Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 13:08   #1

Boat: Najad 34. 1979
Miami to Newfoundland in April/May/Juni 2014

We are looking for one or two persons to join our trip from Miami up to St. John's in Newfoundland. We are currently in the Caribbean and are planning to arrive in Miami in the middle of april.

We are looking for crew that will join us for a few days or more. A little experience is welcomed but not necessary.

We are two norwegians (27 y.o.) on a 34 feet Najad and we are doing an around the Atlantic trip that will end in the end of July in Norway. Our boat is made for and equipped for water sailing">blue water sailing. List of equipment is given if requested.

From Miami our plan is to go partly inside the Inland Coastal Waterways up to New York. We plan to use a week or so in NY in mid may before we sail up the coast to Halifax and then Newfoundland.

If we don't reply imdediatly we are out sailing or snorkling or flying the spinnaker.

Golden Orchid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7841.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	77454  
Old 12-03-2014, 14:20   #2

Re: Miami to Newfoundland in April/May/Juni 2014

Hi! I'm an American Woman, mid-thirties and I've owned two liveaboards... I'd love to join for this trip, and can be in Miami anytime. I like boat-work, spinnaker sailing and I don't get seasick much! Oh, and I've done the ICW from Jacksonville, Florida to Charleston, SC. It's beautiful but super shoal. Feel free to PM me if you guys would like to chat more
Old 15-03-2014, 18:33   #3

Hi, I am a woman, early thirties. I'm a novice sailor (sailed small freshwater keel boats only) and looking to learn more about blue water sailing. I'm social, love laughter, and willing to learn everything I can. I'm mechanically inclined and industrious ; I can cook, keep watch, and I love meeting new people. I currently live in New England, and would be interested in joining your trip from NY to Newfoundland. Feel free to PM me or email donnellefoushee@gmail.com. Cheers!
Old 17-03-2014, 20:48   #4

Hi
Love to join you for a part of this trip.
I very done New Jersey to Fla so this would be the reverse
Suggest you stay outside till Buefort NC then duck into the ICW
Till Norfork VA you will avoid Cape Hatteras and see some really beautiful
Scenery in the lowlands of NC. Don,t think I can do the whole trip
Because of your time line but would love to join up with you in New York for the remainder of the trip.
I've lived and worked in NY for 30 years so I could guide you around the city
As a bonus. Heck even if the sailing doesn't work out I'll still guide you around
The city I Love (hate sometimes too)
Old 06-04-2014, 18:59   #5

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

I'd be interested in the final leg(s) of this, boarding say at Long Island or Boston/Cap Cod onward to St. John. I will PM with my CV and other autobiographical info. I have lived both in Portland, Maine & further North in the Penobscot Bay area, for twenty years total. So understandably, I have both a fondness and familiarity with the coast of Maine. Portland, ME is definitely worth putting into - one of the nicest harbor city's in the US. But I don't know if you'd be bypassing the Gulf of Maine and going the more direct route, as Maine is a bit of a Northward detour, but worth it (IMHO). So let me know your thoughts on schedule and waypoints. I'd be interested regardless of the chosen route and I'm planning to be there in June anyway. I was the owner & skipper of a 37' Endeavor, in New England in years past, so I have suitable (albeit rusty) skills. I am mostly done with the coursework portion of my Skipper and BBC certification courses, but need to add more recent blue water days, which is a good match for your trip. Again, I don't want to go into great detail here, as I'll PM with my CV detail shortly.
Best Regards
John Andrews
Old 07-04-2014, 04:09   #6

Hello,

I'm a 23 year old male, Just finished up a degree in engineering and am looking to build some offshore miles sailing. I have some experience but am looking to learn a lot more. I'm very interested in joining you for some of this trip. I am getting an SCTW95 certification in may and would love to meet the boat and join you some time after that. If you could get back to me with a timetable I could get more specific. Looking forward to hearing from you.

-Quinn
Old 07-04-2014, 19:47   #7

Hello,

I would love to join you for part of this trip from New York City to Maine. I learned to sail years ago on a Cal 40 but my sailing time since then has been in small boats under 20' LOA. I have a good amount of experience in those. Please get back to me if you're interested.

David
Old 08-04-2014, 07:05   #8
dbw

i am interested and available
will send PM
Dave
Old 08-04-2014, 08:56   #9

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

Hi -

Just a word of precaution, it is still pretty cold around Nova Scotia and Newfoundland in April --> June, so be sure you take WARM clothes!

It is also FOGGY, so be sure you have good weather gear">foul weather gear.

And last but not least, depending on how the season went, there will probably be a LOT of icebergs still in the area. Actually the bergie-bits (I use to call them "volkswagons" because the wind and seas would round them down so they looked like the roof of a VW bug) are very bad news and can easily hole a yacht or ship and can be very hard to detect - so be careful!

Newfoundland is very rugged and very beautiful, especially in late summer, and the people are extremely nice and friendly! Doesn't get much better than that.

Tags
miami, newfoundland