Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 13:21   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulJack
Newbie Looking to Join a Crew from US (WC) December + Some Advice, Please

Hi All,

21 year old Australian here, newbie to the past time of sailing, living on West Coast USA for the wine harvest.

I'm very keen on learning the ropes, maybe doing a few day sails around the bay area, then hopefully joining a crew on a longer voyage after my harvest is done in December.

Basically, I have no plans other than to keep the dream alive and the adventure moving. I want to learn some new skills and visit some strange lands and make a few friends. I am reasonably mechanically minded, learn things fast and can cook and clean proficiently.

If anyone knows of anything, hit me up! I'm keen to start talking to people and meeting some people in the community in real life!

I'm also trying to gauge what would be an appropriate amount to pay for a spot on a voyage. I have money to pay my way for food and drink and fuel, general voyage costs, but is it appropriate to be paying for upkeep of the boat etc? I had a figure put to me of $33 a day ($1000 a month).

Cheers guys and nice to meet you all,

Paul
steeledjs *at* gmail *dot* com
Old 09-09-2011, 13:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Newbie looking to join a crew from USA (WC) December + some advice?

on the crewseekers web site,owners are only allowed to ask for £10 a day towards food expenses,though $20/day is probably fairer.

since you are assisting a yacht on passage paying fuel should not be part of the deal
since the vessel would use the same amount of fuel regardless of you being on board.

since we anchor most of the time we would split the cost of a marina between us and the crew if the crew preferred to be in a marina.

Yacht crew agency, yacht crew vacancy, sailing crew from Crewseekers

has some useful advice on crewing,plus lots of oppotuneties.
Old 09-09-2011, 13:59   #3

Hey there Atoll,

Thanks for your advice. That's closer to the figure that I was anticipating, but I'll keep feeling things out and see whats out there I suppose.

Is the fee for crewseekers worth it? seems like a lot for a website membership..... I suppose if it connects you with a great adventure, its a bargain.... but I don't like gambling

Thanks again,

Paul
Old 09-09-2011, 14:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

would say its a good investment if you are planning on sailing long term and prepared to travel to join a boat,though we have taken many crew from notices at yacht clubs.

look at crewseekers as a global notice board,plus just looking is free.
Old 09-09-2011, 14:12   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

If you are any place around central California I think the Latitude 38 Crew List is a great (free) place to start:

Latitude 38 Crew List

I'm not headed anywhere this season, but have gotten good crew using it in the past. Your December time frame is pretty reasonable, but I suspect it will narrow your choices a little. Most west coast boats leave about November 1 when the hurricane season "ends" in the north Pacific. If you can get away that soon, the Latitude 38 Baja Ha-Ha is a huge rally down to Cabo San Lucas, and boats in it are always looking for crew (not my cup of tea, but...). Unfortunately you just missed their big crew list party, which is a great way to get connected amongst the cruisers headed south this season.

As for costs, you'll find the whole range out there, from people who might be willing to pay you a small amount (few such positions, and you will be expected to carry a pretty large load) to a fair percentage that want you to chip in for food, etc. and I think that $10-20/day would be in most ballparks. Then you will find a few who seemingly want you to finance their sailing. If you can sit back, relax, and be a passenger (and that's what you want to do - which is doesn't sound like is you) then it may be worth while, but you shouldn't have to pay someone to work on their boat, I think you'll be able to find a great ride without going to that expense.

For my part, we've always divided the costs by going to the market, provisioning the boat, and splitting the costs by the number of people. If you have very particular foods or very expensive tastes you buy those separately. Always seems to work out pretty fair for everyone, as long as everyone is upfront about what they want/need in the way of food (ramen vs. steak, etc.).

