Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 03:08   #16

Boat: 74 Cal Jensen 2-29, 29 feet, Summer Magic
Au to MX

Hello my name is Brandon,
I am a clean cut, college educated, male from San Diego, CA U.S.A. seeking blue water experience and adventure. This sounded like it might be a very interesting opportunity. Sailing around the world has been a dream of mine since I was young this would be a great start. I had sailboat wallpaper in my room as a kid. Maybe that has something to do with it. I spoke with Zac Sunderland at length during this month’s Boat and Yacht show here in San Diego. He is the 17 year who circumnavigated the world solo. His little sister is the one who was in the news after her mast snapped in a storm.
Let me tell you a bit about myself and my boating experience. I’d consider myself to be very mechanically inclined and have almost completely overhauled my own 29 foot Cal Jensen 2-29 sailboat. I am excellent with carpentry, fiberglass repair, wiring and mechanical issues as well as many other sailing related skills. I speak, read, and write in Spanish as well as English. Advanced first aid and CPR experience are also skills I possess, although none of my certifications are current. As a boy scout, I learned to navigate using a compass and do so regularly during foggy days and nights here in San Diego. My map and chart reading skills are excellent. I am extremely tidy and well organized. I’m living aboard my little Cal 29, so I am familiar with life aboard a boat and having limited space. I work with a Non-Profit organization called Challenge America that provides adapted sailing instruction to the physically challenged and disabled. Many are returning veterans of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that came back missing a limb and in some cases two or more.
At six feet three inches tall 185lbs I am in good health and strong. ... I have little blue water experience on a sailboat. I have helped pilot a 60 foot motor yacht to Cabo San Lucas and back once about five years ago. Lately I have been sailing offshore AT LEAST 20 miles weekly. I make regular 40 mile trips to the Coronado Islands and back even during small boat advisories and in nasty weather. I am out by myself in six foot swells quite often. This week I sailed somewhere around 80 miles or so after two days out in the bay with friends and a solo fishing trip down to the islands and back. Some more info about the boat would be great. Also a route, list of ports, and an approximate time line would be helpful (I know all dates and times are approx. and depend on wind, conditions, storms etc). I have a current Passport and am only a hundred miles from the Sea of Cortez. I can get a ride to the marina (in San Felipe) from a friend if that is where you are starting from. If you are further South, I will make other arrangements to meet you.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:32   #17

Very interested couple!

Hi Tony!

My boyfriend and I are very interested, this is our exact time frame. We're both very laid back street artists and are set on spending December through at least April sailing and living on a farm abroad. Please contact me Via PM if you are still looking.

Thanks,

Pia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis View Post
Hi.
I have a Formosa 41, well equiped (boat has done 2 circumnavigations already) and intend sailing it from Mexico (Sea of Cortez) to Australia (probably Brisbane) from December onwards (weather dependant). Maybe 1 or 2 stops only as short of time.

Would prefer a couple but will look at indivduals. Pay for your own air tickets and say $30 week for basic food.

Anyone interested PM me.

Tony

Tags
Australia, Mexico