Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 14:46   #1

pirate Panama Canal Transit, North and/or South - April 24 - May 1, 2012.

Line Handler / Deckhand. No pay required. Mature, excellent physical condition - Hawai`i Ironman, 35 marathons, 100’s of triathlons and running races, dozens of multi-mile open water swims. Experienced sailor - Virgin Islands, Chesapeake Bay, California Coastal Waters, Great Lakes. Former Sea Explorer/instructor, have owned several boats. Current organizer of a Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe Club and a weekly ukulele kanikapila. Advanced open water scuba certified. Former V.P. Marketing, medical and biotech companies. Responsible, affable, outgoing, great sense of humor, neat, clean, respectful, considerate, clean-cut, hard-worker. Not creepy or scary in any way - you’ll feel very comfortable having me aboard. My life’s dream has been to transit the Panama Canal on a small boat. Will bring my own food, beverage, etc. and pay all my own expenses. Dates are April 24 - May 1.
(949) 939-9294. race2sea@yahoo.com
Thanks.
Old 03-04-2012, 15:18   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Panama Canal Transit, North and/or South - April 24 - May 1, 2012.

All cruisers waiting to transit will assist as linehandlers - free. All young people staying at the Hostel backpacking the country, will linehandle - free. All cab drivers and their many cousins will linehandle for a small charge. If you wish and are singlehandling cabbies will recommend young ladies to assist in your -ah- transit.
When the word gets out that you had the admeasure folks visit your boat, trust me, you'll be turning away offers to lindhandle - free.
Old 03-04-2012, 16:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
All cruisers waiting to transit will assist as linehandlers - free. All young people staying at the Hostel backpacking the country, will linehandle - free. All cab drivers and their many cousins will linehandle for a small charge. If you wish and are singlehandling cabbies will recommend young ladies to assist in your -ah- transit.
When the word gets out that you had the admeasure folks visit your boat, trust me, you'll be turning away offers to lindhandle - free.
Thanks John. I hear you saying that line handlers are a dime a dozen. Doesn’t mean I can’t give it a try.
Old 03-04-2012, 17:28   #4

Nope it doesn't.
Just be aware of reality
Old 03-04-2012, 17:30   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Johns comments have not been my experiance. I've done 7 transits in the last 6 months or so. At this time of year most boats are going south bound- Colon to the Pacific. The last month has been very busy. Probably will have slowed down by the time you are here. Since cruisers don't get their schedule for their transit until 3 to 10 days out it can be a little hard to schedule linehandlers. Send Shelter Bay Marina an email and ask them to post it on their buletin board.
Old 03-04-2012, 17:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Nope it doesn't.
Just be aware of reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Johns comments have not been my experiance. I've done 7 transits in the last 6 months or so. At this time of year most boats are going south bound- Colon to the Pacific. The last month has been very busy. Probably will have slowed down by the time you are here. Since cruisers don't get their schedule for their transit until 3 to 10 days out it can be a little hard to schedule linehandlers. Send Shelter Bay Marina an email and ask them to post it on their buletin board.
Thank you, Paul. That truly is helpful information. Kind of you to take the time to share it.
- David
Old 03-04-2012, 18:09   #7

I arrived at Balboa singlhandling in mid August of 2001. I spent four months at the Pedro Migal Boat Club on Miraflores lake next to the top lock on the Pacific side. I was a linehandler on three other boats.
The conditions I mentioned were based on my experience.
Cheers.
Old 03-04-2012, 19:24   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie and I have done both, helped others in a swap deal, and hired some Cousins, but that darn Connie would never let me hire the Lady line handlers!! And I thought it would make a great crossing !! just rememberance !!
Old 03-04-2012, 21:54   #9

The lady linehandlers usually want to bring their three pre-schoolers along.

Tags
Panama