Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 08:39   #1

Boat: OPB while I search for mine
Looking to crew around southeastern US - short notice OK

Hi all,

I'm an easygoing 34 year old looking to gain more experience offshore, add to my coastal sailing time, and learn more of the ins and outs of working on sailboats before joining the ranks of liveaboard cruisers myself. In terms of my sailing experience I sailed on the Great Lakes as a teen, and currently sail around Georgia. I have my ASA 101 & 103 and have done some coastal cruising as well as crewed on the ICW, in addition to a good bit of lake sailing. I've sailed on both mono and multihulls and I'm competent with boat handling on both.

I'd love to crew for you on any trips or passages, and I'm equally happy to spend time helping with whatever boatwork or maintenance you may need a hand with as well. I'm able to steer a course and take a watch as needed. I'm also reasonably handy, able to follow directions well, and don't mind slogging away at brightwork or the like. I'm also a quick learner, so you'll rarely have to show me something twice (other than possibly knots , but I've at least got my bowline and clove hitch down.)

As for other useful skills, I worked my way through school as an EMT in the rural mountains and an Emergency Room tech in an inner city trauma center, so I have fairly extensive medical experience, much of it in places where doctors aren't 10 minutes and a phone call away. So, I can handle most any medical issues that may come up, from insect bites to IVs, or sprains to suturing, and I'm always happy to share my knowledge and teach if you want to learn.

As for a bit more about me, I'm a writer/editor and photographer. I've done quite a bit of travel so I've learned to get along pretty well with most people and I aim to get through life with a philosophy of 'live and let live', so unless you're Captain Bligh's evil stepmother we'll probably get along fine.

I'm a non-smoker, am not prone to seasickness (though I keep scopalamine patches on hand to be safe), and steer well clear of illicit substances. I'm also not a big drinker, so if you prefer to keep a dry ship it's not a problem for me. I have my own weather gear">foul weather gear and PFD/harness.

My long term plan is a boat and liveaboard cruising, but since I'm not there yet I'm eager to build my skills and learn from those who know the things I don't. I'm pretty well read when it comes to sailing and cruising, but I know well enough that there's a big difference between well-read and experienced, so I'd like to gain the experience.

My schedule is generally open and I always keep a current passport, so short notice usually isn't a problem. I live northeast of Atlanta but I'm willing to travel to meet the boat throughout the southeast (and even further afield if you're willing to help cover transport or for the right experience). If you're looking for someone to crew for you for a couple of days, a couple of weeks, or perhaps even longer then please keep me in mind.

You can reach me by e-mail at dsdphoto at gmail or PM me here and I'll pass on my cell number. Thanks in advance!

Fair winds and following seas,

Darren
Old 06-12-2014, 09:15   #2

Location: Salish Sea in summer/Puerto Vallarta in the winter - no boat just sun and beaches!
Boat: Benford 34 Junk Schooner
Re: Looking to crew around southeastern US - short notice OK

I need crew starting in late January for a trip from Rio Dulce Guatemala through the Panama Canal and north to Mexico. Both the southbound and northbound legs of the voyage have one spot open at the moment. PM me for more information if interested, or see my post under Crew Wanted on this forum.

Tags
crew