Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 16:53   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Sean, as I have said in the past, I agree with little boat and Brendan that gaining experience and making an ocean passage has a real value to some people who don’t have, (or want to), fork out hundreds of thousands of dollars for their own boat.

We as Owners absorb the costs and put in incredible “sweat equity” to make a boat ready for sea. I have no problem with an Owner asking a stranger (or friend) to share the consumable costs and crew work if they want to share the experience. That is how I began and I was nobodies fool!

It seems to me that a few people within yachting want to promote a “Professional Crew” mindset which in my opinion is a dangerous practice leading only to over-regulation to support a few puffed up yachties who consider their talents marketable.

Let both parties decide the value of sailing a yacht together and not load it up with this crap!
Old 03-03-2008, 13:16   #17
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Let both parties decide the value of sailing a yacht together and not load it up with this crap!
I agree!

But for those who don't think so, should we have a union to protect our rights to be paid as crew members? To have a 15 minute break every 4 hours?

I think Brendan is right. As long as he is up front with the offer, it's up the the responder to decide if they are getting what they want at the right pay. If work + tuition + expenses in exchange for time on the water and some instruction is worth it to them then great. Brendan is providing a service to two clients at the same time, the boat owner and the paying passenger. He can then either pass that savings on to his client or keep it depending on what the market will bear. That's a free market. But if we think there is something unethical or immoral about this, we could fight for more legislation (oh, yeah, we need more of that) or a union (Lord knows we need more of those, too). If YOU are looking for a trip but feel you should get paid for it, then hold out for an offer that meets your requirements.

Remember, there are lots of captains out there. The market is flooded. For yacht deliveries there are captains that will do it for next to nothing just to be able to run a boat that they don't have to pay to fuel up, and don't have to pay the insurrance, etc. Then there are ones that just need to be paid a little to supplement their retirement income, and ones who have to have a little more than that. So, you will find all kinds of situations with all types of needs. Could be Brendan needs the money. Or could be he's just found that there are people out there that value the experience he can offer enough to pay for it. If he can do that, more power to him. I wish I could. I'd quit my job today.

Me, I couldn't afford to pay much (cause I'm alread supporting a boat). But an opportunity to go on an open water voyage (in a boat I couldn't afford to buy or charter) with an experienced captain for a price MUCH cheaper than a cruise (yuk) actually sounds pretty good to me. If I could take off the time I'd consider it.
Old 25-03-2008, 18:43   #18

Boat: Nautitech Prout Something French
Send a message via Yahoo to blondezilla
If ur hot I'll go and buy your gas daddy... LOLOL

Just wanted to break up the monotony.
I didn't see him asking for pay; only saying that he didn't want a complete baboon to hop on his rig, fall off 8 times and not be good for anything, and buy his food & beers because he's broke...
We are talking about the Trans-Atty here. 20-35 days... I mean I think these were some valid concerns here...
In My Expert Opinions that is of course LOL

How you got all the other stuff is serious creativity and that is saying a lot from me.
<wink>

Myspace
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Say hi!

"Poverty is the birthplace of revolution."
Old 14-04-2008, 07:29   #19

I can offer a new guy's take on this as at some point I will be looking to get some experience similar to what you offer (though now is not the right time). Really I think it comes down to the wording of your initial post and some of the above replies could have been averted. If you are indeed looking for people who just want to go along but will be competent, then I would suggest stating less about needing a crew member and more as an opportunity to get some blue water experience. How much do people shell out to go on a commercial cruise ship? This experience would be much more fun and (I would hope) cost far less. So yes, there are people who do not view active participation as "work" and they would effectively be "crew," but that role is less significant than the experience. Just my two cents. I wish you the best in finding someone. Cheers.
Old 14-04-2008, 07:41   #20
jzk

Look if you have to paint the fence, and you can make it seem like fence painting is the best thing since disney land such that you can get all of your friends to paint your fence for you and appreciate the opportunity, then more power to you.

But then also, the rest of us have the right not to paint your fence and maybe even to point out that fence painting is work which really out to be compensated.
Old 14-04-2008, 07:50   #21

Just a brief note to say that we are fully crewed for this ocean crossing and looking forward to it.I will be thinking with regret of those who have been put off having an adventure by other peoples' comments.Fair winds and following seas to you all.Brendan
Old 14-04-2008, 07:55   #22
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanChandler View Post
Just a brief note to say that we are fully crewed for this ocean crossing and looking forward to it.I will be thinking with regret of those who have been put off having an adventure by other peoples' comments.Fair winds and following seas to you all.Brendan
Yeah, I feel really sorry for all of those that didn't get duped into helping this guy with his paid delivery.

BTW, there are many findacrew sites out there that advertise for all sorts of crew. If you really want a fun adventure and are willing to crew for shared expenses, then find a cruising family in the Caribbean that is looking for crew rather than helping someone with a delivery.
Old 14-04-2008, 09:21   #23

Boat: Stevens 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Yeah, I feel really sorry for all of those that didn't get duped into helping this guy with his paid delivery.

BTW, there are many findacrew sites out there that advertise for all sorts of crew. If you really want a fun adventure and are willing to crew for shared expenses, then find a cruising family in the Caribbean that is looking for crew rather than helping someone with a delivery.
It might help your credibility just a wee bit if you actually read ALL the posts before you fly off and hit a tree!

Brendan states quite clearly that he is sailing his OWN boat doing his OWN thing....it is NOT a paid delivery....in fact...he is exactly the "cruising family" that you recommend above.....Good Luck to him!!
Old 14-04-2008, 09:38   #24
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo View Post
It might help your credibility just a wee bit if you actually read ALL the posts before you fly off and hit a tree!

Brendan states quite clearly that he is sailing his OWN boat doing his OWN thing....it is NOT a paid delivery....in fact...he is exactly the "cruising family" that you recommend above.....Good Luck to him!!
You are correct, my appologies!
Old 28-04-2008, 20:03   #25

Boat: Shell Swifty 14, & 24' Culler / Bolger cat ketch sharpie
WOW!
This thread certainly didn't go in the direction I expected!

I fail to see how sailing one's own boat, and expecting someone to pick up their own share of expenses, is anything more than "carpooling". Be that as it may, I don't waste time in such moot battles. Suffice it to say, I'd have died for chances liske this when I was young, if I had had even a clue that they existed. Now, I'm well into a "career", and things like this must wait a few years until retirement. BrendanChandler, I wish you a safe and enjoyable trip!
Old 02-05-2008, 17:11   #26

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
There is 'crew' who is only required to stand watches on a well-found and experienced boat, and there is 'SUPERCREW' who is expected to save an inexperienced owner or poorly maintained boat. The compensation should match the situation, and ranges from paid crew to crew who pay.

Tags
Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda, Azores