Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 08:53   #1

Location: I am now in Northwest Spain (Galicia) and will be moving to Portugal, maybe Madeira, Canaries and maybe Cabo Verde, always having Brazil as my destination.
Boat: I am looking for crewing opportunities to sail from Europe to Brazil.
Looking for Sailing Boats From Europe to Brazil in 2010

Hello,

I am Thomas Prestes, Brazilian and Italian citzen, 26 yrs old, and I'm looking for a sailing boat going from Europe to Brazil still in 2010.

I am currently in Galicia, northwest Spain, living, sailing and working in a home-built,14 meters, 20 yrs old Chinese Junk. This is the boat's blog: nuthin-wong.blogspot.com/

It's been 2 weeks and a half I am at sea, and I will be for at least another week and a half in this boat. That's pretty much my sailing experience.

I am ready to steer, stand watches, to help with charts, gps, repairing, cleaning, cooking, baking and in fact with anything that's needed.

If you have or know about any opportunities please contact me: thomasprestes at gmail dot com.

All the best,

Thomas

Old 07-09-2010, 12:22   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
While in Galicia, keep eye on any boats going with the ARC. You can ask them to post your ad in the Sailor's Bar, Las Palmas. Or you can get with them a ride to Las Palmas and keep on looking for your chance here. Just be aware that once you get here there are not many boats that will take you back to the Peninsula - and the flight is costly.

From LP most boats leaving for Brazil are departing after the ARC, December and January possibly the most popular time.

As much as I could see last year and two years ago, the charge per a hitch-hiker was anything from 500 EUR upwards.

Cheers,
b.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:12   #3

Location: I am now in Northwest Spain (Galicia) and will be moving to Portugal, maybe Madeira, Canaries and maybe Cabo Verde, always having Brazil as my destination.
Boat: I am looking for crewing opportunities to sail from Europe to Brazil.
Hello Barnakiel

Thanks very much for your reply. I will keep a bright eye for ARC sailors and boats going to the Canaries in general.

I must say I'm a bit confused with the timing for crossing the Atlantic to Brazil. I've heard different things from different people. Some have said the season starts in September, has it's peak in October and November and finishes in December, but I've also heard from good sources that the time is December/January. Would you by chance know why is it that there is this type of "controversy" regarding the right time for crossing?!

Anyhow, I am and will be looking for boats during the coming months so I imagine sooner or later I will find something..!

Again, I thank you for your post.

Best regards,
Thomas
Old 08-09-2010, 11:03   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
crossing to Brasil from S Europe

A boat can cross to Brasil from SW Europe any time of the year.

The time when most boats cross is dictated by two factors:

- end of summer/fall in Europe,
- the hurricanes period in N Atlantic.

So, most boats going to Brasil depart Europe before winter storms set in and some of them will avoid making the passage between July and October.

Technically, this passage can be done any time yet for the reasons given above 90% of boats pick up a specific time slot (November till June) and again perhaps half of them going (at least from here) December thru March.

Cheers,
barnie

Tags
Brazil