Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2008, 11:18   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
Looking to crew out of S.E. Asia- Jan/ Feb: Feeler

Hi,

I am just putting this out there as a feeler. I may be looking to crew out of S.E. Asia in January or February. Probably Vietnam or Thailand. I am currently in Hong Kong.

Here is a brief rundown of my situation. I set out to sail around the world, solo, in October from San Diego. 9 days in, I hit bad weather from Hurricane Norbert, and my boat became disabled, breaking its rudder post. I was over 800 miles from land, and had to be rescued by a freight ship that was headed to China. I am now in Hong Kong, and plan on leaving Hong Kong Jan. 1 on a bicycle, trying to make it to Spain, so that I can try to jump on a boat back across the Atlantic to the US, and then cycle back to San Diego.

I *was* planning on riding straight to spain, but I don't think i'll be able to get a visa for myanmar or pakistan, and i would like to avoid flying if possible. This is the reason why I am potentially looking to crew on a boat leaving S.E. Asia.

Information about me: I am a 23 year old male who holds a current U.S. passport. I have only been sailing since March, but I think I have gained a lot of experience (relatively speaking) in this short period of time. While I have not technically done any (complete) ocean crossings yet, I think that I would be very good crew. I don't get sea sick, i'm responsible, generally mechanically inclined, respectful and considerate of others. I am a team player and will do whatever I can to help sail the boat. I can stand watch, help fix problems, etc.

So, if you are on a cruising boat leaving Thailand or Vietnam in January or February, or even Hong Kong in January, and are going to India, the Suez Canal or even to South Africa, I may be very interested in helping you crew your boat. I will have a bicycle and some gear with me, but it should be pretty easy to stow somewhere. I had a mountain bike and road bike on my boat, and it wasn't too hard to find space for.

Everyone, please keep this thread on topic. If you wish to talk about my ill-fated voyage to Hawaii and why im in Hong Kong, or just flame me, there's already a 25 page thread about it elsewhere on this site. Please do it there.

Thanks!

If you would like to read more about me, to get a better idea of who I am, to see if we might be compatible, I have a website listed in my signature.

Tags
Asia