Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2008, 10:10   #1

Looking to Rent a live-aboard in Washington DC area

Hello!

I am looking to rent a live-aboard next summer in the Washington DC area for 6-8 months. It is just me and a very well-behaved dog. I have some boating experience, racing sailboats as a teenager and borrowing a friends yacht in Malaysia and Hawaii often, but am relatively new to the live-aboard world.

I am looking for advice on how to find live-aboard rentals, and how to make myself an appealing tenant. I am a government employee with a stable (guaranteed) income, and a great rental and credit history, so hopefully that will help!

Where are some good forums for finding rentals out there? Is this common? What are some possible pitfalls of renting/leasing?

Many thanks!

Joyce
Old 20-06-2008, 10:48   #2

Joyce, I've never heard of renting someone's boat to live in. I'm sure it's happened before, but I'd be surprised to see an ad by an owner looking to rent out his boat as a dwelling.

Anyone have any sources?
Old 20-06-2008, 10:51   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore '38 - "God Willing"
Live aboard rental? I'm not sure that there is such a thing in DC. Perhaps in England or Holland. Not in DC, as far as I know.

I mean, who will buy an 25k boat for you and rent it to back to you for 25k, with your own insurance coverage. At which point, the owners will keep your 5k damage deposit. You can sue the owner in court to get it back.

That's a good deal for you right?? It's a nasty business, renting houses. Not to mention it's worse for renting boats. If you've got good credit, get out and look at the boat yards. Buy something, deduct the interest payments as your second home, from your taxes. Pay the doc fees, and maintanence. Sell the boat when you're done. It's not so economical as it sounds to live aboard.
Old 20-06-2008, 20:14   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Joyce, at least one of the major marinas in DC allows liveaboards and houseboats. Are you looking for a houseboat? Or a boat that you will be sailing and only co-incidentally living on? There's a huge difference.

I'd suggest you go down to the marinas, walk out on the docks, ask around and see if anyone is selling a houseboat, because inner city slips tend to be VERY hard to get, with or without a boat.

Long term boat rentals, practically unheard of.
Old 23-07-2008, 11:50   #5

Boat: Hunter 34 Blackhorse
DC Marina

I live in the DC area and was considering living aboard. There s only one marina in the DC metro area which allows liveaboards, the Gang Plank. The current waiting list for a slip there is about one year. You may want to try the Annapolis or Deale MD area.

I have not heard of anyone renting out a boat for a live aboard. I agree with buying one in decent shape for 20-30K and selling it when you leave. Keep in mind there are no liveaboard slips available in DC. I keep mine in Baltimore.

Good Luck
Bob E
Old 23-07-2008, 13:24   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The concept of a boat as a residence in an urban area has about played out between the prices and the facilities they are getting more hard to find. No one rents out their boat as a residence. The costs vs. rent just would never add up.

They have something like that here but I think it's more like 2 week summer rentals. These were basically barges that can't go any place.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:23   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Twelve years ago there were four house-barges at Gangplank, and two were rented to family and friends. It was a convenient place to stay, within walking distance of the Waterfront Metro Station. But that was then. Its worth a call to Gangplank, because they won't even say "No" unless you ask!
I know you are worried about finding a dog-friendly place within a decent commute: just resign yourself to riding a bus to the metro, and leave your car at home. That will expand your options to include the Northern Virginia suburbs. There are a few older row houses for rent with small gardens in Alexandria. Get a place with a doggy door. Remember that Fed and City workers qualify for public transit subsidy.

Tags
Washington DC