Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2013, 14:41   #1

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv
Panama To French Polynesia

Hello intending long range sailors...... arrrrr!

after a great Atlantic crossing last Dec and a fantastic year in the Caribbean and East Coast USA, I am preparing to cross the longest expanse of water on earth, about 4,000NM from Panama to the Marquesas.

I have two queen cabins available, but looking for 3 crew only.
At the moment I have some strong interest from two young men with some experience, but I have not committed yet.

Here is the plan:
  • Leave the South of Cuba on 24 Jan to go to the San Blas island and rendezvous with others cruisers
  • Arrive in Colon (Atlantic side of Panama on 13th Feb pick up crew between 13~17 Feb.
  • Cross Panama around 18th Feb
  • Leave Panama City on 22 Feb
  • Marquesas from 20 to 31 March
  • Tuamotus from 5 April onwards
  • Now the plan is fuzzy....
You are welcome from 14Feb in Colon to 10 April in the Tuamotus, you could leave in the Marquesas, but the Tuamotus are an incredible sailing, diving paradise.....
You will have to pay your way to Colon and out of the French Polynesia, (airline tickets required by the French authorities) and pay a once only contribution to my expenses of USD 2,500.

I will pay for all all costs associated with the boat (transit, visas, food, drinks including rum, arrrr...)

Some rules:
  1. No smoking on board
  2. No drinking during sailing
  3. You will participate to all duties on board, except cooking if you are a bad cook....
  4. I will teach all I know, if you want to learn

If you are interested, especially if you are a mature couple, get back to me ASAP as I have to make up my mind about the two young men I mentioned above.

You can see NOVAE here: http://www.salinacharters.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panama to Tuamotus.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	71342  
Old 01-12-2013, 13:28   #2

Re: Panama To French Polynesia

Stefano!

We are a mature (36&40yy outgoing fantastic couple looking for out next adventure! We don't have much sailing experience but are hard workers and love to learn please email sportycs@gmail.com We hope to b in touch soon! Casey & shaun
Old 09-12-2013, 23:33   #3

Sounds like a fun trip! A friend and I (both with only trimaran experience) will be in Panama around the same time. Would love to help you cross the canal if you could convince your oncoming crew to meet you in Panama City instead of Colon.
Let me know!
Old 17-12-2013, 13:06   #4

Hello!
I'm very interested in joining you in this enterprise. I'm a mexican young painter but love to sail since I have memory, I could be of good help to you since I am very easy while living at sea and possess skill and technique in sailing, always ready to hard work on board. I took part on my first ocean cruising experience at ARC 2012 and would love to travel through the Pacific Ocean. Apart from it I've sail raced all my life. I live in Mexico City and ready to join you in Panama if you're interested contact me please patriciohea@hotmail.com.
Old 18-12-2013, 20:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat OHea View Post
Hello!
I'm very interested in joining you in this enterprise. I'm a mexican young painter but love to sail since I have memory, I could be of good help to you since I am very easy while living at sea and possess skill and technique in sailing, always ready to hard work on board. I took part on my first ocean cruising experience at ARC 2012 and would love to travel through the Pacific Ocean. Apart from it I've sail raced all my life. I live in Mexico City and ready to join you in Panama if you're interested contact me please patriciohea@hotmail.com.
Hi Pat,
I sent you an email with more details.
Reply here if you do not receive it.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:32   #6

Hello everyone,

I have one space left.
I had a great response to this thread, but still considering the last crew member.

Get in touch with me if you are keen, even if you wrote earlier as I lost track of who wrote what when......
Old 12-01-2014, 12:30   #7

Hi Stefano,

Sounds like a great trip. I crossed the Atlantic both ways a few years ago on a 42' Swan Yacht, loved it, and looking for the next great adventure. This sounds like it's it. Short of writing a novel here, I can be reached at swraith@earthlink.net. I'd be happy to tell you more and like to hear more! Thanks, Steve
Old 12-01-2014, 21:27   #8

Quick story - 7 years living aboard and refitting a Sparkmen-Stephen's design 40' - 2 years as sail-fleet captain at a Washington state yacht club - 16,000+ miles offshore on the west coast of Canada, the US and Mexico.

I'm in my early 50's, so have sailed a fair amount, including some pretty rough weather.

I'd be interested, and am available immediately.

Merritt Fallis
Old 01-02-2014, 14:59   #9

Hey there! I'm currently in Panama City, and I've worked as a sailor aboard a 45' steel hull ketch rig sailing between the San Blas Islands and Cartagena (a short but not easy crossing). Our sail boat took passengers and my duties included dealing with them and doing almost all the cooking, PLUS the standard sailor duties so i know how to work hard. The only crew members were the captain and myself, so we split time at the tiller (3 hour shifts). I know my way around a boat and I'm an expert carpenter (I owned a construction company in Texas). Id even be willing to help you with repairs to your boat, as I brought my tools with me to Panama (I drove). I'm planning on being in Panama through march at the latest, then I planned on flying to Austrailia. However, if you are serious about making this trip I could put off buying a plane ticket. I'm a 29 y/o male, I get along with all types of people, and I'd love to make this journey with you.. Being a traveler I'd like to make this trip as cheaply as possible (I've been traveling 8 months now). At least not spend more than I would on a plane ticket. Let me know what you think! -Russell
Old 05-04-2014, 12:57   #10

Hello

I have read your post on cruisers forum and I'm interested to join you on your trip. Are you still looking for crew and would it be possible to meet with you and the crew and boat in Panama?

I am currently in Costa Rica but arriving in Panama city tomorrow to start looking or a boat to cross the Pacific.

I am 21 years old from Scotland, I have good sailing experience from sailing across the Atlantic, in the Caribbean and Europe. I am a helpful and friendly crew member who is easy to get along with. I would be interested to join you to Tahiti with the possibility of continuing further.

Please contact me if you are interested, I can send you more information about myself and my experience as you wish.

I hope to hear from you soon
Kindest regards
Colin

Email: mansoncol@gmail.com
Mobile: 00447810667362
Old 18-05-2014, 03:44   #11

Hello everybody,

first of all a big apology for not responding earlier to the above posts, but the forum did not advise me of the new posts and the internet here in French Polynesia is VERY slow, so I have not logged in for a long time.

We are continuing our journey westwards and plan to get to New Zealand by mid October.

We are currently in Tahiti and will cruise around the French Society islands for another month, then Cook, Samoa, Tonga, NZ.

If any of you is interested in spending a week or two with us and learn how to sail or how to live on a beautiful catamaran, please drop a line or PM and I will tell you if I have space for that time.
It will be not quite a 'charter' but it will be a paid passage.

You can also write to me directly at: novaethecat@gmail.com

Keep smiling
Stefano & Helen

Tags
enc, French Polynesia, Panama