Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 08:39   #1

Boat: Allied Seawind MKII 32'
Placida, FL ---> Charleston, SC in late Aug/Sep

I am looking to move my 32' Allied SWII from Placida to Charleston sometime in late August/September the specific time being weather permitting.

It is myself and one other experienced skipper (USCG 100T) but we are looking for a third person to help with watch rotations, etc.

The trip is about 850NM and expect the trip to take about 10 days. Both of us are on time constraints so we will motorsail to make up for bad days if needed but of course hoping for great sailing. That said this trip is more about putting miles under the keel then stopping to see the sights.

If interested, let me know and provide me with your background and reasons for interest in the trip.

Thanks!

-ryan
Old 27-07-2016, 09:01   #2

Boat: None
Re: Placida, FL ---> Charleston, SC in late Aug/Sep

take the okechobee waterway and cut the trip in half. go slower, smell the roses (or algae, anyway)
Old 27-07-2016, 09:51   #3

Interesting option!

Does anyone know the bridge clearances for this waterway?

I'm probably sitting around 45' A quick google search revealed that I might be cutting it close. But hopefully someone here is better informed then I am.

Also reading, the Lake itself is reportedly fairly shallow and I'm running just under a 5' draft, The current lake level looks to be on the high side http://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/plots/okehp.pdf - so that's encouraging, first hand experience from anyone bringing a heavy full keep cruiser through this area would be helpful.
Old 27-07-2016, 13:47   #4

Boat: C&C 37/40

Hi Ryan Don here. Currently owner of my own boat, have passed the CG 100T class just lacking some days to send in paperwork. Plus although sailing for quite a number of years
I don't have a ton of cruising experience and in September I hope to bring my own boat down from Rhode Island to Florida And looking to gain experience.
Old 27-07-2016, 14:13   #5

Hi Don!

Feel free to send me a PM and we can trade details and keep a dialog going.

A few people have expressed in the trip, but of course it all comes down to specific dates and people's schedules/ambitions. I'm hoping to have the exact dates for the trip and people commited by mid-August. Then making the trip as close to the end of next month as possible for voyage.
Old 28-07-2016, 06:48   #6
SFS

Sent you a PM
Old 28-07-2016, 09:04   #7

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Averaging 85 NM/day sounds very optimistic. Your mast height should be no problem in the ICW but you need to check the canal entrances. Once across I would consider going outside and picking up the Gulf stream for part of the distance. Even staying in shore you will save a lot of time skipping the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale draw bridges.
Old 28-07-2016, 09:31   #8

The railroad lift bridge near Port Mayaka on the Okeechobee waterway has a vertical clearance of 49ft. If you can make it under that you're ok the rest of the way.
Old 28-07-2016, 09:34   #9

is this a paid crew position? or just a volunteer cruising trip?
Old 28-07-2016, 09:52   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is a service available that will using I believe barrels put enough list in your boat to get under the bridge.
If time is an issue, then I highly suggest this route
Old 28-07-2016, 10:07   #11

http://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/currentLL.shtml

This link gives current depth and bridge height.

I haven't done the Okeechobee but am relocating to FL in the next few years and will be selling my current boat for something smaller and more suitable for the west coast of Fl. So this is one of my considerations.
Old 28-07-2016, 10:14   #12

Boat: Allied Seawind II 32'

You won't have any problem with your Seawind II as I made that transit with my Seawind II
Old 28-07-2016, 11:55   #13

My boat needs a 45' clearance and I have gotten through all bridges on the Okeechobee waterway with no problems.
Old 28-07-2016, 13:42   #14

100 ton license, sailing a choey lee and coranado 41'. WhT is the remuneration? Live in Seminole, Fl
Old 30-07-2016, 06:47   #15

Boat: Tartan30

Plz put me on your backup list. I also have a 100ton Masters and lived on Pine Island FL for 10 years so am familiar with the Okeechobee Waterway, the inside Keys route or the outside. Not sure if I will be cleared from my current work trip in order match your schedule but plz put me on your contact list.
If the whole schedule goes south plz talk to me about me bringing it north for you. I own a 1975 Tartan 30. And have made the trip in boats from 30' to 58' both sail and power. No big ego trip just like being on the water