Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2012, 08:37   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Ocean Work Next Week - PNW the Real Thing

I need to transport my Valiant 40 from Bellingham Washington to Astoria Ore during next week. Monday and Tuesday look like good days, with the forecast of being spanked if we are on the water much Wednesday. (this could change of course)
Looking at leaving Bellingham with the outgoing tide (early Monday am) Arriving Tuesday night at Oregon. Things may change- will hold up at Cape Flattery until they are good.
- Joint provisioning
-Transport paid back to Bellingham or Portland if you crew. I will reimburse a train ticket from Portland if you are a good crewperson. If you are there just for the experience it costs 50.00 a day.
- Crew is expected to keep watch, be experienced and sail well.
- No hidden agendas, just open ocean sailing.
-will look at couples or single.

If interested, PM me immediately with phone #. If we haven't talked to each other by Sunday PM, forget it.
Old 20-04-2012, 08:50   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Ocean Work Next week, PNW the real thing.

I've love to take the trip with you Newt. Unfortunately time, distance, and lack of funds conspire to keep me shore-bound.

Have a great trip. I've sailed out of Vancouver on a Valiant (great boat!) around this time of year. It can be "fun."
Old 20-04-2012, 09:13   #3

Hmmm.... you'll be fighting the tide in the Straight... lucky to make Neah Bay the first day. Isnt it over 200 miles from there to the Columbia?

Old 20-04-2012, 09:23   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

iffn i werent already in warmville and so far away i would jump on this trip...smooth sailing!
Old 20-04-2012, 20:07   #5

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I would say it is best to head to Neah bay and waite for a good weather window. I was looking on my XM weather and sea conditions last week and they were having 14 ft waves with 25 kt breezes so you might check the off shore weather buoys before heading south along the coast and it's about 165 miles and when getting to the Columbia river DO NOT TRY TO CHEET THE ENTRANCE go south and then enter heading NNE, or you will have trouble with big waves.

Good luck and keep us posted on your success. We are headed to down the Columbia river and up to the San Juan islands mid July thru first of Sept.
Old 20-04-2012, 20:31   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Good advice, webejammin... it can get nasty if you take a northerly entrance across the C Bar. Also give yourself lots of sea room around Flattery if you haven't rounded before. Spent several years fishing off the Swiftsure Bank and the currents and confused seas can be a challenge. I've done probably 30-40 deliveries north and south out of the Straits and both Cape Beale and Flattery deserve respect. Do not try to enter Grays Harbor north of the Columbia Bar after dark without local knowledge. I have fun memories of Neah Bay back in the sixties. It was just a small native village at that time but accessible by CZ logging roads by land in good weather during the summer months. Had to hitch a ride twice on CZ logging trucks to pick up boats in Neah when the owners bailed on the trip south. Have a fun, safe passage... Cheers, Capt Phil
Old 21-04-2012, 12:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You guys all offer great advice. I have been watch the predictions for a while- will not round Flattery until I have at least 48 hours of good weather. My Valiant can make it in about half that time (I think!). I will enter the Columbia from the SW. Thanks guys!
BTW- anybody wants a pickup from Neah Bay down, I will do that too. I might end up doing this solo, but thats OK too.
Last question- Which entrance buoy do you round before cutting into the river? I am safe cutting outside G7 or do I need to go to G3? I guess what I am asking is how shallow are those dumping grounds??
Old 21-04-2012, 14:43   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Too short a notice or I'd be game.
Old 21-04-2012, 15:36   #9

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Stay well off G3 to the west before making your turn in to the ship channel. DO NO ATTEMPT ON AN EBB TIDE! Call USCG for Bar conditions. There are also flashing lights than can be seen from quite a distance in your starboard as you enter from the SW if bar conditions are spooky.
You can expect to experience the bar generated swell north of Cape Disappointment so stay well out to sea heading outside of G3 which you will leave to port as you will get set inshore by the swell which can be quite steep.
It's been a while since I did a crossing there but just use good judgement and watch the tides and your sounder. Cheers, Capt Phil
Old 21-04-2012, 15:41   #10

Boat: Orca 38

I've got to get on the phone and see if I can cancel/rearrange some monday and Tuesday meetings. I'll p.m. you by tomorrow say 10 a.m.
A Neah Bay pick up would work.

Let me check the weather out too, but i believe you're right.

John
Old 21-04-2012, 17:25   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Charlie- I thought you would be too busy or I would have asked you personally. You can check out the boatyards in Astoria and call it a business trip! They have one DIY just like the Landings only cheaper.
John- pm me if your serious, we might wait until after the southern blow - which would put you Thurs/Friday or so. The southern wind seems to be "advancing" closing our window.
Old 21-04-2012, 20:33   #12

Boat: Orca 38

Just left you a message Newt. I'm in!
Charlie, we can discuss a paint job on my boat and call it business should you change your mind.

John
Old 21-04-2012, 21:42   #13

We were out on our boat today and the current was really swift so we checked online and at the Dalles dam the Columbia is running over 300,000 CFS and that's up stream of several other rivers the forcast is to be flooding here from the Cascades next weekend. We had beautiful sunny and 80 deg weather today and tomorrow, this will get the snow melting quickly. This means some really steep waves and strong currents at the bar.
Old 22-04-2012, 06:28   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the tip Webejammin. How far into the incoming tide should we be before we come in?
Old 22-04-2012, 08:59   #15

Just be carefull, I don't kow about the tides but the incoming tides against all that outgoing current would cause big standing waves. Good luck