Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2013, 13:31   #1

Wink PPJ San Diego to Tahiti

We have a vacancy for an experienced crew member to join us in sailing from San Diego to the Marquesas and then the Society Islands including Tahiti. The voyage is on a shared cost basis on a 50ft Beneteau Yacht. The voyage will start at the end of March 2013 and will take approximately 2 months and you would be leaving the boat in French Polynesia. If you are interested in joining the boat for the crossing please contact us and we will be happy to provide more information.

Best regards
Bronte
Old 26-02-2013, 16:53   #2

Re: PPJ San Diego to Tahiti

Hi, I am quite intrigued by your post and would like to be considered as crew if you are still looking. I live in Miami. I've been sailing since I was young but only in the last couple of years have I gotten serious about it. My girlfriend and I completed our bareboat charter certification with ASA last year and solo chartered in Greece this past September on a 37 Hanse for two weeks. We currently sail out of the Coconut Grove Sailing Club on a 34' Beneteau. I am by no means an expert and have never made a crossing but I am extremely fit and easy to get along with. I am 52. Have traveled extensively throughout the world and speak French fluently. I am a massage therapist and a former professional ballet dancer. I can cook and consider myself a well rounded individual. Again, I'd love to be considered. I can be reached at langloism50 (at) gmail.com. thanks.
Old 26-02-2013, 17:10   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Bronte...in fairness, you should tell people how pricey the cost of living in Tahiti (French Polynesia) is. Leaving someone in Tahiti, while it sounds romantic, is very cold hearted. French Polynesia is one of the most expensive regions in the world. Anyone considering this trip must have very very deep pockets; you CANNOT live on the cheap there. With the exceptions of watermelons, coconuts and fish locally caught, everything else must be imported from New Zealand or Australia. Don't be surprised if you're asked to pay $8 USD for a can of Coke. Unless you're fluent in French or Tahitian, and financially well off, don't even consider a "few days" there; most people can't afford it. Mauritz
Old 02-03-2013, 17:17   #4

I never found Tahiti much more spendy than Hawaii when I was there 2 years ago.
Gary
Old 06-03-2013, 20:31   #5

Boat: 88 Catalina 34

never been to either... thank goodness I don't drink coke... been a liveaboard for 7 years on my boat in San Diego... great looking sailor girl... would love to go...
Old 09-03-2013, 21:58   #6

Boat: I wish to crew out of Suva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte View Post
We have a vacancy for an experienced crew member to join us in sailing from San Diego to the Marquesas and then the Society Islands including Tahiti. The voyage is on a shared cost basis on a 50ft Beneteau Yacht. The voyage will start at the end of March 2013 and will take approximately 2 months and you would be leaving the boat in French Polynesia. If you are interested in joining the boat for the crossing please contact us and we will be happy to provide more information.

Best regards
Bronte
I'm a physician with 2 yrs sailing experience mostly in my own (former) 29-ft sloop down coast of Mexico, and also as ship's doctor on Norwegian barque circumnavigation the Atlantic. I'm looking for longer passages and available April 1st and am now in Los Angeles. Contact me by PM or phone 626-321-7774
Old 29-03-2013, 17:56   #7

Hello Bronte,

A little about me: My name is Adam. I am 24 years old, fit, healthy, non-smoker, no drugs, laid back, love sailing, trying to explore the world and experience as much as possible. I have plenty of funds to get me to French Poly as well as for a ticket for the rest of the way to Australia. I am in San Diego right now and can do a face to face meet.

Current Situation: In early December I scoured the sailing forums looking for crew positions to Australia. I found a boat leaving Ensenada mid April and agreed to come down mid March to help get the boat ready to sail. I was there for a week working on the boat and I realized that neither the boat or the owners are what I would consider "seaworthy" Nice enough fellows, but I don't trust them or their boat to get me across the pacific safely, so I am looking for another boat to crew on.

Boat Experience: I sailed last year for 4 months in the Carribbean. I logged almost 2000nm and did a few 3-4 day passages. I worked all last summer in Alaska aboard a Salmon Seining vessel. For the past 6 months I was in San Francisco saving for Australia and working at a sailing charter company doing repairs on their fleet. All told the almost all of the past year and a half has been spent sailing, or working on and around boats.

If I sound like a candidate for crew on your boat I would love you to call me at 515-306-4632 or send me a PM. And if not a simple "No thank you" would be nice so I can continue looking

Thanks,

Adam
Old 31-03-2013, 13:05   #8

Location: Everywhere that you want to be! "And, some that you don't!??
Boat: Boston Whaler
Send a message via AIM to UnExCorp Send a message via Skype™ to UnExCorp

Yes,

Flight, OneWay, out of PTT to HNL/LAX (U.S) are starting around $1,700/2K! I live on a Trust! And, for Me! that's still some$$$ for a OneWay~Ticket. It's Cheaper, by $$$ to just Fly Qantas from LAX to BNE/other! about $1,000.00 +/- Albeit, OneWay -To which, for me, is almost always -don't need to come back to anywhere in particular.

To spend so much $$$ on a 8h 10m flight/OneWay is simply stated: "Ridiculously Expensive!"

I would, indeed, agree -One must think carefully before taking such financial-liberties!

Yes, I could partake of such an excursions such as this but its not practical unless, quite rightly so, your continuing on to BNE/other-See Air New Zealand Cost, OneWay

$800.00

Cheers!

D.T.
W/orld T/raveler

Tags
tahiti