Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2016, 00:51   #1

Need 1 way to Hawaii, Please help

Hi my name is Ceila and I am looking to transfer to the University of Hawaii-(most likely, Hilo). However, I do not like planes and am traveling with my cat (he cannot be left alone on a plane for 13+ hours in cargo, it just ridiculous there are no adequate commercial transportation). I am looking to take a ship with my cat to move to Hawaii in either January or February.
I have no cruise or sailing experience, however I am willing to learn and work for free, obviously, if there is anyone willing to allow me and my beautiful furry friend to aboard their adventure to Hawaii. ☀️
I have worked multiple jobs in the past, so I'm not completely useless.
I would appreciate any comments, direction, or help with this matter, as I truly would like to transfer to Hawaii for my education, however standard transportation is not an option.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I seriously appreciate it.
Old 18-08-2016, 03:44   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Need 1 way to Hawaii, Please help

Hi, Ceila.

I can't help you get to Hawaii, but I can tell you that your cat won't have to ride in the cargo hold if you end up flying.

Buy an appropriately sized soft-sided pet carrier and you can bring it on board with you. You'll have to stash it under the seat in front of you for take-off and landing, but you can keep in in your lap during flight. I've done this several times. The airline charged me $100 for the cat. You need to make a reservation, and they limit the number of pets that are allowed in the cabin, so do it early.
Old 18-08-2016, 07:36   #3

Thank you for letting me know, I had no idea! I am however, absolutely terrified to fly, Unfortunetly. I worry this will stop me from transferring.
Old 18-08-2016, 09:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeilaS View Post
Hi my name is Ceila and I am looking to transfer to the University of Hawaii-(most likely, Hilo). However, I do not like planes and am traveling with my cat (he cannot be left alone on a plane for 13+ hours in cargo, it just ridiculous there are no adequate commercial transportation). I am looking to take a ship with my cat to move to Hawaii in either January or February.
I have no cruise or sailing experience, however I am willing to learn and work for free, obviously, if there is anyone willing to allow me and my beautiful furry friend to aboard their adventure to Hawaii. ☀️
I would appreciate any comments, direction, or help with this matter, as I truly would like to transfer to Hawaii for my education, however standard transportation is not an option.

You might want to check Hawaiian quarantine laws.
Animal Industry Division | Animal Quarantine Information Page
Old 18-08-2016, 09:34   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Thank you for letting me know, I had no idea! I am however, absolutely terrified to fly, Unfortunetly. I worry this will stop me from transferring.
If you're afraid of flying, I fear the crossing on a small boat would be worse.
You are aware that this forum is for/about sailing on vessels primarly in the 30-50' range?
That crossing is roughly 2-4 weeks weather dependent, unless all out racing.
Old 18-08-2016, 11:03   #6

I am well aware as to what this site is, hence why I posted what I did. I am also aware of the quarantine laws, as I own an animal.
Old 18-08-2016, 11:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
If you're afraid of flying, I fear the crossing on a small boat would be worse.
You are aware that this forum is for/about sailing on vessels primarly in the 30-50' range?
That crossing is roughly 2-4 weeks weather dependent, unless all out racing.

Please do not asses which transportation I would find more fearful, as I am far more comfortable traveling by sea than air, thank you.
Old 18-08-2016, 12:32   #8

Boat: Able 50

Even though you have never done it ? Er . . . . .Okayyyyyy
Old 18-08-2016, 12:58   #9

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Sorry Ceila, A newbee with an irrational fear of flying, a cat (and I like cats) that sheds and may get seasick and presumably someplace on the boat for said cat to go potty, isn't something I imagine too many people are going to be knocking down your door to have on a passage for two or three weeks. Adequate commercial transportation? You mean like something that can travel 2100+ miles in 5 hours? Get a carrier, take an Ambien and gut it out.
Old 18-08-2016, 13:22   #10

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Sorry Ceila, A newbee with an irrational fear of flying, a cat (and I like cats) that sheds and may get seasick and presumably someplace on the boat for said cat to go potty, isn't something I imagine too many people are going to be knocking down your door to have on a passage for two or three weeks. Adequate commercial transportation? You mean like something that can travel 2100+ miles in 5 hours? Get a carrier, take an Ambien and gut it out.
+1 For a skipper about to cross an ocean, you and your cat present a lot of unknowns with no upside, only difficulties and liability. They certainly wouldn't take you on for free.
Old 18-08-2016, 13:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Even though you have never done it ? Er . . . . .Okayyyyyy
Do you know how to read or... I myself clearly have not sailed a ship, as stated. I, however, have been on a ship multiple times, hence knowing what transportation I prefer.
Old 18-08-2016, 13:28   #12

Quote:

I encourage everyone to become literate or please do not respond.
Old 18-08-2016, 13:44   #13

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Do you know how to read or... I myself clearly have not sailed a ship, as stated. I, however, have been on a ship multiple times, hence knowing what transportation I prefer.

Ceila, Wow, that's the kind of behavior I'd want aboard for three weeks...You're not scoring any points by having an attitude. BTW, being on a 40' sailboat, 10 days out of LA or SF isn't anywhere close to anything you've experienced on a ship. Also, the cost of proper foul weather and personal safety gear will cost you $$.
Old 18-08-2016, 13:46   #14

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
I encourage everyone to become literate or please do not respond.
Oi, snarky and looking for free passage. lol This is going to be good.
Old 18-08-2016, 13:46   #15

Hi - if I may make a couple suggestions:

Provide specifics re what sort of accommodations you'll need. Since you're moving - are you packing your life? How big is your cat? How much food does it eat? How much litter does it need? How big is the litter box? Has it traveled before?

Finally - you're looking to find someone planning a passage to invite you aboard. The sass isn't going to be inviting.

Tags
hawaii, lease