Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 14:25   #1

Boat: Selene Ocean Trawler, 60
Panama. Costa Rica and Mexico Oct-Mar

Retired couple cruising on 57 foot trawler/motor yacht looking for individual to join us from late October through March. Currently in Colon, Panama. Plan on spending a couple of weeks in the San Blas Islands before transiting the canal in early November. A month in Costa Rica and another couple of months on the Gold Coast of Mexico, before arriving La Paz at the end of February to prepare the boat for shipping to the Pacific NW/Victoria, Canada.

We pay all boat expenses and meals aboard in exchange for assistance with day to day maintenance and participating in the watch schedule on longer passages.

Our boat is a 2007 Selene 57 Ocean Trawler with all the necessary equipment to make safe passage along this route.

If interested, please respond or PM and we will get back to you.

Thank you,

Deborah
Old 02-10-2012, 15:09   #2

Re: Panama. Costa Rica and Mexico Oct-Mar

Hi Deborah,
pm sent
Sherrin
Old 02-10-2012, 15:30   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to jasonk

Hi, Deborah. I'm smiling ear to ear (and hoping to be the one you choose) because I just finished crewing on a 61' cheoy Lee and I was hoping to find someone just like you to continue acquiring sea-time and experience. I've had my fingers crossed for some time, hoping to get on board for a long passage. Please email me so that I can email you the letter of reference from the last boat owner, and tell you what certifications I have.
To see me, google "guacamole with veritas mariner,' and you'll get to my first video. From there, you can get to the rest of my videos. I'm a formally trained Chef and Sommelier by trade. I put all those videos together in a day and a half so that I could do exactly what I'm doing now, sending the link to owners on whose boat I'd like to crew on. Regards to all. jasonkyriakou at hotmail dot com
Old 04-10-2012, 08:38   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to thymboy

I am 56 years old globetrotter with experience in yacht maintenance. Cleaning hulls and engine room, sand-blasting and varnishing, good vegetarian cook. I also have first aid, CPR, lifeguard instructor certificates from Hawaii and australia. I can coach iron-man workout (ruff water swim, stretch-yoga, beach run, surf). I speak French, English, Spanish, Hebrew, I love to join you on this voyage if you send me a plane ticket from Israel to Panama.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:45   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to thymboy

Please someone explain what PM means ?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04   #6

A PM is a personal message/
Available from the drop down menu when you click on the name
Sherrin
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18   #7

Boat: 1977 42' Mapleleaf

Just a word of advise - be SURE to check the tides when you reach the Pacific side of Panama...you may be used to the 1-2 foot tides of the Caribbean, but on the Pacific side of Panama they have up to 20 foot tides!

We've saved several boats (from the Caribbean side) drifting around the Panama Bay anchorage who tossed out a "few feet" of chain and went to town! Most cruisers in the anchorage have 150' - 200' of chain (good scope) out.

Be sure to check in with the local Panama Cruisers Net on Ch 74 M-S at 8am...lots of info!

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2012, 19:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svWindfall View Post
Just a word of advise - be SURE to check the tides when you reach the Pacific side of Panama...you may be used to the 1-2 foot tides of the Caribbean, but on the Pacific side of Panama they have up to 20 foot tides!

We've saved several boats (from the Caribbean side) drifting around the Panama Bay anchorage who tossed out a "few feet" of chain and went to town! Most cruisers in the anchorage have 150' - 200' of chain (good scope) out.

Be sure to check in with the local Panama Cruisers Net on Ch 74 M-S at 8am...lots of info!

Cheers!
Thanks Windfall. We're from Alaska, so used to big tidal changes. We carry dual anchors with 600' of chain each. Have seen ourselves, the results of those from "no tide land" who ended up on the beach or causing havoc in an anchorage by not being aware that 5:1 scope became 1:1 with the change of the tide. Also thanks for the info on the Panama Cruisers Net. If you are still in Bocas and have any contact with Ben and Skye on Southern Wind/Floating Doctors; tell them Deb from Renegade says hello and keep up the good work! Cheers back at you.
Old 06-10-2012, 18:29   #9

Sounds like a great vessel. I would be interested, however I am in Florida at the moment. I am looking to get over the Gulf to Costa Rica. If you know of an opportunity, let me know.

Thanks and good luck!

Don
Old 11-10-2012, 06:34   #10

A physically, fit enthusiastic, British male wanting to learn more about the boating world and gain experience in sailing. Last may i crewed a 40 ft sailing yacht, hoping to sail from Bordeaux to Turkey, but complications including crew and weather conditions cut the trip out short. I'm hoping to become an officer in the Royal Marines, in which a high level of fitness, strength and teamwork are crucial, as I know are also within a sailing environment. I would consider myself a fast learner and have a skill of being able to blend into any environment quickly. I'm very easy to get along with and would ensure a happy and friendly crew mate, work hard, play harder!(in some cases). My enthusiasm and a passion for learning and gaining new experiences makes me an ideal candidate to be part of your crew, if your willing to teach me you can ensure a reliable future crew member, on call.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisashley View Post
A physically, fit enthusiastic, British male wanting to learn more about the boating world and gain experience in sailing. Last may i crewed a 40 ft sailing yacht, hoping to sail from Bordeaux to Turkey, but complications including crew and weather conditions cut the trip out short. I'm hoping to become an officer in the Royal Marines, in which a high level of fitness, strength and teamwork are crucial, as I know are also within a sailing environment. I would consider myself a fast learner and have a skill of being able to blend into any environment quickly. I'm very easy to get along with and would ensure a happy and friendly crew mate, work hard, play harder!(in some cases). My enthusiasm and a passion for learning and gaining new experiences makes me an ideal candidate to be part of your crew, if your willing to teach me you can ensure a reliable future crew member, on call.
Ellis,
Thank you for your response. Will keep you in mind for future crew needs, but I believe we have filled this position. All the best to you.
Deborah
Old 11-10-2012, 07:11   #12

Crew position has been filled.

Thanks to everyone who responded to our crew wanted post. We have filled this position. Best of luck in finding the situation you are seeking!
Deborah
Old 11-10-2012, 10:08   #13

Good day and congratulations on your new deck hand if things dont work out I am currently in Mexico (P.V.) and ready to go on a few days notice, current PADI rescue diver license,CPR and first aid, 20 years in the yachting industry as a deckhand, body gaurd, captain, yacht manager and more for long passages and Island hoping through out the Caribbean and Pacific Coast, male 44 years old current passport, physicaly fit, no drugs or drama, please keep me in mind or contact me for a resume or for more qualifications scubatoursmx at hotmail dot com

Regards,

BC

Tags
Mexico, Panama