Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 15:54   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 37' sloop
Marathon FL To Bahamas

Hi Folks,
We are on our way to the Bahamas on our 1977 37' Gulfstar sloop. Currently doing final provisioning in the Florida keys and planning to head over to Bimini on Friday, in case the forecasts stay as they are. Nothing really against waiting for the next window. The boat has been on the hard and worked on for the last couple of months after returning from a trip to the Dominican Republic.

We are a laid back vagabond cruising couple (35m German national and 29f American), looking for a roughly same age crew to have a safe and fun trip to Georgetown Exumas with. We are open mindend and have been on the water the last couple of years. We enjoy having fun, drinking, having beach bbqs, fishing and swimming, although we love sailing and want to sail back to Georgetown quickly rather than spending weeks in Nassau or doing slow island hopping. I have a German and British captains license and we are both familiar with the Bahamian waters.

If you - max 2 persons or a couple - are interested, contact us via email at danielkarlkrause at gmail dot com for a first phone/skype call or meeting. Travel expenses to and from the boat are on your team; we would be happy to split the usual costs such as provisions, diesel etc. Major boat stuff / repairs are of course on us.

Happy to hear from you,
Fair winds,
Daniel
S/V Gypsy Spirit
Old 14-01-2016, 12:54   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 25
Re: Marathon FL To Bahamas

Might want to check that weather forecast again, I work up the coast from your location and just got a warning for 50mph winds and hail for Friday.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 16-01-2016, 07:47   #3

Im gypsy spirit's girlfriend, and answer emails faster... Interested people please email me, Meagan, at ameagansample at gmail

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-01-2016, 08:11   #4

Boat: csy 37

GypsySpirit, I think you may already have a "full" boat. We two cruise on a very similar boat - a CSY 37 - and think it would get pretty crowded pretty quickly with even one more on board. Also, if you have difficulty with the crew, it could be a real problem getting them off the boat as you will have some responsibility for their "repatriation" back to the USA, or whatever country they hold a passport in. Every "happy" boat we've ever met in the Bahamas were crewed by one couple or a singlehander.

If you're concerned about the crossing, dont be. Just wait for good weather. From Marathon its "downhill" on the Gulf Stream, the easy way (we have to go "uphill"). Once you arrive you will begin to meet other cruisers who all have the same interests and concerns so you will begin to create your own social net. We are still friends with cruisers we met many years ago in the Bahamas.

Plenty of information on this forum about cruising the Bahamas. Just a few suggestions;

Get the Explorer series of chartbooks for any area of the Bahamas you will visit. They are Indispensable.

If you go to the Abacos, and you should, also get the Dodge Cruising Guide to the Abacos.

Take everything with you, especially spares. Anything you need there will be expensive and/or difficult to find.

Your entrance fee will be $300. Cash.

Good luck to you two...
Old 16-01-2016, 11:07   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 37' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
GypsySpirit, I think you may already have a "full" boat. We two cruise on a very similar boat - a CSY 37 - and think it would get pretty crowded pretty quickly with even one more on board.
Thank you so much for your opinion on how we should handle our boat and cruise! It's my first day on a boat, so I really appreciate people's random thoughts on what they think is the right thing to do. I'm pretty grateful you enlightened me about how and when a Gulfstar 37 is overcrowded with 3 souls. It's indeed a very small vessel and now I even think two people would be too much, so I evacuated the boat and I'm writing this from a safe spot on shore. Thank god!!

Quote:
Also, if you have difficulty with the crew, it could be a real problem getting them off the boat as you will have some responsibility for their "repatriation" back to the USA, or whatever country they hold a passport in. Every "happy" boat we've ever met in the Bahamas were crewed by one couple or a singlehander.
Usually I just chuck my crew overboard if I can't get along with them. Like, you know, drug them and tie and anchor to their ankle and all that. That's why my port supply card is so nice, it gets me 50% off all these anchors. At some points I think that human beings, especially adults, do have some responsibility for themselves, but then i'm all like, nope, anchor.

Quote:
If you're concerned about the crossing, dont be. Just wait for good weather. From Marathon its "downhill" on the Gulf Stream, the easy way (we have to go "uphill"). Once you arrive you will begin to meet other cruisers who all have the same interests and concerns so you will begin to create your own social net. We are still friends with cruisers we met many years ago in the Bahamas.
For some reasons nobody I ever met in the Bahamas wants to stay friends with me. Probably because it's hard to get cell phone reception from Davy Jones locker. Or maybe because I don't meet people at all. Or maybe because I've never been to the Bahamas. Yeah. That must be it.

