Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2013, 00:30   #1

Need crew Plymouth MA to Providence RI

I bought a boat last winter, an S2 9.2A, 30' sloop. Due to delays in launching and repairs, friends I had planned to sail with can't make it. I'd like to leave next Friday or Saturday as conditions are mostly favorable and the PO is lending me his mooring there, which he'll need soon. But can wait a week if necessary.

I'm willing to pay someone to deliver if a reasonable fee, and who could give me some pointers along the way. I have limited experience day cruising in Narragansett Bay, but need someone with more experience for this trip--or two.

Hoping to leave in the afternoon for East end of canal from Plymouth, spending night in Sandwich, then catching west current through to Buzzard's bay, then Newport, up to Providence, sailing, motoring or both.

Anyone interested, even with limited experience, please let me know. I'm 51,
easy to get along with, and love to sail. Can arrange for ride back to your home or vehicle.

Thanks for any help or contacts.

JIvories. (Jonathan)

jwalsh(at)wheatoncollege(dot)edu
Old 21-05-2013, 02:33   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Need crew Plymouth MA to Providence RI

I am possibly available and have made this trip before.
Old 21-05-2013, 04:55   #3

Thanks Paul, I did find a crew for the trip.

Regards, J
Old 21-05-2013, 19:46   #4

Boat: 19' Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIvories View Post
I bought a boat last winter, an S2 9.2A, 30' sloop. Due to delays in launching and repairs, friends I had planned to sail with can't make it. I'd like to leave next Friday or Saturday as conditions are mostly favorable and the PO is lending me his mooring there, which he'll need soon. But can wait a week if necessary.

I'm willing to pay someone to deliver if a reasonable fee, and who could give me some pointers along the way. I have limited experience day cruising in Narragansett Bay, but need someone with more experience for this trip--or two.

Hoping to leave in the afternoon for East end of canal from Plymouth, spending night in Sandwich, then catching west current through to Buzzard's bay, then Newport, up to Providence, sailing, motoring or both.

Anyone interested, even with limited experience, please let me know. I'm 51,
easy to get along with, and love to sail. Can arrange for ride back to your home or vehicle.

Thanks for any help or contacts.

JIvories. (Jonathan)

jwalsh(at)wheatoncollege(dot)edu

Hey Johnathan,

Be careful at the west end of the canal and in Buzzards Bay. Nasty chop in May.
Old 21-05-2013, 19:59   #5

The chop referred to is a mile-long series of standing waves established when an outgoing current at the west end meets the prevailing southwest wind. Wind against current is a situation to be wary of wherever it occurs, not just here. Just dont be too greedy about getting the most out of a favorable current but rather arrive at the west end near the slack and the conditions will be much smoother. If the breeze is light or easterly you can take the full tide ride!
Old 21-05-2013, 20:23   #6

Boat: 19' Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
The chop referred to is a mile-long series of standing waves established when an outgoing current at the west end meets the prevailing southwest wind. Wind against current is a situation to be wary of wherever it occurs, not just here. Just dont be too greedy about getting the most out of a favorable current but rather arrive at the west end near the slack and the conditions will be much smoother. If the breeze is light or easterly you can take the full tide ride!
Yeah, I agree with that summary, however, the Sou'westahly in Buzzards Bay kicks up a consistent chop all the way up the Bay from the canal and it, in and of itself can be very nasty and potentially dangerous.

Tags
crew