Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 09:32   #1

Looking to learn

Hello All,
I am looking to learn how to sail, and would like to get your advise on how to get hands-on. Best regards

Old 09-03-2014, 10:12   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Looking to learn

Hi Dan
My advice to you is join a local sailing club if there is one near you and get out on the water, sail with as many different people as you can find, most genuine sailors love to help new people learn to sail, once you have some wind awareness you could consider taking a sailing course.
Read some books, there are thousands out there on the subject, there are lots boat specific terms you will need to understand, and it is always better to get the basic understanding of the terminology before you invest money in courses.

You could join a sailing association, in the US there is US Sailing and the ASA, in Canada there is the CYA, in the UK and some parts of Europe the RYA, plus many others, all these associations have websites with valuable sources of free information and links to sailing schools worldwide.

Once you have some basic skills you could sign up on one of the many crewing websites, crewseekers.net is very strong in Europe and Hank at OPO.com does a very good job in the US, you could then get free crewing positions on trips in many parts of the world.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride!

Old 09-03-2014, 10:30   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortolasailing View Post
Hi Dan
My advice to you is join a local sailing club if there is one near you and get out on the water, sail with as many different people as you can find, most genuine sailors love to help new people learn to sail!
Welcome to CF...

Bingo on the above advice!

Post in the crew available section with a location...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 09-03-2014, 10:34   #4

Hello All, and thank you very much for your advises. I live in Northern NJ and it seem we luck sailing schools in here, the closets I've found is 2 hrs one-way-drive. I've been reading everything I can get my eyes on, I guess I've gotten a case of "TMI", need to digest and sort everything out, and I believe the best way is to do "hands-on", to connect terminology with real items
Old 09-03-2014, 10:43   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
Hello All, and thank you very much for your advises. I live in Northern NJ and it seem we luck sailing schools in here, the closets I've found is 2 hrs one-way-drive. I've been reading everything I can get my eyes on, I guess I've gotten a case of "TMI", need to digest and sort everything out, and I believe the best way is to do "hands-on", to connect terminology with real items
Dan...

PLENTY of NJ/NY guys here.... Be honest in your "crew looking" post, and I bet you get lots of offers to come along to learn... Offer a few dollars for fuel and let them know you'll help with squaring the boat away, and you'll likely have more than lots of offers...

Old 09-03-2014, 10:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Dan...

PLENTY of NJ/NY guys here.... Be honest in your "crew looking" post, and I bet you get lots of offers to come along to learn... Offer a few dollars for fuel and let them know you'll help with squaring the boat away, and you'll likely have more than lots of offers...
First of all i am HONEST, and don't take it lightly when people accusing me of being dishonest for no particular reason. I am new and don't know anything about sailing, this is the reason I am on this forum - to learn. I am more then willing to contribute to the expenses and help with the sails/boat.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:00   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
First of all i am HONEST, and don't take it lightly when people accusing me of being dishonest for no particular reason. I am new and don't know anything about sailing, this is the reason I am on this forum - to learn. I am more then willing to contribute to the expenses and help with the sails/boat.
Easy Danster... Whoaa Boy...

NOBODY accused you of being dishonest... In the SLIGHTEST....

We're here to help... willingly do so... and have a great community....

Please assume that any replies to your posts are not personal attacks unless clearly stated.... "this is a personal attack"...

You'll get a lot more help...

Old 09-03-2014, 11:05   #8

It is the way my Father taught me: you have to protect your reputation, at the end it's all you have.First you work for it, then it works for you. I didn't care for the choice of words.
I am willing to admit that I have no idea of "inter workings" of sailing/boating community and accepted rules of conduct. I am willing and want to learn
Old 09-03-2014, 11:21   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good enough....

Old 10-03-2014, 12:40   #10

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Woww! I didn't think HappyMdRSailor deserved that. Whew!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:46   #11

I've already explained my point of view
Old 10-03-2014, 12:54   #12

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Yes you have, Dan. And as a person who looks in this section of the forum for potential crew, I have to say that anyone who is so quick to jump to conclusions and hurl accusations would not be welcome aboard my boat. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-03-2014, 13:02   #13
Marine Service Provider

Here's my two cents as a professional instructor...can anyone guess? Get professional instruction! You may do fine by the seat of your pants, with friends, through good folks trying to help, crewing here and there, sailing clubs etc--it all may work but as with many services, you will do best with a professional and will get what you pay for...or not get what you don't pay for. Many sailing schools will provide a retired person with decades of experience teaching for fun--because they pay ain't so good....or they'll put you on a small boat with a few others and a high school student at minimum wage. None of these options are necessarily bad but what kind of boat do you want to be on? And where? And for a day or a weekend or longer? Just keep in mind that basic and fundamental sailing skills are pretty easy and similar. Halyard, sheet, tiller, boom...voila...don't sail into the wind, sheet in, fall off etc etc etc....But perfecting those skills, broadening your knowledge, developing a sense of seamanship and an increasingly comfortable and confident sense of sailing ..well it's a lifetime of sailing. I am opinionated and motivated to say that a highly experienced sailor with highly honed skills of teaching and communicating and doing so in a comfortable and confidence-building manner is crucial. When you hire a professional, you hire that professional. When you go to a sailing school they put a staffperson on your boat. Might be good. Might not be. There is a reason why we have schools and universities and professors in academia who are credentialed and there is a reason why the best schools and best instructors with credentials generally provide better value when learning to sail. I hope this is helpful. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2014, 14:11   #14

Thank you for your input
Old 10-03-2014, 14:32   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I first learned to sail as crew on a race boat (Tartan 10) when I was in grad school in Houston. One of my classmates knew that I had co-driven rally cars. She approached my one day and told me that that she knew I did not get motion sick and was not afraid of some risk taking. When I agreed she asked if I was interested in crewing on a racing yacht. I said sure, but knew nothing about it. She said that they would teach me. I started as a grinder and worked my way up to spinnaker trimmer.

If you are willing to learn and willing to work on the boat, you may be able to get a ride. One of my jobs was the scrub the water line a day before the race. All of us helped to snug the boat down afterwards.

When I got back home I took lessons and got my first levels of certifications after which I sailed for several years before taken the next levels and eventually became an instructor.

Lessons from a professional instructor do help. You have learn from their experience.