If you are in the Bay Area PM me and I'd be glad to chat a little.
Old 09-09-2011, 14:25   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
If you are any place around central California I think the Latitude 38 Crew List is a great (free) place to start:

Latitude 38 Crew List

I'm not headed anywhere this season, but have gotten good crew using it in the past. Your December time frame is pretty reasonable, but I suspect it will narrow your choices a little. Most west coast boats leave about November 1 when the hurricane season "ends" in the north Pacific. If you can get away that soon, the Latitude 38 Baja Ha-Ha is a huge rally down to Cabo San Lucas, and boats in it are always looking for crew (not my cup of tea, but...). Unfortunately you just missed their big crew list party, which is a great way to get connected amongst the cruisers headed south this season.

As for costs, you'll find the whole range out there, from people who might be willing to pay you a small amount (few such positions, and you will be expected to carry a pretty large load) to a fair percentage that want you to chip in for food, etc. and I think that $10-20/day would be in most ballparks. Then you will find a few who seemingly want you to finance their sailing. If you can sit back, relax, and be a passenger (and that's what you want to do - which is doesn't sound like is you) then it may be worth while, but you shouldn't have to pay someone to work on their boat, I think you'll be able to find a great ride without going to that expense.

For my part, we've always divided the costs by going to the market, provisioning the boat, and splitting the costs by the number of people. If you have very particular foods or very expensive tastes you buy those separately. Always seems to work out pretty fair for everyone, as long as everyone is upfront about what they want/need in the way of food (ramen vs. steak, etc.).

If you are in the Bay Area PM me and I'd be glad to chat a little.
ditto that if you plan on leaving from ca ,lat 38 is great but very usa centric,where as noonsite,and crewseekers tend to be a lot more international.
Old 09-09-2011, 14:39   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
lat 38 is great but very usa centric
Agreed, and also very Mexico bound centric as well. But if local it is a good place to get into the mix and also be able to meet people and boats face to face, give you an idea about what is out there.
Old 09-09-2011, 14:53   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Agreed, and also very Mexico bound centric as well. But if local it is a good place to get into the mix and also be able to meet people and boats face to face, give you an idea about what it out there.
i totally agree for getting that initial trip from the west coast,as very few non us or canadian yachts go there.
also cruisersforum for the west coast of usa

from panama,galapagos,tahiti onwards,
noonsite,cf,lat 38,crewseekers etc

look up "sy aquahabi" on face book,my mate just bought a boat and is sailing that way after nov
Old 09-09-2011, 14:59   #9

Thanks for the detailed advice, just what I was hoping for.

I've looked a little on Lat 38 and it looks great, I've emailed a couple people on there already, although I don't think it gets as many hits as this site does, maybe it'll pick up closer to November. I'll keep checking.

You're certainly right in thinking that I'm not interested in being an idle passenger on a voyage. I expect to work and learn, and work fairly hard but certainly wouldn't expect to be paid for my efforts as a complete beginner. I would consider it something of a mutually beneficial trade in work for skills and passage.

Seems like there is two categories of boats seeking crew; those who have their cruising plans and are eager to take people a long for a hand on the boat and company and those who seem to sail perpetually and are not independently funding the cost of boat upkeep but rather relying on contributions from crew to keep the boat in motion. I'm wondering if operating like that brings up any problems with insurance, tax or any legalities, since the passengers essentially become customers?

Unfortunately I don't think Harvest will be finished by November, and that last month is probably pretty lucrative and may be needed to fund my journey! However, the nature of the job is unpredictable and things often change fast, so don't be discouraged from sending me an email if your plans are a little earlier than my stated timeframe! Doesn't hurt to ask and I could probably move a few mountains for the right adventure :-)

Thanks again for the advice guys. Dsanduril, I think I'm in "nth bay area", I'm north of Santa Rosa anyhow. I'll probably take advantage of your offer of advice when I have something specific to ask.

Cheers,

Paul J
Old 09-09-2011, 15:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

look up "sy aquahabi" on face book,my mate just bought a boat and is sailing that way after nov
done but no results? link?
Old 09-09-2011, 15:10   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJack View Post
done but no results? link?
sorry wrong spelling SV Ahquabi

try my mate clive as well he is leaving from panama
http://www.nuthin-wong.blogspot.com/
Old 09-09-2011, 15:14   #12

Cheers, I reached out to them

Tags
crew