Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 14:29   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
Panama to Tahiti March-May 2009

We are looking for one or two extra crew to help us sail this leg of our journey. We are in the Caribbean at the moment but in late February we will be heading to Panama from Grenada and hope to be through the Panama Canal by the middle of March.

Our boat is a Stevens 47, very well equipped and set up for offshore cruising. This is a very stable seaworthy boat. I am skippering and I've been sailing since I was 19, about 32 years. My crewmember has been sailing for 6 mnths. We have both been living on the boat for that long.
We need someone who has a great attitude and wants to gain experience with water sailing">blue water sailing. We do not HAVE to take anyone on but it would be nice to have an extra hand or two to help with watches etc so the deal is this:

We have the boat and pay for any maintenance issues etc. as well as our share of food and drink.

You pay for the following....
Your airfare to and from the boat.
Your part of the food costs
Any of your own shoreside costs e.g. hotel, drinks, restaurant dinners etc

You will be expected to be a part of the crew in all respects, taking watches, sailing the boat, turns with cooking and cleaning up day to day stuff....just as you would in a roommate situation on shore.
What you get is return is a chance at an extensive offshore voyage with all the sailing experience involved...enough miles to qualify for almost any Capt's licence.

We are less impressed with your sailing experience so far as we are with attitude and willingness to learn. We can teach someone who is completely green but a little basic sailing knowledge would be good. Of course anyone with lots of experience would be welcomed too.

We would probably stooge around the pacific coast of Panama for a week or so to get whoever comes oriented to the boat and ourselves before heading off to the Galapagos Islands (about a 9 day sail) then to the Marquesas (about a 24-28 day sail). We plan to spend a week or two in the Galapagos Islands then the rest of the time sailing to the Marquesas then Tuamotos then Tahiti, to be in Tahiti by early to middle June or thereabouts.

Please reply to mike(at)rogueprojex(dot)net

Michael
Old 06-10-2008, 12:21   #2

Dear Michael, I am very happy to find out your offer for two extra crew person for your boat. I would like to ask for place from PANAMA to GALAPAGOS. I am crossed Atlantic twice and every year going to Italy Sweden and others to sail with friends. Also two journeys from Horta to Spain. We run here sailor webserver Please let me know if you are interested just for this short way and I will send more info about me. Regards JIRI ZUJIC from Czech Republic.
Old 16-11-2008, 10:43   #3

I have had an incredible response to this request and all positions are now filled!!!......

Thank you so much for your interest

Michael
Old 22-12-2008, 06:44   #4

Funny how people can commit then uncommit at a moments notice or with no notice at all....I still have one position open for this leg of my journey...in fact the position is open from Panama all the way to New Zealand in late October...

Please contact me at the address in the original post

Thanks

Michael
Old 22-12-2008, 08:43   #5

i am avalaible
i am an engineer on boat with some experience on sailing boat repair.
this is my email polymarine@gmail.com

Tags
arc, Panama, Panama Canal, tahiti