Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 09:39   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35'
Need Sea Time

I’ve recently retired from the work-a-day world and am actively seeking a boat upon which to spend my (golden, declining, drooling; pick one) years. I’ve done a considerable amount of reading and web-based research, but have found it difficult to get hands-on experience with boats which fit my perceived requirements. The FPs, Swans and Calibers on which I’ve served as delivery crew are either outside my price range or are too large and complicated for my needs. Seems like the next logical step in the process is to get out there and get my hands dirty.
I’m looking for an opportunity to spend time aboard a variety of sturdy, sea-kindly, offshore capable boats around 36 feet LOA such as the Wauquiez Pretorien, Hood 38, CS36T and Islander 36. I’m available for a week to a month anywhere (warm!) in North America or the Caribbean until mid-April 2013, when I’ll begin a RYA yachtmaster class overseas. I can cover my own expenses and am more than willing to assist with maintenance, upgrades and boat repairs as these, too, are part boat ownership. I'll go up the mast or scrape barnacles but may balk at unclogging your head or grinding extensive amounts of fiberglass; one has to draw the line somewhere!

I’m mature, responsible and decidedly low maintenance. I’ve completed the basic US Sailing courses through bareboat chartering and have done quite a bit of day-sailing and a couple of Caribbean charters in addition to my delivery crew experience. I’m SCUBA qualified, hold a certificate in basic life support and am a passable cook. I’ll bring my own personal equipment, along with a good attitude.

If this sounds like a fit for anyone, feel free to PM me or send an email to capetinho {at} yahoo {dot} com. Thanks in advance.
Old 15-02-2013, 10:33   #2

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Re: Need Sea Time

hi i have a friend that is in martinique on his 43ft yacht. he hopes to return to brittany around 20th march this year but can't find anyone to help him. he is a handicap as he has a bad leg and diabetis but very tough and healthy otherwise. he did the trip out to the carabean to take school supplies and cloths to the poorer people to help them which may tell you what sort of person he is. I have known him for 10 years and a better person i have yet to meet. unfortunatly he only has his pension and can't afford to pay anyone to help. if you are interested in helping him could you please contact me on my personal message page. many thanks pete
Old 06-03-2013, 13:07   #3

Hope we can be what you are looking for. We are a retired couple on our 36' Islander, needing an extra person to continue south from Puerto Morelos, MX (just south of Cancun). Our destination is the Rio Dulce river in Guatemala. will have more info upon a reply. Thanks Jack
Old 06-03-2013, 14:01   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35'

Thanks to all who replied to my post. Just finalized details on a boat headed north from St. Lucia in about a week. Also a big thumbs up to the site admins for providing this valuable resource.