Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 05:44   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Westsail 43
Offshore sailing class and adventure, Panama Canal to Rhode Island

Hi all, I'm an ASA sailing instructor, been a working captain for 15 years teaching and running charter boats. Reposting here as we have been sailing so long my thread got moved to archives I'm moving my own boat for a change so I'm offering offshore sailing classes along the passage from Panama up the Caribbean to New England. We started in San Diego, been cruising the Pacific coast since November. Next leg we leave April 11 (fly into Panama City, panama). The whole trip has been about 6 months, we have had 15 happy students so far. We have a few surfboards, fishing gear, a stand-up paddleboard, snorkle gear, etc, come along if you're looking to have a great time and learn a lot, and are willing to help out with expenses (fuel/food/immigration). The trip is broken down into 2 week legs, and there be a captain and room for 3 students on each leg. Next leg is Panama to Florida. Couples welcome, all levels of experience. Several of my former students will be along at various times. I run a laid-back boat, no yelling, lots of learning and take time for fun whenever we can. Fair winds,

-Jesse
Old 02-04-2015, 08:01   #2

Boat: 31' Hunter
Re: Offshore sailing class and adventure, Panama Canal to Rhode Island

Hi Jesse, I'm wondering if there's a chance to meet up with you somewhere on the east coast. My husband and I are looking for opportunities just like what you're offering but can only be away up to a week. We are in Massachusetts so if you need someone for the last leg, please keep us in mind. We owned a 32' boat and sailed in Narragansett Bay but had to sell due to an employment change for my husband.
Old 03-04-2015, 00:52   #3

Boat: OPB while I search for mine

Hi Jesse,

I've been following your progress since your postings last year - just hadn't been the right timing (or side of the country) for me to see about joining you yet. I had actually been hoping to look into joining you for the Panama to FL crossing, as I'd love to get that passage under my belt, but the timing just didn't quite gel... That said, I'm definitely interested in seeing about joining you for a leg or two while you're working your way up the east coast. Do you have any idea of what ports you'll be stopping at in the southeast yet?

Have a safe canal transit and fair winds on your passage north, wish I'd been able to join you for it!

Darren
Old 05-04-2015, 11:05   #4

Boat: Paceship PY26

I could join you in Panama and stay for as long as you'd like. I sail my own boat in the Great Lakes but would love to have Caribbean sailing experience. I have two offshore sailing experiences already and would love some more! 😊

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-04-2015, 03:45   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quick update here: The FL to RI leg is filled at the moment, if you message me about that it's going in my "alternates" pile in case we get a cancellation but likely we are all set for that leg. On the other hand, the departure date from Panama has been pushed back to to April 22, and we still have room for one more crew, so message me if you are interested. We also have a website Offshore Sailing 2014 and a Facebook group with about a million pictures of the trip so far at "Koae Sailing", check it out.
Old 16-04-2015, 08:04   #6

Hi Jesse, I am interested in learning about sailing and saw your thread and thought it would be a good place to start. I've never worked on a boat but I am so willing to putt time in to learn. Please let me know what I can do to get the ball rolling. I would appreciate it so much! Thank you, Cody
Old 16-04-2015, 08:28   #7
Marine Service Provider

Hi Cody, best way to go is to email me, there's a link off the website I think near the bottom, or info @ bettermarineservices dot com. Thanks!
Old 16-04-2015, 10:09   #8

Hi there

Are you stopping in he D.R?

Please do let me know.

Thanks
Katz
Old 02-05-2015, 16:33   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to mike528

Hi.
My name is mike (israeli citizen). Did a one week sailing course in newport few months ago skipper us sailing and i am looking exactly for such sailing as you offer. I am 61 years old in good shape and health. Presently in panama city , panama.
As i am retired i have a lot of free time and can join the sailing anywhere. Please advise if any position available and when /where.
My email mike5282002@yahoo.com

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
offshore, Panama, Panama Canal, Rhode Island, sail, sailing