Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 23:07   #1

Looking for the next adventure

Hey guys, I'm new here, but thought I'd post and see where this goes...

I'm looking to get out of town, to escape this winter weather... I'm looking for life's next grand adventure. I am looking for passage to the tropics, south pacific, south America, Caribbean, basically anywhere warm and sunny with electric blue waters and lazy cantinas with umbrella drinks with nothing better to do than enjoy life the way we were meant to.

A little bit about me

I am 25, and have lived in the same small tiny town most of my life. My town is also the gateway to the San Juan islands in the northwest. Growing up here I've been exposed to boating all of my life. In high school I raced on the school sailing team for 4 years, and have raced on a number of other boats including a hobie 33, I even got to do an evening race in a harbor 20 at the Newport harbor yacht club. I currently own a San Juan 21 mk 1 fixed keel, but have had a handful of other boats in the past power and sail alike. Because the schools here are tied in with the marine industry, I got a job right away with a yacht yard working as a diesel mechanics apprentice, from there I moved onto boat building. I worked in a glass shop for the better part of 3 years doing custom composite fabrication and the construction of a spirited 380 sail cat. When the economy crashed I was albe to keep working in the marine trades until 2010 when i attended school for certifications. I am capable of glass work, mechanical, electrical, plus general maintaince. I had to leave the prograb because it was around the same time I began my career as a commercial fisherman, since then I have worked on boats ranging from 32 feet up to 104 feet and have crab fished on both the Washington coast, and the Bering sea in the winter (think deadliest catch), gillnetted, and packed salmon in prince William sound in the summer, including navigational watch, equipment maintaince, cleaning, cooking, and getting along with everybody in extremely tight quarters. Life on a fishing boat isn't much different than a sail boat, and I am adapted to life at sea

No drug or alcohol problems, no criminal history, and I have references, plus I don't get sea sick. drama and bs free

I have a sailing background, I'm a good guy to have on a boat, and can handle a lot. I'm rusty on my sailing skills, but every boat is different, and every boat takes a little learning..... I am currently working on getting my able bodied seaman lisence.

But yeah, I'm wanting to get out of town....

I'm looking for life's next grand adventure and I'd love to be a part of your crew

-Erik
Old 10-12-2013, 20:52   #2

Re: Looking for the next adventure

Forgot to add, I can chip in with some cash, plus I understand that outfitting for a voyage includes a lot of prep work and logistics, and I am willing to do my part for getting the vessel ready, including maintaince ....
Old 13-12-2013, 05:27   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 440
Re: Looking for the next adventure

Erik,
I am looking for crew on a Catalina Morgan 440 sailing sloop heading from Bocas del Toro, Panama to Tortola BVI. Would like to leave in the next two weeks and could be stopping in Cayman, Jamaica, Cuba or Puerto Rico along the way, depending on timing and weather. Boat is ready to go, just need crew. If you have any interest in making such a trip, please contact me via email at alexanderaboard@gmail.com and I will give you as much info as you like about me, the boat and the trip. Thanks, Bill.