Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 06:42   #1

Miami to Exumas, June 2014

1-3 crew wanted

Miami -> Nassau, Bahamas -> Georgetown, Exumas, Bahamas, June 1 - June 15
Georgetown -> Nassau -> Miami, July 1 - July 15
Travel dates somewhat flexible

Sailing aboard an Island Packet 420

This would be a nice trip for an individual, couple or small group who has some basic sailing experience and who would like to learn more about cruising sailboats and the cruising lifestyle. It is anticipated that there will only be one night sail (crossing the Bahama banks). The remaining legs are expected to be pleasant day sails. The emphasis will be on having an enjoyable and relaxing time. If the weather doesn’t look good, we won’t sail.

From Miami, the plan is to cross over to Bimini, then across the Bahama banks to Nassau. From Nassau we will sail to Highborne Cay at the northern tip of the Exumas, and work our way down the Exuma chain, with stops in the Exuma Cays Land and Sea Park and at Staniel Cay, ending in Elizabeth Harbour. If there is no interest in Nassau, we may skip it. Total trip length is about 375 nm (one way).

Expectations of crew: Non-smoking, with basic sailing experience. You will share equally in watches, preparation of meals and clean-up, and you will be expected to spend one hour per day on boat chores. You will share equally in the expense of provisioning. You will be responsible for personal travel expenses, such as air fares to/from Georgetown (GGT) or Nassau (NAS), and you will be responsible for any other personal expenses, such as dining on shore.

About the captain: I am 50 years old, with 15+ years of sailing experience. Computer science Ph.D. I’ve sailed to the Bahamas several times previously. In general I would be described as quiet and easy-going, although I am fairly particular when it comes to the operation and maintenance of the boat. I take pride in keeping the boat well maintained. I don’t smoke and rarely drink (never on passages). I will pay for fuel and dockage.

About the boat: Amenities include wifi, TV, DVD player, stereo, microwave, refrigerator/freezer, A/C. Safety equipment includes life raft, EPIRB, and sat phone.

Note that there is a small but non-negligible possibility of severe weather, as this trip will overlap with the beginning of hurricane season. If this appears likely, we will take appropriate precautions.

If you would be interested in joining me for any portion of this trip, please contact me and provide a description of yourself and your prior sailing experience.

Email exumasail2014 at gmail dot com
Old 22-06-2014, 18:02   #2

Re: Miami to Exumas, June 2014

If your trip was somehow delayed and are still looking for crew let me know. I also sent you an email, thanks.

Tags
exumas, miami