Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 04:25   #1

Boat: Sealine S28
Occassional Companion to Help Me Stay Afloat . . .

So... having just purchased my first boat, a 2002 Sealine S28, berthed in Port Solent marina, my inaugural trip ended in less than a mile when I missed a Red channel marker and ran aground - honesty is the best policy after all.

With my daughter and her friend (complete with 11-month old baby), we had to wait for 5 hours before the tide returned and I could break free from the mud and return to the marina, pride in tatters and both stern-drive prop sets missing significant chunks of metal. My daughter was a great help but with no boating exerience at all.

I do hold an ICC having completed the RYA Day Skipper (sail), so I don't think I am a total dunce, I just somehow got distracted and missed the turn - I guess I'm not the first, and won't be the last!

Here's my dilema: I want to spend a lot of time with and on the boat, and of course take her out once in a while. I am a confident chap, but have to confess that my confidence is a tad battered right now. None of my traditional circle of friends have any boating experience and I would really appreciate a supportive, competent crew member to accompany me on my next ventures.

If you are in the Port Solent area (or even berthed in the marina), and fancy the occassional trip out of the harbour I'd be happy to buy the beers - Just let me know - John
Old 06-06-2011, 04:50   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Re: Occassional companion to help me stay afloat...

Chin up John, as you say, we all make mistakes, we just dont talk about or admit to them.

6 years ago, I was the mugette who worked in unit 2 at Sealine, doing the QA on the S28, S34 and F34, so I know a little about the boat if you ever have a need to moan about them.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:54   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

To hook up with folks in your part of the world probably more success on YBW.com. The motorboat section was quite active (at least before the recession ) - including group runs............but I've not been on the site for a few years. I think my 3rd lifetime ban has a while yet to run
Old 06-06-2011, 05:22   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

John,

You have to look at from this point of view.
You are now an authority on that particular hazard-and in a position to advise us all.
You just hope that you don't become the local expert on too many of these locations.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:25   #5

Location: When not afloat: Whistler, BC, Canada & Lymington, UK

I will be based near Lymington, Hampshire with my daughter for most of July and August. I am a qualified and experienced sailor - powerboat knowledge is limited. But I do know loads about navigation and seamanship.

More info on my profile and you can contact me if interested: besidetherainbows-at-gmail-dot-com

Life consists, not in holding good cards; but in playing those you do hold well.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:34   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

everyone runs aground so dont sweat the small stuff. find someone in a yacht club or on a dock to sail with ye a few times. isnt any big deal--is all goood---- keep going out and having fun--- take lunch and liquid refreshment--for occasional groundings-- can be a while to get self off the mud---- use boom to tip boat if ye havent time to wait....oops--if is a power boat-- have to just wait--take fishing gear to pass time..... gooodluck!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:54   #7

Boat: grampian 26

You didn't run aground. You were careening the hull to clean it. But seriously it is no big deal and you shouldn't be embarrassed unless you do it again in the same spot.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:16   #8

Each outing is a lesson. Charts, Charts , Charts.... That's the lesson you learned on this outing. Always be looking at the chart and always know where you are. If you dont have a GPS, plan to get one soon, but a hand bearing compass and a chart can work quite well to let you know where you are for coastal sailing. You'll get there!
Old 08-06-2011, 13:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheRainbow View Post
I will be based near Lymington, Hampshire with my daughter for most of July and August. I am a qualified and experienced sailor - powerboat knowledge is limited. But I do know loads about navigation and seamanship.

More info on my profile and you can contact me if interested: besidetherainbows-at-gmail-dot-com
I appreciate that - I hope to be at the boat most of July & August, so would be good to hook up.

My email is john dot curzon at airdri dot com
Old 08-06-2011, 18:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
John,

You have to look at from this point of view.
You are now an authority on that particular hazard-and in a position to advise us all.
You just hope that you don't become the local expert on too many of these locations.
While I'm a newbe, that's still just funny as hell.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:39   #11

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Don't feel bad. My first time out in a power boat I wiped out the lower unit on a shoal I just ran across a few hours earlier with plenty of water. (I failed to take into account an outgoing tide). The boat was so badly damaged, and an incoming storm, (remember I planned to be back by then), caused the water to be so rough sea tow refused to come out. I had to call the Coast Guard for rescue. (they did a great job, thanks).

If you and the boat made it back in one piece, pat yourself on the back and congradulate your self on keeping a cool head, and being able to refloat the boat without a salvage crew.

Since then I've learned keep rescue on speed dial. Just because you safely cross an area once doesn't mean you can do it twice. Shallows and grounding are common especially if the water looks like chocolate milk. Charts, GPS, depth finder, Radar,and a lookout on the bow with a 10' pole, will reduce, ....but not eliminate groundings.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Don't feel bad. My first time out in a power boat I wiped out the lower unit on a shoal I just ran across a few hours earlier with plenty of water. (I failed to take into account an outgoing tide). The boat was so badly damaged, and an incoming storm, (remember I planned to be back by then), caused the water to be so rough sea tow refused to come out. I had to call the Coast Guard for rescue. (they did a great job, thanks).

If you and the boat made it back in one piece, pat yourself on the back and congradulate your self on keeping a cool head, and being able to refloat the boat without a salvage crew.

Since then I've learned keep rescue on speed dial. Just because you safely cross an area once doesn't mean you can do it twice. Shallows and grounding are common especially if the water looks like chocolate milk. Charts, GPS, depth finder, Radar,and a lookout on the bow with a 10' pole, will reduce, ....but not eliminate groundings.
Thanks for that - I have all but a radar but I guess that will be added to the early Xmas wish-list. All I need beyond that are eyes in the back of my head and a sixth sense.... I wish!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:57   #13

Boat: Privilege 37

Running aground first time out is not unheard off (yes I did it as well!)

Provided damage is recoverable and no one is hurt, then it is just a learning experience that you will probably relate to others in 10 years or so! Port Solent is an up river trip that needs concentration, and a decent knowledge. There has been a good article including maps in either the YM or PBO last month.

Powerskipper (on www.ybw.com) is a great instructor and well worth a bit of time.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:36   #14

I totally agree about the concentration, a lesson I will be paying particular heed to in the future..,!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:41   #15

Boat: private yacht always moving

there are 2 types of captains,,,,,those that run aground and admit it and those that run aground and don't admit it

so you missed a turn,,no big deal,,,dont miss it again,,,happens to professional captains all the time,,in there case they blame the mate