Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2016, 16:31   #1

Boat: PDQ 44i
March, eastern Caribbean

Learn to Cruise in the Lesser Antilles

I am looking for volunteer crew for March 2017. I usually cruise with my wife all winter, but she will be off the boat in March, and I'd rather not single-hand. My ship is a PDQ 44i (see liveantares.com) In exchange for helping with sailing and all the ship's work, I am willing to teach you how to live-aboard, and to prepare you to charter in the Caribbean. I should think that 7-14 days on board would allow for a nice balance of learning and fun.

You must be a competent, non-smoking, non-drinking, congenial sailor or sailing-couple to apply. I plan to select my crew sometime this autumn. Send a personal message via this forum to "doublewide" if you are interested.

My ship is insured for personal, not business use. Expenses will be shared. You will not be paid. You will not pay me. You could think of it as an almost-free, live-aboard sailing course. Talk about win-win! I hold both OUPV (six-pack), and Master-100 ton: sail and power USCG licenses. My crew will receive a letter of evaluation for their sailing resume'.

Captain Markham
Old 19-06-2016, 08:54   #2

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: March, eastern Caribbean

Capt. Markham,

I saw your post and am interested in the offer. I am somewhat new to sailing, but have ASA certifications through Coastal Navigation and Advanced Coastal Cruising. This includes night passage. I also skippered a 7 day cruise in the BVI this past Dec. I am especially interested in crewing with someone with your credentials.

I don't smoke, drink, or use drugs. I'm semi retired and my time is flexible in March. Two to three weeks won't be a problem. I live a healthy life style, am quite fit and a strong swimmer. My philosophy of sailing is safety, efficiency, safety, economy, safety, and then safety.

I look forward to the opportunity to talk with you further.

Respectfully,

Buck O'Neil
buck@pisgahforge.com
828 329-9200
Old 04-07-2016, 17:08   #3

Very interesting opportunity, that my wife and I would be interested in participating in. We are both ASA rated 101/103/104/114 and have time on Catalinia 22's. Catalinia 25's, Gemini 34, Lagoon 380, Lagoon 39, FP 40, and FP 44 as either captain or as a crewmember. This includes cretifications and a charter in BVI. If work scheduled allows we plan on taking 105 and 106 before this trip.

We are in our infant stages of preparing for a boat purchase and live aboard life. I'm about 4 years out from final retirement unless something unexpected comes up that would delay that decision. This would be an excellent opportunity to learn and gain additional experience before casting off the lines for good.

I'm a retired from the Army as a helicopter pilot and aviation maintenance officer. So taking orders and directions, conducting maintenance, and navigating come fairly natural to me. We can both cook fairly well but are not chefs by any means.

We don't really have any vices. We have both quit smoking and are usings e-cigs to reduce our addiction to nicotine. We're both at the lowest level right now and should be off of those by March. We are not "tea totalers" but I can count on my two hands how many drinks I have had in the last 15 years. We're both in fairly good physical condition, maybe carrying several more pounds than we need to, and I deal with some aches and pains in joints that 20 plus years of military service contributed towards.

We look forward to discussing our chance to participate in a two week sailing opportunity the Eastern Carribean. It appears to be an excellent way to learn and increase our knowledge of sailing and the live aboard live.

Thanks

Ron

RLBeach57ATyahooDOTcom
Old 02-08-2016, 15:47   #4

Boat: Sweet 16

Hello,
My wife and I are very interested in the opportunity to gain experience aboard a quality cat. I have bareboat certifications from ASA and U.S. Sailing (seemed like a good idea at the time). In July I captained a 41' Jeanneau in the Apostle Islands on Superior, In February we crewed a 41' Jeanneau from Ft. Lauderdale to Biscayne Bay and back, in October I'll captain with my wife a 46' Bavaria in the BVI, so generally good, miscellaneous experience but nothing approaching a 100T captain...
I'm a healthy 66 year old, own my own business so am quite flexible. I'm Canadian, so no bad habits don'tyaknow, and Kansas City is home.
Please let me know if this might be a fit.
Best wishes,
Dave
dgale@galecommunities.com
Old 02-08-2016, 19:44   #5

Hello, I am very interested in having the opportunity to sail on a Cat since all my experience has been on monohulls. I am a married 66 year old retiree. I have degree in Mechanical Engineering and worked in the nuclear industry for 40 years. This past winter I completed my ASA 104 and my wife completed her ASA 101/103 my wife in The BVI. I have also completed ASA 105/107/118. This summer I crewed on a 42 foot Southerly for 4 weeks on the Chesapeake Bay. I am an avid sailor, cyclist and golfer. For additional information contact me via email at hfkgjk@epix.net.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:24   #6

Boat: Nacra F18

March 2017? Your are planning ahead!

I have 40 years of sailing experience. Been Sailing since I was 3 years old. I have sailed boats ranging from a dingy to 50ft racing yacht. I have owned countless boats since the age of 14. Most relevant was a Yankee 38 in San Diego, CA. I have cruised & raced so cal & Mexico, Lake MI, & countless inland lakes. I am NOT certified in anyway. Can anyone learn how to sail in a weekend class? Thought about a captains lic. but figured paying my slip fee was more important at the time.

My wife, has very little sailing experience. She is the one in need. Neither of us smoke, do drugs, or need to drink.

Long term goal is to cruise the world. Thanks for the opportunity.

~Dale & Michelle
Old 10-08-2016, 19:43   #7

My name is Greg Davis and I am interested in your offer.

Ten years ago three friends and I took a seven day barefoot charter vacation on a Moorings 45 foot catamaran based in Saint-Martin. Only one of us knew anything about sailing and it wasn’t me. Other than that week I have no sailing experience, skills, or knowledge. Nevertheless, I loved the barefoot experience and have dreamed of getting back on a sailing catamaran since.

I am now a 68 year old, retired, single guy who wants to experience and learn the basics of sailing a cruising catamaran. To that end I would like to volunteer as a crew member on your boat. I will consider any opportunity that my airfare to where I am to meet the boat and home again is reasonable. My home is in eastern North Carolina and I am available on short notice. I am a native born US citizen. I have a current US Passport.

Even though I am 68 I am young at heart and in excellent mental and physical health. I was never really an athlete, but have always been athletic. I am intelligent, well educated, and a very fast learner. I have traveled, lived, and worked outside of the US. I have much more common sense than most. I am handy with tools and know a bit about engines, motors, and electronics. I am independent, dependable, and have a strong work ethic. I also like to play. I get along well with others, but easily speak my mind when it is called for.

I drink alcohol socially, but will give it up while on your boat. I have never used tobacco or recreational drugs. My only interaction with the police has been to wave when they ride by, and I intend to keep it that way. Therefore, I will not associate with anyone that involves themselves in illegal activities. Further, I will not work or live in close quarters with anyone that uses tobacco. I also will not live or work in a drama filled or abusive environment.

If you think I may be a suitable candidate for a position on your boat or if you require additional information before making such a determination please email me at: gdavis77@suddenlink.net.

Allow me to thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Best Regards,

Greg Davis gdavis77@suddenlink.net

Tags
arc, Caribbean, eastern caribbean, rib