Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 13:08   #1

Boat: 1979 30' Hunter
retirement job

We are a fifty year old couple with extensive experience sailing on Lake Michigan moving towards that next chapter in our life. We have a love for the Caribbean and have had many great adventures in the U.S. and British islands. we stayed five weeks on St John a few years back and recently chartered a bare boat out of Tortolla for our second time.
We have owned our own screen printing business for thirty plus years and rode the highs and lows that go with it. Our children are all grown and we are not people to ever say that we wished we would have.
Our goal is to live for a indefinite amount of time in the islands on a boat. A boat of our own would be great but being the skipper and crew of someone else's would be the dream job.
We are both people-people if that make sense. Easy to get along with and not stressful, we are able to get along with pretty much all personalities. We can go with the flow and would show guests a great time with whatever type of adventure they would be looking for out of there vacation. Be it snorkeling, diving, hiking, a trip to the Willy T or going to the bubbly pools at Jost. I do love to fish off my sail boat back home on the Big Lake and have many great stories to tell. On our last trip to the BVI we went 3 for 5 off the north shore of Tortolla.
We met a couple while down there this year that was captain and crew for a private charter working on a 50' cat out of Tortolla. We talked for awhile and they explained how they got the gig and told us that they work ten months out of the year. They sail back to Miami to dry dock during peak hurricane season, fly home for a couple months then return to do bottom paint and maintenance then sail back for the upcoming season. This sounds like the perfect situation.
Having an older boat I am very handy with general maintenance of all types, diesel, rigging, autopilots and such. We are both excellent cooks, in good shape and have good hygiene.
I thought this would be a good place to start to take my dream from a goal to a reality.

Tags
men, retirement