Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 08:36   #1

Rusty but Willing !

Greetings everybody! Just stumbled onto this site for the first time last night. As my profile pretty much sums it up.... I used to do some sailing when I was in my early teens. I'm a 28 year old male and very eager to reacquaint myself with being on a sailboat.

Was living in Washington state for a chunk of time and decided I needed to start traveling. Been on the road for a few months now, and currently couch surfing in the Westport area of Connecticut. Just recently completed my certification with the American Red Cross for adult and pediatric first aid and CPR. Hoping to find a skipper in the northeast area [possibly beyond depending on the details] who would welcome someone like myself on-board.

I am pretty much interested in anything... day sailing, open ocean, coastal trips. My ultimate goal is to see the world [especially Australia] by boat and enjoy every minute of it.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:14   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Rusty but Willing !

G'Day Rusty, and welcome to CF.

I wish you luck in achieving your goals, but really, mate, if you want "to enjoy every minute of it" don't try to do it on a small sailboat. In my experience, there are all too many non-enjoyable minutes, hours, days to be endured.

For some of us, the results make it worthwhile!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-08-2011, 10:36   #3

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Welcome to the Forum!

Jim is correct and for me that little bit of work on the boat gets paid back many times with just one sail.

Unless you have the money to have all the work on your boat done, you'll spend 20+ hours a week keeping it "Bristol".
Old 03-08-2011, 12:11   #4

Thank you both for the warm welcome...

I can imagine how a traveling experience like this becomes more enjoyable the larger the vessel gets. More room to exist as a human, move, fart, etc.. But I am a travel rat of sorts. I've done some trips in very confined spaces. And it is very rare that I complete a trip without some sort of situation popping up along the way. In my opinion it usually isn't an adventure unless you encounter some hurdles. Granted all these experiences have been on land, so I really can't say for sure how I'd feel about it until I've had some experience on the water.

"glutton for punishment" might describe things best.

within the next few weeks I may be up in the Newport, RI / Cape Cod, MA areas.. and if that's the case, I'm going to try and take some basic sailing refresher course. I've seen some places that do a 2 hour session for like $100. Might be a good idea...