Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 18:47   #1

May '15 Atlantic Crossing or similar

Hi There,
As an Antarctic and climbing guide/instructor (25 years), I bring a lot to a crew;
below is my sailing CV. I am looking for an Atlantic crossing for May, but could be interested in just about any serious sailing in May with the right skipper/crew.

I am more interested in finding the right skipper/crew than in exactly where we go, and for that I am willing to consider flying wherever reasonably necessary. I am seeking a skipper who truly enjoys and knows how to coach others, not someone who prefers to show off their skills and knowledge. I am looking for a skipper/crew that appreciates the finer points of sailing well; someone with a similar sense of risk management… and a light-hearted approach.

Non-smoking, no drugs; do not want to be around those who do. I drink in moderation. I am in a committed relationship and distinctly not interested in anything more than friendship.

I am playful, motivated, and have a positive, upbeat attitude; send me a message and tell me about yourself, your plans, your boat. Fair Winds!

Summary:
Bareboat charterer (sloops): 5 week-long coastal cruises with one or two other people
RYA Day Skipper Course, Tasman Bay, NZ Feb 2013 (reference from instructor available)
Long-time certified professional year-round technical mountaineering guide (1999-current)
Long-time outdoor educator (and staff trainer) for climbing (rock, mtneering, ice), backcountry skiing, arctic, and desert expeditions (1989-2000)
Field trainer and guide for scientists in Antarctica (since 2003)
Naturalist and a highly motivated student (life-long)
Mountain Search and Rescue professional (current since 2003)
Wilderness First Responder (certified since 1991)

Sailing Experience:
First mate: Bareboat charter of Carpenter 29, with one other person, Queen Charlotte Sound, 6-days, March 2013
Competent Crew on Halsberg-Rassy 36, Vancouver Islands area, May 2013, six days
First mate: Bareboat charter of Carpenter 29, with one other person, Queen Charlotte Sound, 6-days, March 2014
First mate: Bareboat charter of Jeanneau 36, with one other person, Queen Charlotte Sound, 4-days, March 2014
First mate: Bareboat charter of Barvaria 35, with 3 others, BVI, 7 days April 2014
First mate: Bareboat charter with 3 others, BVI, 7 days April 2014 (with a different pair of non-sailor friends)

Skills actively practiced especially when there are just two of us onboard.
Navigation: determining Course to Steer, DR, EP, 3 pt fix, running fix, clearing lines, tidal calculations when relevant
Emergency response: MOB with and without engine, heaving to and figuring out how to hold that position
Anchoring: stern line ashore, two anchors off bow (not so much due to drag concerns but to limit swing and experiment), picking up moorings smoothly (and first try), snubber.
Sail trim: reefing (slab, boom furling), when to adjust boom vang/Cunningham/downhaul; beating most efficient line (when to tack); running: when to gybe, assessing position of jib fairleads for right sail tension, avoiding being stalled out: watching the tell tales, preparing for oncoming puffs/lulls, playing with the balance of the sails (slight weather helm); running with just jib; wing-on-wing with jury-rigged whisker pole and preventer for boom.

Additional Skills: managing risk in difficult conditions where rescue is not an option (and I am the one responsible); knots; advanced climbing and rescue rigging (including mechanical advantage systems); advanced map/compass navigation (terrestrial); GPS (terrestrial), VHF and HF radios, basic marine radar (as part of Antarctic Search and Rescue); living in small tight spaces for weeks on end with others in professional contexts (what we call “expedition behavior!”); dealing with severe weather; situational awareness including weather shifts and reading terrain/surfaces: rock/snow/ice; provisioning for extended expeditions; managing health and equipment on extended expeditions; basic snowmobile repair skills; helicopters: safety and cargo rigging skills. Spanish (somewhere between “can get around” and “conversational”)

Additional Aptitudes:
A lot of time in exposed, wide-open challenging environments: Continuous weeks above tree-line: rock and snow (or arctic tundra), Antarctic plateau (Great White Expanse), desert.
No history of sea sickness. Enjoy flying in small aircraft (single-engine fixed-wing and helicopters) in rough places like the Arctic and Antarctic.
Strong swimmer. Fit. Health-oriented.

Favorite Sailing Books:
Colgate’s Basic Sailing Theory, Stephen Colgate (truly studied)
Blue Water Voyaging, Beth Leonard
Heavy Weather Sailing, Peter Bruce (Adlard Cole)
(Oceans, National Museum of Natural History, UK. Basic oceanography: physical/biological; wonderful; truly studied)
Articles from many sources on navigation, weather, tides, above-listed technical skills

Relevant Certifications:
· Wilderness First Responder and CPR; WMI, kept current since 1991

Relevant Training and Education:
· RYA Day Skipper Course, ‘Sail Nelson’, Tasman Bay, NZ Feb 2013
· Outdoor Emergency Care, National Ski Patrol, Eldora Mountain, Colorado, fall 2002
· Rigging for Rescue, 7-day seminar, Ouray, Colorado; summer 2005
· Rigging training with Jenny Lake Rangers, Grand Teton National Park, 2 days each spring 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009
· Rescue Rigging, 5-day course, SAR Institute of New Zealand, Sept 2006, Sept 2010, Sept 2011, Sept 2012, Sept 2013, Sept 2014
· B.A. Biology and Environmental Studies, High Honors, Dean’s List, Honors Thesis, magna cum laude.

Tags
atlantic crossing