Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 17:44   #1

Boat: Piver AA41
May 2014-Newport, Oregon to South Pacific via Hilo, HI

Middle-aged couple and dog seeking either a couple, or a single male to help with wheel watches on passage from Western US (Newport, OR or Drake's Bay, CA) to Hilo, Hawaii and onward to American Samoa. Looking to depart in May, depending on weather.

Sailing experience is a plus, as is general mechanical handiness. Passport required. Not a paid position, but travel expenses can be covered. Please PM me if you would like more info.

The vessel is 41' Trimaran sailboat.
Old 28-02-2014, 07:16   #2

Re: May 2014-Newport, Oregon to South Pacific via Hilo, HI

Hello, I'm interested in your crew offer, but for some reason the forum won't let me send PM because I'm new here. Please send me the additonal info at f.carp21 (AT) gmail dot com. I will send you my CV.

Thanks,
Franky
Old 02-03-2014, 13:57   #3

I have sailing experience as skipper of my own monohull and crew for others on race boats. I've sailed most of the west coast from San Juan Islands, part way to the Queen Charlotte Islands, to Cabo San Lucas, up the Baja to Mulege then back to Cabo and to Kauai, HI. That was in 1979 and triple handed. I was sailor of the year HI island of Kauai 1982. I've sailed all the Hawaiian Islands and returned to Coos Bay after living in HI for 8 years. The return sail was double handed. We sold our boat in 1989 and the only sailing I've done since has been as crew on race boats. I have very little experience on multihulls. I taught myself celestial navigation while sailing to Cabo but would need a lot of refreshing to come up to speed. I consider my best attribute to be sail trim.

I've been a freelance writer, photographer and, according to one of my editors, “a very elementary” sketch artist since 1982. I've written for many major newspapers including the Honolulu Advertiser, Portland Oregonian, Eugene-Regiser Guard and papers all over the southwest. I've also written for Latitude 38 and other magazines. I've written a weekly column for the News Media Group for the past 17+ years and it's published in Deming and Las Cruces, NM. I also write and do photography for various internet publishers, Yahoo, Ezine articles, Hub Pages and for my own websites. You can do an internet search using Larry R. Miller author to verify who I am.

I'd like to do some sailing, write about it, take some photos and do some sketches with the idea of selling them to publishers and posting them on the internet, including my websites. But, my available time comes in short bursts. If you can use a crew member from Newport to Drake's Bay, Drake's Bay to Hilo. I'd love to sail from Hilo to American Samoa but wouldn't want to make any promises at this time. If any of this will work for you, I'd love to talk to you.

I'll be 74 in April but that shouldn't bother anyone. I real age test in my 40's, most people guess my age somewhere in the 50's and feel in my 30's.

I'll be in Salem, OR from the 25th of March until the 1st of April and would be able to come visit to see if I would fill a crew spot.

I've sailed into Newport more than once. In 1978, we were stuck in Newport for five days over Labor Day because of a bad storm.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely, Larry R. Miller
Old 02-03-2014, 18:28   #4

Boat: Piver AA41

Hello all!

The response to our posting has been tremendous! We had no idea there were so many very qualified men and women available to crew.
We have, we hope, found a crew who will be coming out to spend some time with us to meet/greet/inspect etc in late April early May. So, we will conclude our search at this time. Thank you for your interest in our journey! Best to you on yours.

It's been great to meet you all who have the same interests. Feel free to contact us at happytravelers (at) outlook (dot) com
Old 03-03-2014, 11:20   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriandTriagain View Post
Hello all!

The response to our posting has been tremendous! We had no idea there were so many very qualified men and women available to crew.
We have, we hope, found a crew who will be coming out to spend some time with us to meet/greet/inspect etc in late April early May. So, we will conclude our search at this time. Thank you for your interest in our journey! Best to you on yours.

It's been great to meet you all who have the same interests. Feel free to contact us at happytravelers (at) outlook (dot) com
Well, I really am sorry I missed this recruitment notice. All the best to you and send me a message when you get here in Hilo.
kind regards,

Tags
newport, oregon, south pacific