Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 16:50   #1

Boat: Cape George 45 Ketch and J/80
Panama Canal

If you are planning to transit the Panama Canal either way between February and May 2016 and are looking for transit crew for line handling etc... please let me know! I am planning to bring my boat through the canal within the next year or so and would like to transit on another boat as crew so I have some useful experience before transiting as skipper, particularly with respect to formalities and procedures etc.... I will take care of all my travel costs to/from each end but can only be with you for the transit period.

Thanks!
Steve
Old 23-09-2015, 17:08   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Panama Canal

Easy enough to arrange and pretty common, but hanging out waiting for schedules to sync up can get spendy.

Both the Balboa Yacht Club (pacific side) and Shelter Bay Marina (AKA "Shelter Pay", on the Atlantic side) have boards full of line handler postings and bars to hang out in and meet other cruisers.

As the time gets closer you should also try the cruisers nets, like SW Carib or Pana Connection, both SSB nets on the Atlantic side (though occassional Pacific traffic pops in to say hi).

Ive been invited to line handle a few times without even deliberately looking...just hanging out working on the boat.

Taking the train is an interesting way to get back and forth if it fits the schedule.

Canal expansion project is really making visible progress. New locks at Gatun are flooded now, but not yet in operation.

Tags
Panama, Panama Canal