I sail short handed, I plan to just throw out the droque if the autopilot won't do the trick.

Moorage in Hawaii: like trying to find a virgin at Mustang Ranch! I don't have permanent moorage. I've been bouncing between Rainbow Bay, the Hawaii and Waikiki Yacht Clubs and Keehi Marine Center. I'll be back at Rainbow Bay on Jan 29th and hope to stay there until the first week of April when I start doing shakedown cruises around the Island before leaving for the Marquesas.

I think I'll be alright making the Marquesas if I jump off from the Big Island. Aphrodite seems to point to about 45 degrees without making too much leeway or pinching too badly. But she does slow down quite a bit unless the winds are pushing 30 kts. I was out a couple of weeks ago in winds in the high 20's/low 30's and was making up to 6 kts beating to weather. But despite the winds, the seas were extremely mild with swells mostly about four feet.

As for doldrums, well I carry 200 gal of diesel but I don't want to use any more than I have to. I likely won't power unless the wind dies completely. I don't have much of a schedule to keep. Just have to see how it goes.
Old 30-12-2006, 22:16   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Carl...I live just outside of Hilo. If you make it to Radiobay, or Reeds, on the Big Island and need to do some repairs, I can let you use my place if needed
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"