Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 11:07   #1

Panama Canal Transit Line Handler

Hi, I am currently travelling in South and central America and will be in Panama in the next week. If anyone would like help for a Canal transit from the 11th or 12th onwards please let me know. I am a quilfied merchant Navy officer as well as a yacht owner and just fancy getting on the water during my trip. I am an English speaker but can also get by in Spanish
Old 06-11-2012, 11:46   #2

Boat: 1977 42' Mapleleaf
Re: Panama Canal Transit Line Handler

Assuming you'll be in Panama City - Best to go to the Amador Causeway anchorage with a VHF Handheld radio and get on Ch 74 at 8am with the local cruisers net, then give your qualifications ....many are looking for (unpaid) line-handler's help. And, on Thursday evenings go to the cruisers pizza night held next to the Amador anchorage and meet some of the cruisers in person. Lots of info on the morning cruiser's net for you. FYI- Most Captain's will pay your return fare back to Panama City.

Option #2 (much harder) If you're on the Colon side, go to Shelter Bay Marina and walk the docks, ask around, have a couple beer's in the restaurant, and/or leave your info on the cruiser's board inside by the main office. Be warned, it's an expensive cab ride (each way) from Colon to Shelter Bay and it's NOT a cheap/easy trip either way as there are NO Taxi's at Shelter Bay Marina, and I would not advise you to stay in Colon. Best to do your search from the Panama City side. FYI- it's an $80 cab fare one-way from Shelter Bay to Panama City. You can hire a local taxi by the hour/day...work the best fare, or ask the local cruisers for a good cabbie's phone number who speaks English if you need...they DO KNOW who is best.
And, I'm sure others will have more great ideas for you as well.
Old 29-01-2013, 03:41   #3

Re: Panama Canal Transit Line Handler

You can also register to be a line handler on Panama Line Handler - Intro

Tags
Panama