Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2008, 20:40   #1

puerto vallarta --> san diego end of Dec

ok, Jess is flying down with the last of the parts needed for the engine rebuild on weds and will get the boat ready to bring her up after xmass, Jess and a pro Captain friend will be bringing shimmer up to San Diego and she is looking for one or two more people that want to make the baja bash... if anybody is interested PM me and I will send you the details.

-Wantok
Old 16-12-2008, 03:36   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I betcha imagine2frolic would love to do that trip again!
Old 16-12-2008, 05:57   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
OH HUD,

You can be so fun at times!

You might want to consider going well offshore on the old clipper route. I have done the bash single-handed, and it's called the bash for a reason. Lots of fuel, and timing will make it easier. I used San Quintin, Acension, Magdellena, Abrieojos, & Turtle to get out of weather.

I lost my motor in Mag Bay, and beat all the way to San Quintin before I surrendered, and caught a bus to San Diego for a head gasket. Dec. is a tough time to do it too. Maybe a leisurely trip to Hawaii will be faster, and easier on everyone & the boat! I know I would do things differently if I had to do it again.......BEST WISHES in surviving the ordeal. Some get lucky, and it's a mill pond
Old 16-12-2008, 09:31   #4

LOL... yeah Dec is a bad month for it. Jess was just down in P.V. little over a week ago and found out the boat was not ready due to our contractor heading north and leaving the motor with a local Mech it took her a 4 days to find the engine and the Mech who could not source the parts for the diesel in Mexico!!! Long story short she is heading back down with new pistons, sleeves, rings and gaskets!!! lol, been calling her "diesel santa" all week with her bag of goodies. But the Diesel will be all rebuilt top to bottom for the Bash along with the life raft and the windvane and everything else I am not much worried our boat is a great solid blue water sloop designed by Morgan (not one of the out isands). Her friend is a good Capt. but I would rather she had a third or fourth person to stand watch and to bounce off of. Hell, for the rightm person I will pay for the there flight, lol.

-wantok
Old 16-12-2008, 12:14   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think my fondest memories of P.V is Ernesto's restaraunt. When you come into town from the north. Just after the road splits. Up the hill on top of an old hotel is where it was.

Ernie was actually from Antioch Ca., and a retired plumber. Married a pretty local gal. Had some offsprings, and opened a restaraunt. The tortilla soup is to die for.

BEST WISHES in finding a good crew, and enjoying P.V. when you can.......i2f
Old 16-12-2008, 12:50   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Not in the winter,mate

[quote=imagine2frolic;233774]
You might want to consider going well offshore on the old clipper route.

The "old clipper route" was for clippers,and isn't such a good idea for us little guys in the middle of winter... lots of serious weather happens around those waters at that time of year, and you are far enough off shore that shelter isn't available in a useful time frame.

Jim and Ann s/vInsatiable II lying Gladstone Qld, Oz
Old 16-12-2008, 13:22   #7

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Listen to Jim Cate. I am an old delivery skipper. You need to study the few places you can hide on the way up and watch your weather windows. Nasty this time of year.
Castine, Maine
Old 16-12-2008, 14:42   #8

BASH for sure. Get going just before first light each day and motor like hell until the wind and waves are too much. Hunker down in the best avail anchorage....which will likely be just behind an almost non existant point. Roll beam-to the seas (which are careening around the point) all night with the rudder just off the beach.... Get going just before first light.... etc Figure maybe 2-3 weeks of this. I think the Clipper Route may have something to be said for it!
Old 16-12-2008, 16:34   #9
cruiser

I sailed the Clipper route . It was easy. Once I got about 300 miles offshore, the wind went NE, making it an easy reach NW till I hit the westerlies at around 30 degrees north. By the time I left PV, three boats,incuding one I tried to talk into doing the clipper route, had been wrecked bashing up the coast. The Clipper route is far safer. Why do people so often assume that having a very dangerouse lee shore nearby makes things safer?
Brent
Old 16-12-2008, 18:19   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
December/January is probably a better time for the bash than April/May if you have time to wait for the weather. Ride the southerlies when they come, but then plan on getting off the pond for 36 hours as the high pressure fills back in and the NW winds blow HARD.
Old 25-12-2008, 19:04   #11

I would like her to run the clipper route, but she has no real offshore experience and is a bit skittish, we will see. Atm, we are still waiting for the Mexican mech to put the motor back in. He took a xmass break, lol, should be this week. Had several people interested in crewing so that makes me feel better.

-wantokex

Tags
puerto vallarta, san diego