Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 07:45   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII, 2004
New York to the Med - round 2

Hi Everyone

I started planning this passage in January & through Cruiser's Forum found two great crew.
Unfortunately neither of them can make it now & I am month out from setting off from Charleston, SC to NY.
So I am casting my net again in the hope of finding crew again.
My name is Trish, I am 56, Australian & have a two cabin, 2004 Catalina 42 sloop & she is very well equipped for 'blue water' sailing. She has a fridge, freezer, two bathrooms, water maker, SSB, AIS, you name it, she's pretty much got it all.
My timeline is to leave SC as soon as I can with crew in May. It seems a very sexy idea to sail passed the Statue of Liberty & I would love to enjoy Fleet Week in NY, spend some time enjoying the Big A from the water before heading up the East River to Long Island Sound, Newport, Martha's & Nantucket which would be the staging point for the passage to the Azores. I estimate the trip to the Azores will be 28 days. Two weeks R&R there & then onto Gibraltar & into Southern Spain. I plan to spend two to three seasons in the Med so there's no need for my crew to jump off straight away & not enjoy the spoils of our destination.
There's is a contribution to food & fuel, visa & boat entry if any. You'll need to have a passport with 12 on it before renewal, no criminal history & we won't be taking pets, drug or weapons.
If you've got some sea miles under under your belt, are easy going, have some handy skills, I would love to hear from you.
I know this is all the eleventh hour & I considered postponing until next year, but here's the thing, I really want to make this passage this year & if I can get a couple of talented, responsible & happy crew, why not!
Thanks
Trish
s/v Terra Australis II
Old 09-04-2013, 00:21   #2

Re: New York to the Med - round 2

Hi Trish,
Interested in your plans, am a 66 years young with little sailing experience. Nearly completed refit of house in UK now looking to live life as no commitments or time frames to consider.
look forward to hearing from you. Mike
Old 09-04-2013, 06:20   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

Personally I would not go offshore with someone who says their boat has 2 "bathrooms"!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:05   #4

Boat: Farr 50

Trish - Don't worry, my boat has 3 "bathrooms" and I made it with no trouble. Anyway, don't give up yet... I needed a last minute crew member last year after racing to Bermuda. I found a good guy on www.sailopo.com for the run to Azores very last minute. Hank at OPO is good at finding crew as needed.... Best of luck and maybe we'll cross paths this June. In Greece now and will be headed back to Annapolis in June... John
Old 09-04-2013, 17:08   #5

My name is Marvin Brinn. I am Very interested live in s.c.
I have been sailing since 75 and have about 5000 offshore miles to boast about all up and down the east coast
I have sailed out of Charleston a few times
ny to chas
belize to ri last may
am leaving this april 20 from fla to nyc
let me know if there is interest I am at 864-735-6903
Pretty entertaining guy as well
Old 10-04-2013, 21:29   #6

hi my name is captain Gabriel Cordero currently in miami fl got many deliveries accomplished! got many years of experience racing and crew also am a rigger and exelent cook! available ASAP! i will love to help you doing your trip thanks!

captain Gabriel!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:52   #7

Hi Gabriel
Thank you for responding to my call for crew but I am not looking for paid crew. Crew will need to contribute US$200 a week to food & boat costs. If I'm mistaken & you are interested in joining me on this adventure, I'd love to hear back from you.
Thanks
Trish
Old 11-04-2013, 15:06   #8

Hi Trish,
Name is John. Easygoing, experienced. Have made the trip from Charleston toe Newport. Went into New York Harbor, up the East River to Long Island Sound and on to New Port. Latest Trip From Puerto Rico To the Turks. Got caught in a gale. Ended up back in Puerto Rico. It was a good experience and a Great adventure. Am retired with no constraints. email johntowles@hotmail.com
Old 12-04-2013, 14:27   #9

Hi Trish,My name is Greg I'm 61 yrs. old retired and have wanted to sail the Atlantic most of my life. I now have the time and a few coins in my pocket and would love to crew on this trip.The fact that your also doing the Med is a cool bonus .Hope to hear from you. Greg
Old 12-04-2013, 14:32   #10

Hi Greg
Thank you for contacting me. I'd like to know about your sailing experience, where you are & how I can contact you.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Trish
Old 05-05-2013, 11:41   #11

Have you left yet? I might possibly be interested in this trip
Old 15-05-2013, 01:37   #12

Boat: shipman 28

hi
im a sailor with about 4000 nm experience, most solo sailing and with only "1 bathroom". I don't have a licence tho, but great attitude and good spirit. Let me know if u interested.

Kind regards

Marco
Old 16-05-2013, 14:44   #13

Hi Trish. Sounds like just the adventure I have been looking for!
I have massive offshore experience, am fun to have around and the financial contribution is no problem.
I could not join the boat until early to mid July......where will you be then?
Old 16-05-2013, 14:50   #14

Hi Sailingnomad

I would like to leave Charleston around the end of June. That means I would be in New York by then.
Can you tell me about yourself, your experience, skill set & everything else for that matter.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Trish
Old 16-05-2013, 15:38   #15

Trish.... I sent to. Private message.