Quote:
Get the Explorer series of chartbooks for any area of the Bahamas you will visit. They are Indispensable.
I only and exclusively use navionics on my loran. Its the best, you should try it.

Quote:
if you go to the Abacos, and you should, also get the Dodge Cruising Guide to the Abacos.

Take everything with you, especially spares. Anything you need there will be expensive and/or difficult to find.
Dude, do you know how much space and weight all these Danforths take up?? Only close friends get a Mantus. No room for spares.

Quote:
Your entrance fee will be $300. Cash.

Good luck to you two...
Nah, I pay by credit card. A country that doesn't accept cards and wants cash is not on my list. Who tells me they aren't just pocketing the money I just pulled out of my crews pockets before I tied an anchor to their ankl... Well. I mean, seriously, man. Do I get a receipt? Will my mom agree on this? And what happens if I run into a container in the gulfstream while a whale breaches on my foredeck while dolphins rape my girlfriend and there is a 30 knot norther blowing and I'm out of anchors to heave to??
Old 16-01-2016, 17:53   #6

Have a nice day. And take your pills.
Old 16-01-2016, 19:15   #7

Boat: HR352 -> Falmouth Cutter 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV gypsy spirit View Post
Thank you so much for your opinion on how we should handle our boat and cruise! It's my first day on a boat, so I really appreciate people's random thoughts on what they think is the right thing to do. I'm pretty grateful you enlightened me about how and when a Gulfstar 37 is overcrowded with 3 souls. It's indeed a very small vessel and now I even think two people would be too much, so I evacuated the boat and I'm writing this from a safe spot on shore. Thank god!!

Usually I just chuck my crew overboard if I can't get along with them. Like, you know, drug them and tie and anchor to their ankle and all that. That's why my port supply card is so nice, it gets me 50% off all these anchors. At some points I think that human beings, especially adults, do have some responsibility for themselves, but then i'm all like, nope, anchor.

For some reasons nobody I ever met in the Bahamas wants to stay friends with me. Probably because it's hard to get cell phone reception from Davy Jones locker. Or maybe because I don't meet people at all. Or maybe because I've never been to the Bahamas. Yeah. That must be it.

I only and exclusively use navionics on my loran. Its the best, you should try it.

Dude, do you know how much space and weight all these Danforths take up?? Only close friends get a Mantus. No room for spares.

Nah, I pay by credit card. A country that doesn't accept cards and wants cash is not on my list. Who tells me they aren't just pocketing the money I just pulled out of my crews pockets before I tied an anchor to their ankl... Well. I mean, seriously, man. Do I get a receipt? Will my mom agree on this? And what happens if I run into a container in the gulfstream while a whale breaches on my foredeck while dolphins rape my girlfriend and there is a 30 knot norther blowing and I'm out of anchors to heave to??
I thoroughly enjoyed this
Old 16-01-2016, 20:05   #8

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Me too...sounds like they would be a hoot to sail with...
Old 17-01-2016, 09:17   #9

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Thumbs down Re: Marathon FL To Bahamas

Wow! I had thought about asking to crew with Gypsy , after reading his response to what I thought to be a sincere offer of good advise I think I would be better of crewing elsewhere.

Good luck with your cruise, hopefully you will meet lots of people just like you.
Old 17-01-2016, 16:55   #10

Haha

Ahem.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-01-2016, 17:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Good luck with your cruise, hopefully you will meet lots of people just like you.
Thankfully he won't. And thats good news for the rest of us.
Old 19-01-2016, 16:28   #12

Boat: Cruisers 338 chateau vee

Now that's my kind of boat!! Anchors Away!!
Old 20-01-2016, 03:30   #13

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you....what a bunch of fuddy duddy idiots! It is obvious to me that Daniel and Megan are FUN people and seriously accomplished sailors. They have been to the Bahamas...multiple times (hence why tell them the entry fee), just returned from the Dominican Republic. I have sailed with four other people on a 41 footer...all got along and had a blast! Ya got in his face...telling him how to run HIS ship, forcing your simpleminded personal opinions on him, and he made fun of your BS...he teased the crap out of you, not a hint of arrogance, just great humor, I hope he writes a book...I am lmfao from the humor! It is the negative responders that scare me! I would have no problem on that boat, except perhaps I am not as quick witted...almost though! Fair winds to Daniel and Megan!
Old 20-01-2016, 04:41   #14

Boat: 39 Fountaine Pajot

Ok that was funny I hope the wife and I meet you out there one day, sound like fun��
Old 21-01-2016, 07:26   #15

Boat: Pearson 34-II

And they say Germans don't have a sense of humor? Good luck and safe sailing.

Tags
Bahamas