Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 11:09   #1

Boat: Union Polaris cutter, 36'
Mexico - End of January

Hi, thanks for your interest. I'll give you some background on the boat and situation. My Father has had the boat for about 16 yrs and finally committed to head south to Panama from Bodega Bay about a year and a half ago. While anchored in Puerto Madero in June he had a stroke and passed away. The ministerio in Chiapas immediately secured the boat. They work fairly slow and have just now completed the paperwork to release it to me. I had intended on going down mid Feb. but they want me there sooner so the friend that had planned to sail back with me wont be able to make it.
The electronics on the boat are somewhat limited. My dad replaced the mast a few years back and never got a long enough line to run to the radar so it is not functional, his autopilot is tied to the radar so it also is out. The engine is a relatively new yanmar diesel, probably less than 1000 hrs so it shouldn't give us any trouble and I believe he had replaced a sail or 2 before he left. I was only down there once since he passed and didn't get much time to look it over but he had sailed it that far, single handed for much of the trip, so I am sure she is safe and seaworthy.

I am looking for one or two people to sail back to Baja, possibly San Diego with me. Or even for just for a leg or two of the trip to help with watch and share expenses. I would want references, mostly so I know that you are not a flake or hothead (no offence, a boat can get awful small in a hurry if someone is losing it). I also have a zero tolerance policy on drug use, I like to have a couple of beers or glasses of wine but wont allow anything illegal near the boat. I don't mind giving references myself. I have three close professional friends ( a navy warrant officer, county sheriff, and college professor ) who will vouch for my sanity and level headedness.
I do not have deep pockets and will be sailing on a very limited budget and am in a hurry to get up the coast and back to my kids so I hope to push fairly hard and make it back in about a month but the weather will dictate the schedule. I do not have my plane ticket yet but think I will be starting out in the third week of January. If this trip is something that you would be interested in or you have more questions I can answer please let me know.
Thanks, Danny Peterson Jr

Old 06-01-2011, 15:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
I might be up for this trip. I was in the Navy 20 years ago but need to brush up on my skills and get my sea legs back. I'm fit, healthy, and a young at heart 42 YO. I'm financially secure, a great cook, do not smoke or do drugs, drink socially just like you describe but not excessively, am a great fisherman with a large compliment of gear and am pretty handy. I'm also very reliable and trust worthy with references. PM me if interested.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:55   #3

I've done this before and have references. Email me to talk more.
laubmayer@yahoo.com
Ken
Old 11-01-2011, 21:20   #4

Boat: Colin Archer - Pilot Cutter for Christian Nielsen, Ula. 1894. 38ft
I haven't done this trip before, but I'm available - with references. miles <at> briarputty <dot> com
Old 25-01-2011, 06:15   #5

Boat: Not mine, just crew.
I'm interested if the position is still open. End destination in WA?
Over 50 F, no smoke/drink/drug/light swearing if hitting knee. Yes to passport, cook, snore, sail---most experience with day races.
blueskyzjonesy at hotmail