Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 14:20   #1

Novice female looking for experience in Oahu

Posting this on behalf of my daughter.

21 year old female living in HI in the Island of Oahu looking to gain some sailing experience.

Does not matter the type of boat just the time on the water is what counts.

Willing to work hard to learn.

Any suggestions of what areas/marinas or sailing clubs she should check out to start?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2015, 15:18   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Novice female looking for experience in Oahu

Best of luck
Old 02-10-2015, 16:18   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmbnsf View Post
Posting this on behalf of my daughter.

21 year old female living in HI in the Island of Oahu looking to gain some sailing experience.

Does not matter the type of boat just the time on the water is what counts.

Willing to work hard to learn.

Any suggestions of what areas/marinas or sailing clubs she should check out to start?

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps your daughter will already have thought of this, but the yacht clubs have club races, and some of the skippers take on novice crew. You've got a nice, friendly smaller club at Kaneohe, and a larger one or two on the Honolulu side. Probably listed in the phone book.

Your daughter should be emotionally prepared for assertive males.

Ann
Old 02-10-2015, 16:26   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

These are the places I would go, post some "Crew Available" notices/cards, meet people, volunteer to work/crew.

Waikiki Yacht Club (Honolulu, hosts the Transpac in Hawaii)
Waikiki Yacht Club - Home

Hawaii Yacht Club (Honolulu)
https://www.facebook.com/hawaii.yachtclub

Kaneohe Bay Yacht Club
Home - Kaneohe Yacht Club

Ala wai Yacht Harbor

If it were my daughter, I would suggest she look for an "all woman" crew/boat to start.

Good luck to her!
Old 02-10-2015, 16:26   #5

Boat: Lord Nelson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmbnsf View Post
Posting this on behalf of my daughter. 21 year old female living in HI in the Island of Oahu looking to gain some sailing experience.
I would strongly recommend her taking some basic sailing courses through an American Sailing Association (ASA) or US Sailing school. These types of schools are set up to make sure that you don't miss any of the basics. By learning the basics from some average sailor, you run the risk of missing something or picking up bad habits early. I would say to take the basic classes, then look for individuals. Also, she'll meet classmates who she'll probably enjoy sailing with in the future.

Steve
Old 02-10-2015, 16:49   #6

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, we were looking at several of the yacht clubs in and around Honolulu. Was hoping for suggestions of best ones to contact, I'll look up posting to the sailing club links provided (thanks Ann and Steady Hand).

She will definitely be taking some sailing classes as well - good advice to maybe start there first so as to not pick up bad habits.

Daughter is traveling and will be out of internet range for a few weeks but I don't mind doing the leg work, trying to get our whole family ready for some live aboard cruising in a few years so the rest of us will have to get the same type of experience here in TX.

Thanks all again!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:05   #7

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Another fun option is to look up the Kokokahi Sailing Club on Kaneohe Bay. My brother sails from there. Lots of fun not too serious folks, lots of fun events.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:05   #8

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

My son lives on board our yacht in Honolulu. He just graduated from UH Manoa this Spring and was on the University's sailing team for a few years. He also teaches sailing out of the U's Sand Island facility. I would recommend that your daughter check into sailing instruction through UH. They sail 420's in Keehi Lagoon (good wind, flat water).
Old 03-10-2015, 13:09   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
If it were my daughter, I would suggest she look for an "all woman" crew/boat to start.
I second that opinion. A few days offshore, and having a 21 yo girl around a bunch of older men can lead to some very real problems. There is no law out there aside from the skipper. A big crew, with other girls would be recommended.
Old 03-10-2015, 15:32   #10

Boat: 1968 Sparkman and Stephens. '1 ton' 36 ft, Kauri
Send a message via Skype™ to Saltyrope

Hello, I have three daughters, ranging from 17 to 22 years and two of them have been travelling. I am always more comfortable when I know they are amongst a group of friends and participating in a properly registered and recognised activity. In New Zealand we have a well run 'Spirit of New Zealand' for instance however if looking for sailing boat sailing experience, going through a sailing club and finding appropriate families with similar aged offspring all heading out may be a 'safer' way to experience sailing. If any of my daughters have friends or if young women wish to come out sailing on our family yacht it is also far more comfortable for me to sail the boat while one of my daughters show their friend or associate, including boyfriends, 'the ropes'. They may be in their '20's but still have much to learn about the world so as parents many of us feel protective without inhibiting their freedom. All the best with a life on the water. Regards, John.
Old 04-10-2015, 20:18   #11

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I second that opinion. A few days offshore, and having a 21 yo girl around a bunch of older men can lead to some very real problems. There is no law out there aside from the skipper. A big crew, with other girls would be recommended.
So, older men that happen to be sailors turn into savages with a young lady aboard, ridiculous.
Old 04-10-2015, 20:40   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
So, older men that happen to be sailors turn into savages with a young lady aboard, ridiculous.
Life aboard a large off-shore vessel is not like that on your 26ft lake cruiser Tom Lewis!

Think Contiki x 3.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:09   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLewis View Post
I'm saying ridiculous things happen at sea, on a sailboat, after a week or two at sea. Once all the good food is gone, and the night watches are taking their toll. Savages might not be the right word, I would say...primal.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:28   #14

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I did a little survey on my last trip to Oahu. I didn't find much.

Hawaii Kai Boat Club - ...Where Fun Happens that meets inside "The Shack" 377 Keahole St C2 Honolulu, HI 96825 . I think on they meet Thursday evenings and have classes in the summer.
377 Keahole St C2 Honolulu, HI 96825. They have sailing programs for youth.

There is a Rowing club in Waianae, which has a few sailing Dinghy's tied up nearby. The woman watching the door of the club told me there is a group that runs classes out of there on weekends, but she had no other information to give me.

I also heard the Kaneohe marine base sailing center is offering classes to the public. but its just a rumor and I didn't find out any other info.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:44   #15

Boat: Skookum 53'

Jeez. I've been sailing around offshore most of my life and I have yet to witness this primal behavior. Now the whining does increase once the good food has been consumed, but the conduct has always been appropriate.

Tags
enc, novice, oahu